BigDreams32

Wind Tunnel during my AFF

I am currently doing my AFF, and I've done leve 1 & 2 so far but i'm having trouble with my legs and somewhat my body position. My instructor recommended sum tunnel time to gain the confidence as well as work on my body position. He said most students that jump into the tunnel for 10-15 min usually fly right through AFF after with no further problems. I'm thinking of getting sum tunnel time before doing any more jumps risking i might fail and the extra expense. seams like the money for tunnel time can be worth saving the money for failed jumps. what does everybody think? Do jumpers find the rest of AFF easier after sum time in the tunnel?

I spent 15 minutes in a tunnel recently to help with my AFF! My JM's recommended it and it was some of the best money I could have spent! I was really in a danger zone at pull time and chipping in freefall! After the tunnel time AFF was much easier.
While I do not have any where near enough time to even consider making recommendations I think it's safe to say ask your coaches.
I took the advise of mine and I'm damn glad I did!
"You don't get many warnings in this sport before you get damaged"

Awesome thank you all for the input! I jump out of Sebastian in FL and I was supposed to go back this weekend but this hurricane seams to be ruining my plans >:( doesn't look like the weather is going to be good.. but I'll certainly try to make an effort to visit the wind tunnel, at least that's indoors!

Call Orlando and ask for the contact info for Chris Dixon or Mike Wilks and explain that you're looking for AFF-specific coaching - frankly pretty much any of the experienced guys up there proper coaching. If you're looking for AFFIs that also tunnel instruct I can give you a list as well - and ask around Sebastian to see who they recommend.

Looks like FL will be jumpable on Saturday though it may be exceed student limits - particularly with the goofball winds in Sebastian. Go to the DZ anyway. Take a packing class. Talk to instructors...lots to do and learn even when the weather goes to shit.

I am currently doing my AFF, and I've done leve 1 & 2 so far but i'm having trouble with my legs and somewhat my body position. My instructor recommended sum tunnel time to gain the confidence as well as work on my body position. He said most students that jump into the tunnel for 10-15 min usually fly right through AFF after with no further problems. I'm thinking of getting sum tunnel time before doing any more jumps risking i might fail and the extra expense. seams like the money for tunnel time can be worth saving the money for failed jumps. what does everybody think? Do jumpers find the rest of AFF easier after sum time in the tunnel?

I am EXACTLY here. I did my aff 1 and 2 then when I got to 3, I got super tense and over thought everything. I passed but he said ONLY if I go to the tunnel before aff4. otherwise I'd have to redo 3 and prove I can think clearly. DO the tunnel. I am going hopefully tonight and I have been told by everyone that there is never a reason NOT to go to a tunnel if you need help. That's what they are there for!

I would kill for some tunnel time...the nearest tunnel is 600 miles away, and these pesky kids insist on food, clothing, and a roof over their heads, dammit! If there was any way I could take a weekend and just go, I would.

Airtwardo:"There is a bit of difference between a rigger with a nipper and a guy with 138 jumps and a swiss army knife...usually!"

I just did level 3 and I failed it -______- i "wasn't able to maintain a proper heading" I'm definitely going to the tunnel before i redo level 3!

Sorry you didn't pass. Was it a slow turn or an uncontrolled spin? Sometimes the student just doesn't think to pick a point on the horizon and hold steady. :)

If you go to a wind tunnel and flying check out Cheapoair.com Like Expedia, much cheaper prices. Going to Orlando, FL for some wind tunnel time. Like you in the AFF program. Spins on both C's one very fast, next jump got more of a airflow. Slowed everything down, the spin was not as fast.

I did the tunnel and it helped alot! Went to the DZ the next day and combined 4 & 5 into one jump. It is amazing how much more relaxed I was after a quick trip to the tunnel. Going to jump 6 and 7 this weekend hopefully and already booked more tunnel time Wed. to work on mantis. I love this sport! Don't let a failed level or two get you down. I was bumming bad when I failed 3 for the second time but once you get over it and move forward it is really worth it