airborne47

Beware of the (experts!)

Which is not what i saw. But as i said i did not see the collision.

So you didn’t really see what happened?

Do not fight a malfunction until impact. Without at least trying to get a reserve

out!

She didn’t fight it until impact…she got her reserve out.

Which the video clearly shows it wasn't. But what bothered me was comments such as.

You must be looking at a different video…the one posted here didn’t show anything clearly.

And got extreamly lucky. But also am sure her skill level made a world of difference! Even so by going that low she played the odds as there was no quarantee she would cut away and get a reserve out in time.

You have no idea what she was dealing with or why she was that low. You said yourself you were too fare away to see any detail.

If you get this worked over something like this it makes me wonder how you deal with other issues that come up in your life. If you plan on sticking around jumping for awhile you better grow thicker skin cupcake.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

So now it's more confusing than ever...

- Cutaway in near proximity at a higher altitude?
Assuming that was the other jumper's canopy then there was no wrap or entanglement at all at that point. So, maybe whatever she had over her head was not good. Hence the cutaway. I agree that it was waaaaay to low for comfort and should have been handled higher. Just HOW it was handled was her option, not ours.

- that the collision must have caused her canopy to wrap up or entangle with itself...
You are using terms inappropriately here.

- With perhaps lines snagged on her somewhere?
do you know what mal that would be?

I'm trying to get you to look up info in the SIM to discover for yourself what is what. I'm getting the feeling that you want to be spoon fed.

Your point about taking advice from others is agreed. No need to belabor it. Even skygods can be wrong. That is nothing new nor is it something that will ever change. You are posting like it is the first time you've ever experienced that.

Stick around a while and you'll learn the ropes....and that is NOT talking down to you. You'll learn that there are few, if any, hard and fast rules in skydiving...nearly everything is situation dependent.

And yep, all things considered, even though young jumpers can come up with some good and reasonable ideas, I would take an experienced jumper's word over a young one's word every time....until proven wrong. There's a reason for that: Young jumpers often don't know what they don't know.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

No i'm pointing out that it's bullshit for people with thousands of jumps to do so.
Just because of who the article claims to qoute. And the experience level of the person who says it's bs.

IMO you are simply making yourself look foolish.

Maybe this is a good time for the quote:

CALM THE FUCK DOWN!!!

:D:D:D
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

My suggestion -

Take a tenth of the energy you put into your dozens of posts and use it to better understand what happened. Call Rich. Call Dan. Talk to them instead of defending your post about your previous post about the one before that; it's a better use of your time. All these posts make it seem like you just want some sort of vindication for having an opinion.

It appears that because it has his name attached to it that many feel it is beyond reproach.

What he was quoted as saying made sense. What you are pointing out was not in quotes - therefore it is very likely that he didn't say it that way.

Like others are saying.... let it go. If anyone chooses to follow "advice" found in a newspaper, that's their choice. You can choose to follow or not follow whatever advice you would like.

If it matters to you this much, contact the reporter and complain. Ask Dan what he really said. If you aren't willing to do either of those things, STFU already.

But i will never believe that chopping a good canopy while in a wrap is a good choice.

Okay, well - good for you! But show me where any of the "experts" (you seem to want to either discredit, dismiss or bash) actually ever stated that? Now you are just plain making sh*t up! You're losing it my friend. Step away & breathe.

You are clearly all worked into a frenzy over your own (mis)perceptions of what you think a mainstream media newspaper article should mean, and/or how you would like to impose how you think others should take it. It's not germane. Heck - any more now and it's just not even coherent any longer either. You are arguing with yourself (your own displaced, and now deflected onto other - perceptions)!! - :S

The only reason i had any interest in the article was becasue it stated that she had a good canopy.
Which is not what i saw. ...(What I saw was): ...her falling straight down with nothing but crap above her.

Which is fine. That is your eyewitness account. You could have (should have) just posted that (which again - could have that way, maybe even been accepted just FWIW) - and moved on. But instead, with all this we now get (from BillVon - which I will now +1 ...or no, maybe especially just for you +1,000 ;-) ) you:

defending your post about your previous post about the one before that

:S:S:S

I agree with Bill (and others):

All these posts make it seem like you just want some sort of vindication for having an opinion.

+1,000

Get over YOURSELF. This entire thread has very nearly absolutely zero value. IMHO. It is time to move on.

So sorry to hear you have apparently already seen/witnessed so much tragedy personally, in your relatively young (short) jumping career.

BSBD,
-Grant
coitus non circum - Moab Stone

Ive no idea what happened but that looked horrible... the reserve deployed ok but then just spun into the ground. Anyone have insight into why? seemed there should have been enough alt left for it to level out after deployment.

Sometimes even if you make all the right decisions you still end up holding the bill..

I hope she recovers

Anyone have insight into why?

Best to post this question (and a good/fair one) in the actual incident thread itself. Certainly not this totally CRAP / useless, rambling self-effacing (of the OP) run-on diatribe one. Doubt you'll get a salient response from anybody in here. And/or If anyone is even (this thread anyway) still reading...

The actual incident thread itself, can be found: HERE
coitus non circum - Moab Stone

last post.
I'M happy to look like an idiot if it gets someone with 488 jumps to say this.

I'm not at all sure it would be the correct thing to do, but I believe I would have cut away as the jumper in the video did. I say this because I have not had to use my reserve yet and think I would cutaway as that is how I have practiced my EPs over and over. Sort of a react to the high rate of decent on "autopilot" thing if you will.
It will (with any luck) be interesting to hear the thoughts of the jumper involved after some recovery time.
My question to the more experienced jumpers would be.... Now that you've had time to think about it would you cut away and deploy reserve or just deploy the reserve and why?

I'm glad he's wondering about that now. And wants to address it now!
As for me there is no doubt what i would (want) to do or why.

Yes she did get her reserve out. And i said she did a hell of a job.
I also stated that i'm sure her experience level made a world of difference. But i would not want to wait that long.
I wont bother addressing the numerious statements since i was last on line.
Since some would just say (i) was talking about it to much. And looking like an idiot.
I've done what i wanted!! Hopefully that jumper will pursue his question?
And have an answer firmly in mind before he's in that situation!

Don't get to proud of yourself there just yet, I have not jumped in 5 years and probably wont for quite some time. I will certainly address EPs with an expert prior to my next jump as I had planned all along.

James

last post.
I'M happy to look like an idiot if it gets someone with 488 jumps to say this.

I'm not at all sure it would be the correct thing to do, but I believe I would have cut away as the jumper in the video did. I say this because I have not had to use my reserve yet and think I would cutaway as that is how I have practiced my EPs over and over. Sort of a react to the high rate of decent on "autopilot" thing if you will.
It will (with any luck) be interesting to hear the thoughts of the jumper involved after some recovery time.
My question to the more experienced jumpers would be.... Now that you've had time to think about it would you cut away and deploy reserve or just deploy the reserve and why?

I'm glad he's wondering about that now. And wants to address it now!
As for me there is no doubt what i would (want) to do or why.

Yes she did get her reserve out. And i said she did a hell of a job.
I also stated that i'm sure her experience level made a world of difference. But i would not want to wait that long.
I wont bother addressing the numerious statements since i was last on line.
Since some would just say (i) was talking about it to much. And looking like an idiot.
I've done what i wanted!! Hopefully that jumper will pursue his question?
And have an answer firmly in mind before he's in that situation!