lookoutbelow

Requirements to jump next to a tandem?

What are the requirements needed in order to jump next to a tandem? As in, if I have a friend making a tandem jump and I want to dock with them?

I do realize I am a long way off from being allowed to do that. Just trying to figure out when it could happen. I think I've seen this answer before, but can't seem to find it again.

What are the requirements needed in order to jump next to a tandem? As in, if I have a friend making a tandem jump and I want to dock with them?

I do realize I am a long way off from being allowed to do that. Just trying to figure out when it could happen. I think I've seen this answer before, but can't seem to find it again.

Do a search.

Then look up the manual for the tandem system that will be used for the jump. Then look up the 19 commandments of tandem parachuting.

Then remember that even if you meet ALL of those requirements, many TI's wont let you lurk them on a tandem if they don't know you.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

I always wanted to jump with a friend doing a tandem until a poster here noted that the tandem jump is about the tandem student's experience and not mine. A person's first tandem jump is enough of a sensory overload without the added distraction.

I always wanted to jump with a friend doing a tandem until a poster here noted that the tandem jump is about the tandem student's experience and not mine. A person's first tandem jump is enough of a sensory overload without the added distraction.

This is what I posted earlier this year.
As a videographer I really don't like it when people try to chase a tandem unless they have impeccable skills and the tandem passenger personally knows them and wants them on the dive.

My job is to capture the moment with the best video and stills I can for someone who will likely never make another jump.

If someone goes along who is not up to the task they are simply a major distraction for me.

I now have to keep an eye out for them to make certain they don't hit me or come up under me which has happened. When I film I don't look at anything other than the tandem unless something is in my field of vision and then I'm not focused on my framing, angles and lighting so it does affect the job I do.

And then of course if they don't have the skills to dock then they usually suck at tracking and end up opening very close to me.

If you really are their friend then let them have their moment. Go in the plane, have fun with them on the climb, let them see you jump first, geek the camera as you leave and be in the landing area when they land.

It makes for much better video and is safer for everyone.

Remember the video and stills are about them and their skydive. Don't ruin it for them and the other friends and family who are looking forward to seeing them in freefall.

Just MHO.

To the OP. I totally get that you want to jump with your father and I agree it would be really cool for both of you.

So here is what you need to do.

Make a lot of jumps and get a ton of experience on your belly. Learn to go out late, dive and dock on other belly flyers. Get to a tunnel and learn as much about belly flying as you can. And jump - jump - jump.

Just two weeks ago I filmed a young lady who wanted to chase her friend who was doing a tandem. She has about 400 jumps - almost all doing sit fly and freefly. She was all over the place on her belly and I was trying to keep an eye on her so she wouldn't slide under me. She did slide under the tandem.

I did not focus strictly on the tandem as I normally would because my life is more important to me than getting the shot. The video of this person's one and likely only jump was not up to my standard which frankly is quite high.

When you jump with your father make certain you are up to the task not only in your opinion but in the opion of others who know your skills.

Be safe and have fun when you introduce your dad to what you love.

Be the canopy pilot you want that other guy to be.

To the OP. I totally get that you want to jump with your father and I agree it would be really cool for both of you.

So here is what you need to do.

Make a lot of jumps and get a ton of experience on your belly. Learn to go out late, dive and dock on other belly flyers. Get to a tunnel and learn as much about belly flying as you can. And jump - jump - jump.

Just two weeks ago I filmed a young lady who wanted to chase her friend who was doing a tandem. She has about 400 jumps - almost all doing sit fly and freefly. She was all over the place on her belly and I was trying to keep an eye on her so she wouldn't slide under me. She did slide under the tandem.

I did not focus strictly on the tandem as I normally would because my life is more important to me than getting the shot. The video of this person's one and likely only jump was not up to my standard which frankly is quite high.

When you jump with your father make certain you are up to the task not only in your opinion but in the opion of others who know your skills.

Be safe and have fun when you introduce your dad to what you love.

Excellent advice and thanks for expanding on the issues. It all makes sense and I can understand the hesistancy of all that would be involved.