JohnMitchell

Advice on cutaways

Okay, so I see things in the sport and on youtube and I just want to get my 2 cents worth out there. My profile will show that I'm an instructor, NOT a rigger, and not particularly expert, but I have been in the sport a while and have 12+ cutaways to my name, so here goes:

When you've done all you can and you decide it's time to chop:

1- LOOK at your handles while you grab them. Stuff moves around on opening. I've known people to grab and pull on a lot of stuff that was NOT going to save their lives. If you have a D-ring reserve handle, hook your thumb thru it so you're not grabbing jumpsuit material and so you're pulling with your whole arm behind it, not just with your finger tips.

2- I recommend 1 hand on each handle. Very few people do "out of sequence" deployments. Too many people have died when they couldn't find their reserve handle in time. I know will be a point of debate in this discussion, but this is how I and my DZ train. Train and trust yourself to pull the handles in the proper order.

3- Put your feet on your butt and ARCH while you grab the handles. I see way too many videos of people flopping around, back to earth, feet at the sky, bent at the waist while their reserves deploy. This in not good. (If you have a camera on your head, think about keeping your head down as far as you can when you chop)

4- Every handle should always be pulled the direction the cable housings run. For most gear, this means pull STRAIGHT DOWN, towards your crotch. I see too many people teach and demonstrate "punching" the handles away from the body, as if they were boxing. This puts a 90 degree kink in the cables, increasing the pull forces dramatically.

5- Feel free to hold onto the handles after you pull and arch. A lot of us old timers used to use ripcords to open our mains. Hanging onto the handles was something we always did and has never caused me any troubles. If you really DO have a problem, you can deliberately drop the handles to free your hands.

Anyway, 1 and 3 may save your life. #5 may make your life a little easier. I've followed all these steps in each of my reserve rides, and all of them have been unremarkable. Feel free to discuss this with your own instructors..

The last two cutaway related fatalities at Skydive City were both experienced jumpers (most likely) pulling out of sequence. Both were main/reserve entanglements. We have had numerous near misses etc and injuries due to out of sequence or incomplete procedures.

The trend we have seen in recent years is experienced skydivers making pretty egregious mistakes on the most basic of things - pulling the cutaway handle and then pulling a reserve handle.

So we have revisited this at a student training level and have decided to teach a two handed pull and clear for the cutaway and the two handed pull and clear for the reserve.

The reasoning being that 99% of the rigs out their have a Mards, Skyhook, RSL or whatever. "Pulling and clearing the cutaway handle" just might be the most important part of the sequence, and the equipment does the rest.

Yes, I know, I know, not for every situation or for every person/rig. But our trend indicates a failure to execute, so we adapt to something that might work.

Two canopies out (fully or partially) today is a far more serious situation than it was in the days of massive canopies and the consequences of any out of sequence situation are grave.

But your points are all valid....mostly, TRAIN whatever you are going to do, then practice it every jump, then EXECUTE IT methodically when you need to.

The difference between a well-thought-out execution of procedures and a panicked one is only a couple seconds. If you pull at the right altitude, then you have time for that. Try once, try twice, buh-bye.

tkhayes

So we have revisited this at a student training level and have decided to teach a two handed pull and clear for the cutaway and the two handed pull and clear for the reserve.

The reasoning being that 99% of the rigs out their have a Mards, Skyhook, RSL or whatever. "Pulling and clearing the cutaway handle" just might be the most important part of the sequence, and the equipment does the rest.

Add to that eyes on reserve when pulling (two handed) cutaway

tkhayes

The last two cutaway related fatalities at Skydive City were both experienced jumpers (most likely) pulling out of sequence. Both were main/reserve entanglements.

The trend we have seen in recent years is experienced skydivers making pretty egregious mistakes on the most basic of things - pulling the cutaway handle and then pulling a reserve handle.

Thanks for the input. Like I said, my perusal of incident reports indicated "no reserve pull" was more common, but I could be wrong. Time for further research.

I still can't fathom pulling out of sequence, except in the case of a hard pull on the cutaway handle. One newer jumper confessed to doing just that because of a hard pull. I coached her a little more on technique.

Make sure you're pulling on the correct handle and straight down. If necessary, let go of the reserve handle and try twice more with both hands. In keeping with the "only 2 extra tries" rule of problems, it may be time to go straight to the reserve if you still can't pull the cutaway handle. Or you may have time to try again. This is one situation where you really need to watch your altitude..

