christopherm

New container

I need some serious opinions here. I'm trying to make a decision on a new container. My first container. If everyone could give me some tips, that would be awesome.
Is it a bad thing to buy a container without a main and reserve or is that ok? Are there containers that are definately a bad choice? How about a Reflex?
Oh well, just looking for yalls opinions.

My suggestion is the Odyssey by sunpath. I have only jumped it once as a demo, but when i was in my sit, i had to check if the rig was still on my back cuz thats how comfortable it is.
Only 6 more days till it comes in!!!
Now 2 more weeks after my container comes in, my canopies Sabre2-150 and PD143R comes in!! YAY!!
Omar
A-39113

The only problem with Reflex's and Racers is finding a rigger that is capible of doing a good job on the reserve. Some riggers refuse to repack these containers, and others charge more since they feel it's harder to work on them. Javelins, Odysees, Mirage and Wings are great choices that I've worked on and tried on. The Dolphin is a great entry container, just limit your freeflying in it untill you get the newest mods done to it.
Have you looked at used containers yet? I got my first rig used, but it only had 70 jumps on it and it looked brand new. You might not get to pick the colors but there is'nt a better feelin then saving 400-500 on a container that can be put towards jumps if you just are'nt picky on the colors.
A rainy day at the DZ is better then a Sunny day at work

Remi,
For comparison, a buddy lost the freebag and reserve pilotchute off his Voodoo earlier this summer. The bill for replacement parts came to almost $300!
Ouch!
Fortunately Sandy tossed in a T-shirt and a better-fitting top flap for free.
Vector spare parts are not much cheaper.

Thx for the clarification Rob!
My local rigger though it was steep... and since I never bough spares before , I took his word at face value.... I think he was comparing to Javelins (pure speculation on my part) or PDF (but then PDF seams quite cheap in the UK compared to US gear).
Remi
Muff 914

I don't have my own gear yet either, but I've been orientating myself lately.
Please don't hesitate to correct me if I'm wrong on any of the following!
First, I don't think that any container is generally "bad". If that were the case, nobody would buy it. Add to that the bad publicity and the manufacturer will be out of business in no-time.
It is true, however, that there are a lot of different containers out there. With different features, for different kinds of bodies and different kinds of skydiving.
I think that one can't a priori say what would be the best container for you. I think you will have to demo a couple of different containers to find out which one(s) work(s) best for you and for the kind of jumping you do.
Most modern sport canopies will fit most modern sport containers. The only catch is that the sizes must match. Particular canopies come in a range of different sizes, as do particular containers. For example, there's small Javelins and big ones, as well as there are smaller Sabres and bigger ones. Obviously, a large Sabre won't safely fit into a small Javelin (in fact, I doubt if it will fit at all, omitting the word safely).
Do you already have a main and reserve canopy (or at least know which ones you want)?
Just my 2 cents,
Alphons

For comparison, a buddy lost the freebag and reserve pilotchute off his Voodoo earlier this summer. The bill for replacement parts came to almost $300!

Damn.. I keep spare reserve parts on hand for both my rigs(reserve PC, freebag, handles), and it was around $220 for my Talon 2, and I think $240 for my Mirage.. PC and bridle alone were something like $180..
Mike

This summer I bought my first rig, and I bought a brand new Wings container and love it. I bought my main (Triathlon 190) used with about 15 jumps on it (NEW!!), and got a great deal on my brand new reserve by trading some stuff and money for it. I would definately recommend the Wings, and also my other point is that you can really find some great deals if you search around for a bit before you buy.
Austin
A-38993

I would purchase the container last.
Start by choosing your reserve. A reserve should have roughly as many square feet as you have pounds.
Secondly, choose a main that you can land on a bad day.
Finally, pick a container that matches the size of those canopies. As long as you buy from a major manufacturer, then you will get a container that works. After that most decisions are based on fashion, specifically local fashion.
Local fashion is often dictated by which rigs the local rigger likes. For example, if the local rigger likes Javelins, then you should buy a Javelin or Javelin clone (Wings, Dolphin, Vortex, Advance or Concept. If the local rigger likes Vectors, then you should buy a Vector or Vector clone (Infinity, Sidewinder, Naro, early Talon, etc.).
Be warned that not all riggers have mastered all types of containers. For example, it took me ten years to get good at packing Racers, and I had to invent my own Cypres-compatible tools.

just my 10 cnets but i have had around 120 jumps on my thomas sports super fly container and it feels mights snug, especially as i got a type of felt covering that fits to your back it doesn't seem to move around much and it pretty much moulded to my back what with the comfort rings in you can really throw your weight into your turns under canopy, and all in all i am still finding it mighty comferatable and very freefly friendly
this pidgeons gotta fly
mooose