f1freak

Whats missing?

There are some DZ's that allow jumpers to have non-accessible reserve and cutaway handles. Unzip the zipper and reach in there.
As one DZO commented "It's less of a challenge than flipping open a pair of Capewells."

There are some DZ's that allow jumpers to have non-accessible reserve and cutaway handles. Unzip the zipper and reach in there.
As one DZO commented "It's less of a challenge than flipping open a pair of Capewells."

Seems a bit risky, since we have seen some pretty high speed mals that made it difficult to reach handles.

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

Not the sharpest tool in the box.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

i'm pretty sure he's missing a few gopros. I couldn't see any in the first shot and only one in the second.

he has so much real-estate to work with there, especially since he doesn't have handles visible so there's even MORE room for gopros.

That's one of the stupidest things I've ever heard (and it apparently never occurred to that DZO that there's a reason we don't jump capewells any more).

It may be easy to unzip a jumpsuit under routine conditions, but it may be very difficult or even impossible under a malfunction that might be flinging the jumper around like a rag doll or one that is spinning so rapidly that it's tough to even reach up with an arm.

Beyond that, cutaway and reserve handles are EMERGENCY handles. The vast majority of the time, they are needed at the worst possible moment - the bottom of the skydive when the jumper is under the greatest amount of stress and has the least amount of time to take action.

It makes ZERO sense to intentionally create a condition under which those handles are more difficult or time-consuming to use.
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

That's one of the stupidest things I've ever heard (and it apparently never occurred to that DZO that there's a reason we don't jump capewells any more).

It may be easy to unzip a jumpsuit under routine conditions, but it may be very difficult or even impossible under a malfunction that might be flinging the jumper around like a rag doll or one that is spinning so rapidly that it's tough to even reach up with an arm.

Beyond that, cutaway and reserve handles are EMERGENCY handles. The vast majority of the time, they are needed at the worst possible moment - the bottom of the skydive when the jumper is under the greatest amount of stress and has the least amount of time to take action.

It makes ZERO sense to intentionally create a condition under which those handles are more difficult or time-consuming to use.

well in this particular case the wingsuit will probably only be jumped by the pilot testing it out before it is brought into a base environment...the 'lifespan' of the suit will be shortlived as a skydiving suit (there are MUCH better options for flocking than apache haha!).

i suppose there's something to be said for not hacking up your suit to have easy access to handles if it will never be flown out of a plane again after that month?

well in this particular case the wingsuit will probably only be jumped by the pilot testing it out before it is brought into a base environment...the 'lifespan' of the suit will be shortlived as a skydiving suit (there are MUCH better options for flocking than apache haha!).

i suppose there's something to be said for not hacking up your suit to have easy access to handles if it will never be flown out of a plane again after that month?

Your logic sounds remarkably like that of the teenagers who think they can't possibly get pregnant because they only had sex one time. :|
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Your logic sounds remarkably like that of the teenagers who think they can't possibly get pregnant because they only had sex one time. :|

Its pretty accepted in risk theory that exposure time to risk is a relevant factor to consider when making decisions.

Would you, using your example, say a teenager that engages in sexual intercourse one time carries as much risk as a teenager that engages in sexual intercourse ten times?

Of course you can go in without being able to get your handle in time on the FIRST JUMP you do with the reserve under your zipper. But pointing that out is just being pedantic :|

So to paraphrase you in another thread:

"Why would you want your hobby to be a ticking time bomb (sooner or later kind of thing)."

Are you going to heed your own advise or not. It makes absolutely no sense on any jump. Fine it is one of the names in the sport, but what kind of example is that setting to those who are up and coming?

"Why would you want your hobby to be a ticking time bomb (sooner or later kind of thing)."

Are you going to heed your own advise or not. It makes absolutely no sense on any jump. Fine it is one of the names in the sport, but what kind of example is that setting to those who are up and coming?

whatcha talkin bout willis???

I am just disagreeing with NWflyer and pointing out her lack of reasonable thinking because it is so fun to disagree with somebody who will no matter what you say disagree with you.

I am just disagreeing with NWflyer and pointing out her lack of reasonable thinking because it is so fun to disagree with somebody who will no matter what you say disagree with you.

nu uh!

As for your argument, it only takes once for that main to not open properly and it could very likely be a death sentence.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

It is sorta funny that the Tony website says that the Apache is to be a base wingsuit only, they don't recommend modifications to allow access to a normal rig's handles, but their website shows pics of it with a Mirage skydiving rig.

http://www.tonywingsuits.com/apache.html
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

whatcha talkin bout willis???

Not sure I'd call a different approach to "risk analysis" a lack of reasonable thinking. Could just be that I don't have mad skillz and prefer to treat every skydive as the one that might kill or maim me.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

https://vimeo.com/38615978

https://vimeo.com/38615978

And?
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX