rotten

Sabre or Hornet?

Hello.
I'm not sure if this is right forum to ask this sort of questions but anyway - now I should decide what main to buy - pd sabre or pisa hornet. Is there anybody who is flown both canopies? Just want to hear some comments from all you.
Don't want to start another flame war - just want your comments on both canopies.
Thanks.

Don't buy a new Sabre. It's an old design and has been superceded by the Sabre2. Very few people have jumped a Sabre2 yet, but it sounds very good from the little I've heard so far.
If you get a used Sabre, get an oversize or 'pocket' slider fitted to prevent the occasional hard opening.
Cheers,
Geoff

While I have not yet jumped a Sabre 2, I have heard very good things about it; much the same as the good experiences I have had under a Hornet. Do not waste your time or money on a used Sabre; there are MUCH better parachutes out there. I put over 500 jumps on two Sabre 135's I owned and have put about 10 jumps on Hornets in sizes 135 and 150. This, so I would be able to give a fair opionion when asked about them.
So that being said, you must decide two things: new or used, Sabre 2 or Hornet?
Jump both if you have the opportunity. Read all the other threads in this forum on both. Read all the reviews in the gear section. After all that, buy the one that flies best for you and does what you want better than the other. Do not base your decision on what the local pretty-boys say; most established jumpers have very jaded opinions on what gear is "best", even though they have never jumped any other brands.
My recommendation? Still the Hornet in this catagory. Get a new one in custom colors in about four or five weeks for at least $300 less than anything PD makes. I know they sell around here for around $950. As for some people's concerns about "getting stuff" for them and getting them repaired; I wouldn't worry about it. The great majority of after-the-sale rigging done is by your local rigger: small patches, relines, etc. Also, PISA is not a small outfit; they make ALL the parachute gear in South Africa, both military and civilian. Their Tempo reserve is the best selling reserve in the USA.
P.D. is a great company and makes some fine parachute gear. Lord knows I have owned my fair share of their canopies (two Stilettos, one Vengeance, two Sabres, one Excallibur, two reserves). Brand loyalty can only go so far, though, and I am not willing to pay hundreds of dollars more for equipment that isn't worth a penny more than the competition in terms of performance and quality.
Chuck Blue
D-12501

concerns about "getting stuff" for them and getting them repaired; I wouldn't worry about it. The great majority of after-the-sale rigging done is by your local rigger: small patches, relines, etc.

Hey Chuck......I hope I dont step on your toes (God, knows I'm looking for them, so I don't.:)When I said that about getting stuff from their factory, I was referring to buying new line sets and stuff. The guy that we bought our canopies from told me that when he ordered a new line set to install on someone's canopy, it took one month from order to delivery for it. I am just putting this in here FYI.
However, certainly listen to Chuck since he is MUCH more experience. All of my info in hearsay.
Good luck choosing!!:)--------------
Baby pictures...

My recommendation? Still the Hornet in this catagory.

I'm gonna have to go with Chuck on this one.. I have jumped the Sabre, Sabre2, and Hornet all in the 150 size.. The Sabre is outdated, and superceded by the Sabre2 - as far as PD products go, anyways.. The Sabre2 and Hornet seem to be pretty much identical in flight and opening characteristics.. The Hornet sells for around $400-500 less than the Sabre2.. The Hornet packs smaller than the Sabre2, allowing you to get it in a smaller container that will allow you to downsize considerably in the future..
You may have people tell you that PISA has poor workmanship, makes a shitty product, etc....but ask those people what their reserve is, and many will say Tempo.....made by PISA..
I have only flown the Sabre2 loaded at almost 1.5, but I have flown the Hornet loaded from 1.1 to 1.6.. The Sabre2 flew great at that loading - I really enjoyed it.. Got some great surfs out of it, too.. The Hornet at the same loading flew about the same - no real distinguishing differences.. The Hornet at lighter loadings is very forgiving, yet still responsive..
If the prices were the same, I'd say to go with the Sabre2 - simply for PD's name recognition here in the US.....but with as much as $400-500 price difference, I say go with the Hornet.. You can also get a custom color canopy much quicker from PISA than PD right now..
Mike

When I said that about getting stuff from their factory, I was referring to buying new line sets and stuff. The guy that we bought our canopies from told me that when he ordered a new line set to install on someone's canopy, it took one month from order to delivery for it. I am just putting this in here FYI.

Brandon, keep in mind that the guy that sold you your canopies is an Icarus dealer - therefore, he's trying to push his product.. Even though he may sell PISA prouducts, ask him which product he makes more profit on.. I'm sure he didn't tell you anything bad about Icarus..
Just to put it in perspective, I have seen it take 6 weeks to get a new line set from PD.....and that was for a rigger 20 miles from the PD factory in Deland.. Plus, a line set is not something that is just going to go bad instantly - you will know, and can plan ahead.....unless you snap several lines on a Sabre on a hard opening.. I wouldn't know anything about that, though.. ;)
Mike

Brandon no offense but you shouldnt be putting stuff up here that you dont have PERSONAL experience with. My hornet got here in my own custom colors in 3 weeks.....FROM SOUTH AFRICA.....yeah sounds like it took me a TON of time.
Good luck getting your ICKarus in that amount of time...
now if sunpath would hurrry there ass's up....
Marc
Because I fly, I envy no man on earth

Sounds like you're in the same position I was a couple of months ago. I did the same (wise) thing you're doing now. I had canopy questions so I asked recognized canopy pilots. Guys like Chuck gave me really good advice. (when people at your DZ start slagging off certain canopy manufacturers and models, ask them how much experience they have under those canopies and at what loadings).
Anyway, I bought a Hornet '150. I have since put in just over 60 jumps on it and am very happy with it. I can't give you any feedback on the Sabre2, but for me the Hornet was a good intermediate canopy at a great price. One day when I am ready for a HP canopy at a higher-loading I will shell out the extra $$$ for that Cobalt or Crossfire, but until then the Hornet will do me fine.
BTW I got a great deal on my rig (inc. Hornet) from Roy at www.para-service.com
Will