Rxtreme

Safire 169 or 149?

I'm currently looking to buy my first rig. My exit weight is 155 lbs. and I have made 20 jumps. I've been considering either a Safire 149 (1.0 wing loading) or 169 (.88 wing loading). There is currently a 169 for sale at my DZ. Is .88 so light that the canopy won't perform the way is should? Would I be better off waiting until I find a 149? I'd like to stay conservative, but still buy something that I'll enjoy jumping for quite a while. Thanks in advance for any advice and thoughts...
Brian

i only jumped twice on a safire 169 loaded at 0.76, both time it collapsed, once on straight flight and once on a 360 turn, i dunno if it was turbulance or just the fact that it was really underloaded, but u can be sure it won't perform the way it was designed to
Free Skies,
Omri A-38593 :S

Well one thing to keep in mind is that Icarus measures the Safire & Omega differently than most other companies do. Their Safire 169 is more like a 160 comparing it to a PD Sabre. I have a Safire 169 and have laid it out on the ground next to a 170 Hornet (PIS version of a Sabre) and mine was smaller. I figure about the 160 . Talking to a Icarus Rep. they told me the 169 was closer to a PD Sabre 150.
I would not venture to give you advise on what size to get but I found there was a wealth of information from my instructors and the local S& TA. These people have seen you fly and know your skill level Also you can call Icarus themselves and ask their advise. What ever you get definitely try a few sizes and kinds before buying.

You are loading it very lightly. I fly a Safire 169 at a wing loading of approx 1.5. I feel that at that loading I am really starting to enjoy it in the manner for which it was designed. (for experienced jumpers, that is) I now have 100+ jumps on it.