theplummeter

Converging canopy traffic

Have I completely missed it, or is there guidance somewhere as to how to handle coming head to head with another canopy?

Pilots have been instructed to aggressively turn aircraft to the right in the event of an imminent collision observed visually or in response to an alert from a Terminal Collision Avoidance System, but I have never heard it from skydivers, either as part of a canopy course or a manifest briefing.

I knew I read it before but for some reason couldn't find the reference.

I've considered and briefed it on group jumps, just find it odd that while various dropzones require a briefing from manifest on where to land and in what direction that I have yet to hear this mentioned.

From the SIM 5-1

H. Canopy collisions

1. The best way to avoid a collision is to know where other canopies are at all times.

2. If approaching a jumper head on, both canopies should steer to the right.

Not all the time..... But most of the time...

Someone was coming at me in the landing pattern, on my final and was not looking, coming in downwind and veering to my right. Had I turned to my right, we would have collided.
Dano

Not all the time..... But most of the time...

Someone was coming at me in the landing pattern, on my final and was not looking, coming in downwind and veering to my right. Had I turned to my right, we would have collided.

yep, avoid avoid, avoid.
It doesn't appear that your story was going to be a head-on had you done nothing....which is what the "turn right" is all about.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

From the SIM 5-1

H. Canopy collisions

1. The best way to avoid a collision is to know where other canopies are at all times.

Is #2 an international standard or is it only USPA/North America? It would be good if so. Imagine how interesting it could get at an international get together if jumpers from countries that drive on the left also turned left to avoid the collision.

From the SIM 5-1

H. Canopy collisions

Is #2 an international standard or is it only USPA/North America? It would be good if so. Imagine how interesting it could get at an international get together if jumpers from countries that drive on the left also turned left to avoid the collision.

it's pretty much uniform across many areas, nautical aviation and parachuting. Turn Right
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

From the SIM 5-1

H. Canopy collisions

it's pretty much uniform across many areas, nautical aviation and parachuting. Turn Right

So how about England? I heard they've got some *cough* traffic issues.
I am bad at this sport because I play by the rules.

this is a topic specific forum not bonfire
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Is #2 an international standard or is it only USPA/North America?

For Germany: Yes, it's standard.

To the OP: Apart from that I find it very very disturbing that you don't know this basic but very important piece of information at 150 jumps according to your profile, you cannot brief every section of the handbook prior to jumping at any given drop zone. This would be comparable to going through every road rule before driving somewhere. You just have to rely on basic skills of your fellow jumpers.

UK / BPA is turn right - and it's taught at day one ground school, I'd consider it one of the most important things you should know, given that there really is such little time to react in that type of situation.

Don't worry, it's also entirely unmoderated. Knock yourself out :)
Back on topic, as adamhildreth says, we have the same rule (turn right if you are head-on), and it is well known.
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?