RyanFYF

Redo AFF 3 now or wait 9 days for Tunnel

well I have to work tomorrow and the tunnel informed me they are still going to be down till around the 20th. Havent heard anything from the dz but I will probably go Monday and see if I am ready to do the jump or not. I'm sick of being grounded lol. Hope the weather holds so I can get back up in the sky

dude, just fukkin jump...if you have to do it again, so what? It'll probably take me 15 jumps to make it thru level 7. :$:$ Other than being broke all the time, it ain't that big a deal.

Airtwardo:"There is a bit of difference between a rigger with a nipper and a guy with 138 jumps and a swiss army knife...usually!"

true, true...money always intrudes. I need a rich uncle that I don't know about, to die and leave me a big pile of cash..."Dear old Uncle Whatsisname...what a great guy!"

blue skies, dude. persevere!

Airtwardo:"There is a bit of difference between a rigger with a nipper and a guy with 138 jumps and a swiss army knife...usually!"

You need to just relax, go to the DZ, pay for a jump and spend a little extra time on the ground going over the jump. Level 3 is not something that is so difficult you HAVE to go to the tunnel first before you can pass it! Lots of students never use the tunnel. If you relax and really go over the dive I bet you will do fine. Have some faith in yourself and have fun ;)

Thanks for all the positive feedback! Trevor called me today and let me know that I can get in the tunnel Friday! After talking with all my instructors, we've decided that I don't need to redo 3 and am cleared for one instructor, but the tunnel will allow me to do 4 with much more confidence. I'm super pumped!

Yeah it was at ifly. Worth every penny. Got my shit figured out in 1:30 and was having a blast the rest of the time. Then Saturday I jumped and they combined 4 & 5 into one jump and I nailed it!!!

I had sooo much more fun this time and I feel really good about moving forward. The tunnel really worked for me!!!

It's random depending on my work schedule. I work weekends and nights, so I never get out there on weekends. I usually make it out during the week sometime, generally Thursdays, I might try to get out Monday or Tuesday this week. If I can't make it out then I'll probably be there Thursday

Have the same issue with my legs, not there and too stiff. Took a couple weeks, off, was going then was told the maintenance took longer. Rescheduled, just came back, learned some things, got some corrections. Being away but still practicing helps one to relax. Funny thing got more of a workout in the tunnel, really felt tired afterwards.

I am a newby skydiver so am learning much from these threads. I failed my AFF3 last weekend, as my position - proven on the video - was horrible. We spent five minutes redoing some exercises on the ground and my instructor showed me one trick which just clicked in my head. We went right back up and I did it perfectly. Sometimes you just need it explained a little differently. My instructor had me lay flat on the ground, push up with my arms and he said - feel that tightness in your back? Get the same feeling when you jump and you will have the position. I did it, I was relaxed and I was on to the next level. Couldn't believe how easy it felt.

Sometimes you just need it explained a little differently.

a good instructor will try different methods until he finds the one the student understands

a great instructor has all the methods in his bag and has an instinct on which ones he should teach first and usually gets it right in very few attempts

I both cases, it requires enough experience to be able to choose from many different ways of teaching the same thing (rather than just their one personal experience/anecdote. i.e., as an instructor, what worked for me - way back then - may not work for everybody. I need to have other examples and be open to what other instructors do also. And to be observant of the student to see how they learn best - to apply that to the rest of the training.)

a bad instructor just teaches the same thing the same way over and over again and then bitches about 'stupid students that just don't get it'

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants