scotts

turbo zx opinions

Para Flite introduced the Turbo ZX in the early 1990s to compete with Performance Design's Sabre. The Turbo ZX was trimmed a bit on the "tame" side, so it never sold very well. It is a decent canopy, just unspectacular in performance or handling. You should be able to pick up a slightly used Turbo ZX pretty cheap.
The Swift Plus series have sold well since their introduction. Swift Pluses are almost the smallest packing reserves on the market and they have saved plenty of lives. There has only been one Service Bulletin on the Swift Pluses. When he repacks your new reserve, remind your rigger to inspect the bartacks at the D line cascades. This Service Bulletin should have been done when it was published circa 1994.

If you search the forum for "turbo" I posted in April some info with my personal (limited) experience. I'd say with all the canopies on the market you'd be better of with something else, unless its a very good deal (PISA canopies should also be a good deal and are far better).
I used Swift plus once, the opening was perfect, flying and landing also great, many people used it as a main.
What many people dont know, they are actually made in Hungary (no its not an African country:) )
m

marcin,
That is news to me.
I was under the impression that most Para-Flite canopies were built in New Jersey. The last time I checked, New Jersey was on the East Cost of the USA.
Granted a few Para-Flite canopies have been built under license by Parachute Industries of South Africa. Most of those sport canopies were sold on the European market.
Irvin Industries of Canada also built a few military canopies under license from Para-Flite.
The last time I talked with a PISA rep, he said that his canopies were sewn by little Hindi-speaking women who live on the East Coast of South Africa.
Recenltly Performance Designs shifted production to Honduras, but that is an entirely different story.

Riggerrob
The TZX and Swift are made in small city (Szekesfehervar) about 50 miles from where I live. They've been manufactured here for at least 5 years (more precisely the factory moved here from another even smaller city called Borgond like 2 years ago). There aren't to many small Hindu boys in the factory, instead a lot of elderly ladies, who used to sew courtains and clothes in their previous lives. I've been to that factory several times. As far as quality of parachutes goes, I have not heard any complaints (there are a few TZX's flying here and even more Swifts, but much more American and French gear) .
I can imagine the origin of these parachutes is not widely advertised due to perhaps marketing reasons (?). Also i think not all TZX's and Swifts sold in US are made in Hungary, but a large quantity is. Question is do they all have the label saying "Made in USA"?
Hope I have not hurt anybody's patriotic feelings or revealed industrial secrets:).
m.