volo

ICARUS

What are YOUR thoughts on Icarus pumping out a number of various canopies on the market in such a short amount of time?
Are they safe and high quality, with sufficient test jumps made on them before putting them out on the market?

this company is a safe company as are their canopies. i fly a crossfire and am getting ready to downsize, and thats right i will get another crossfire. people are getting scared because of ignorant speculation and rumors. this happens with everything, even the recent events in New York. the media jumped to conclusions many times, which proved to false. that is again what we are seeing here. please read the post on the crossfire also in this gear and rigging forum and you will get an idea of this untrue hype. thanks
jaybird

This is definetly some stunt from a canopy manufacturer {cough cough P.A. cough} I dont think PD would pull such a stunt. I have heard only good things about Icarus and am trying to get my hands on a Safire to test fly one before I buy.
PS
he doesnt even know where he's from in florida. hmmm

What type of stunt do you think they might be pulling? I, as someone who has been around all the current manufacturing reps on the swoop circuit this year, can tell you that this isn't the first time I have heard of problems with both Icarus and P.A. Both for very different reasons, but troubles nonetheless.
Chuck

What are YOUR thoughts on Icarus pumping out a number of various canopies on the market in such a short amount of time?

My first thought - after reading your profile - is that I can't give any credibility to somebody on issues pertaining to gear if they don't even know what size reserve they have..
Mike

Volo,
What do you mean by "pumping out such a large number of canopies in such a short period of time."?
At the 1993 PIA Symposium, I was introduced to a parachute designer from New Zealand. His name was Gyro and he was starting to develop a reputation in his homeland as a builder of high performance canopies.
Since 1993, Gyro and the Icarus marketing department have introduced Icarus Extreme VX, Extreme FX, Omega, Safire, Crossfire, tandem and student canopy lines.
For comparison, during the same time period, Performance Designs has introduced the Stiletto, Spectre, Silhouette, Velocity, Vengeance, Navigator student canopy and a couple of tandem mains.
What is the difference?

Sorry if that question sounded a bit more on the negative side, but that wasn't my intention. I'm just curious to know other views and opinions about the issue. Oh, my name is Jason Jerusalem and I'm a freeflyer in Florida, since you asked.

i think it is good to have more competition in the gear market.... remember when all there really was was PD? (yea... some real old timer will remember before that)...
That being said, all I ever had for main has been PD (except for a 75 jump excursion into Aerodyne Land)... there is something to be said about a long standing trusted name
Remi
Muff 914

Plus PD's customer service ROCKS...

What exactly are you basing that on? I agree - they make good canopies...but ever tried to get a line set from 'em? Sometimes it takes 3 days, sometimes 6 weeks.. And don't get me started on their "used demo canopy" sales program..
Mike

I snagged a Cobalt 150 shiped overnight to my work for 30 busks for 2 full weeks. The wait was 3 weeks from faxing the form to Atair. PD's list for a Vengence or Saber2 is over 6 weeks in some case up to 8 if you want a popular size.... like the 135 or 150 I wanted. So its all relitive......
Be safe, be smooth, be fast..... and most importantly.... be phree :)

Plus PD's customer service ROCKS...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What exactly are you basing that on?

We've had really good experience with their CS too...
We bough a used Sabre 135 a few years back with only a handfull of jumps on it (10 to 20, cant remember now)but after a couple of months, we notice the centre cell top skin was looking "weird", as if it was aging very quickly. Also, the zp'ness of that pannel was going fast ( I could suck air through it).
We send it back to PD, and even if it was a 2 or 3 year old canopy, they exchanged it for a new one for a nominal charge (I think about $100)
Cant argue with that....
Remi
Muff 914

Remi said
I think it is good to have more competition in the gear market.... remember when all there really was PD? (yea... some real old timer will remember before that)...
ParaFlite was the only one on the block before PD- and I'm not a "real" old timer!
Dave Brownell