Lazarus_762

Two Out - Disconnect RSL? Why?

Kind of a n00b question, but I'm a n00b, we do that kinda shit...Was watching BreakAway (the training vid, not the cheesy movie) and they were talking about 2-out situations. In an unstable 2-out, they advised you disconnect the RSL, and chop the main...why bother? The reserve is already out, why take the extra 1.2 seconds to disconnect the RSL? Just grab the far-left riser, get the canopies separated by a few feet, and cutaway...am I missing something?

thanks...

Airtwardo:"There is a bit of difference between a rigger with a nipper and a guy with 138 jumps and a swiss army knife...usually!"

In some gear designs the RSL could actually be looped around the reserve and when you cutaway the main canopy might end up chocking off the reserve and still will be attached to you. This is unique to Racers and their 2 sided RSL but since someone might jump a rig in this configuration it is best to train on this issue.

Also the RSL on a 1 sided configuration can whip around on a cutaway and entangle in gear so if you can eliminate this issue it is best to avoid it.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

As the main risers go bye-bye, the still connected RSL could get hooked on something you want to keep as the cutaway main goes away.

Some containers have a Collins lanyard which connects the two risers. If the RSL is connected, the lanyard could choke off the reserve as the connected risers slide up the lines of the reserve.

Lesson here, Know thy gear.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

Monkey, a Collins Lanyard should not interfere at all with a canopy nor would it cause it to choke off a canopy. A Collins lanyard is designed to cutaway the second side of a canopy if the handle is pulled just far enough to have the side with the RSL pulled. The lanyard is connected to the cutaway cable and not the second riser.

A 2 sided RSL like a Racer is 100% different than an Collins lanyard and could choke off a reserve.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

OK, so it's a case of eliminating a possible complication, and at the same time, instilling a positive training habit...see, this is why n00bs need to ask these silly-assed questions...muchas gracias!:)

Airtwardo:"There is a bit of difference between a rigger with a nipper and a guy with 138 jumps and a swiss army knife...usually!"

OK, so it's a case of eliminating a possible complication,

It can eliminate death.

I've seen a disconnected RSL snag a line on a reserve, causing a major problem. Fortunately the jumper landed in a marshy area and walked away wet, but unhurt.

He had enough nylon over his head from both malfunctioning canopies to save him that time. He would have got busted up quite badly had he hit hard ground.
My computer beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kickboxing....

OK, so it's a case of eliminating a possible complication, and at the same time, instilling a positive training habit...see, this is why n00bs need to ask these silly-assed questions...muchas gracias!:)

Hey, there are not silly-assed questions!

Keep asking things, check your sources, keep learning about your gear, it may save your life some day.

To add to the above a bit... not disconnecting an RSL in a 2-out situation may cause problems in some gear configurations, so you're best to disconnect it, as has been said... where as in the old style Racer config (not sure what they're new RSL config is, I too need to go learn :$), but not disconnecting the RSL in a 2-out situation prior to cutting away the main WILL cause problems... IMO. ** standing by to be flamed **

Kind of a n00b question, but I'm a n00b, we do that kinda shit...Was watching BreakAway (the training vid, not the cheesy movie) and they were talking about 2-out situations. In an unstable 2-out, they advised you disconnect the RSL, and chop the main...why bother? The reserve is already out, why take the extra 1.2 seconds to disconnect the RSL? Just grab the far-left riser, get the canopies separated by a few feet, and cutaway...am I missing something?

thanks...

This article was in Parachutist this past March. I have read it a few times just to keep this very question in my mind. Like some of the other jumpers said in their responses, different RSL configurations will work in different ways, but the principle is the same. If you own your own rig have a rigger explain to you how everything is routed and what potential hazards exist in various situations.

Two Over One
Never give up on something you can't go a day without thinking about.