I was at Skydive City for one of the out-of-sequence deployments. Very experienced jumper ended in needless fatality. I also know of two jumpers who pulled out of sequence, neither of whom skydives any more, one because he suffered a TBI on impact under entangled main/reserve, the other because it was a decision ti quit after the broken pelvis. Since I run the FJC and am responsible for QA of our students at my DZ, I made sure that we are teaching two hands method all around. I really dislike two pillow handles for A license jumpers and students. It invites error in a stressful situation. I am pretty sure all three of the above mentioned cases involved two pillow handles.
Charlie Gittins, 540-327-2208
AFF-I, Sigma TI, IAD-I
MEI, CFI-I, Senior Rigger
Former DZO, Blue Ridge Skydiving Adventures

JohnMitchell

4- Every handle should always be pulled the direction the cable housings run. For most gear, this means pull STRAIGHT DOWN, towards your crotch. I see too many people teach and demonstrate "punching" the handles away from the body, as if they were boxing. This puts a 90 degree kink in the cables, increasing the pull forces dramatically.

4a - The handles need to be peeled off the velcro. Velcro is very strong in shear, weak in peel.

4b - The TSO standard 22 pound pull is measured in the direction giving the highest pull force under normal operation -- that would be the "punching" direction. So yes, the pull force may be higher in that direction than it would be from pulling straight down, but it should still be less than 22 pounds. Also, we use a stronger set of muscles punching out rather than pulling down.

-Mark

mark

4a - The handles need to be peeled off the velcro. Velcro is very strong in shear, weak in peel.

Yes, very true. Although I have to personally admit never once feeling any Velcro resistance. (Adrenaline, perhaps? :D) Also, my rig (Infinity) peels from the top or bottom, so it's very easy to pull.

4b - The TSO standard 22 pound pull is measured in the direction giving the highest pull force under normal operation -- that would be the "punching" direction. So yes, the pull force may be higher in that direction than it would be from pulling straight down, but it should still be less than 22 pounds. Also, we use a stronger set of muscles punching out rather than pulling down.

-Mark

IDK that about the pull force test. Thanks. Your statement I put in boldface is absolutely correct. . That's one reason why I emphasize hooking the thumb thru the D-ring instead of grabbing it with the finger tips.

fencebuster

I was at Skydive City for one of the out-of-sequence deployments. Very experienced jumper ended in needless fatality. I also know of two jumpers who pulled out of sequence, neither of whom skydives any more, one because he suffered a TBI on impact under entangled main/reserve, the other because it was a decision ti quit after the broken pelvis. Since I run the FJC and am responsible for QA of our students at my DZ, I made sure that we are teaching two hands method all around. I really dislike two pillow handles for A license jumpers and students. It invites error in a stressful situation. I am pretty sure all three of the above mentioned cases involved two pillow handles.

Thanks for the input. I knew the "1 hand vs. 2 hands" would be the subject of some debate, and I welcome it. Perhaps each experienced jumper can weigh the evidence and decide for themselves. I do remember when all this stuff was brand new, and we were training ourselves a bit.

BTW, I'm a fan of real ripcords for reserves and I like and use an RSL. Also a TM, so I've trained myself "one hand on each" for all my jumping. Pulling the handles in sequence is a very conscious priority when I cutaway.

John: I am a TI as well, and I have 6 cut-aways (none on tandems). I had my first cutaway on CAT C, so I experienced the stress pretty early on, but the up side of that is that I have not hesitated to cut away early in situations where it was called for since. I have done two hand pulls, just fine, but I have D ring ripcord handles on both my personal rigs, so I am less likely to go out of sequence. Obviously, experience (and practice) helps, but the two jumpers with less experience that I discussed above panicked or made an erroneous choice of procedures when they could least afford it. Color coordinated pillow handles look cool, but I recommend to my jumpers buying gear for the first time that they go with the D ring to start.
Charlie Gittins, 540-327-2208
AFF-I, Sigma TI, IAD-I
MEI, CFI-I, Senior Rigger
Former DZO, Blue Ridge Skydiving Adventures

fencebuster

but the two jumpers with less experience that I discussed above panicked or made an erroneous choice of procedures when they could least afford it. Color coordinated pillow handles look cool, but I recommend to my jumpers buying gear for the first time that they go with the D ring to start.

And with the use of RSLs, the 2 hand option is a good choice, I have to admit.

I have to remark here, that people worry about pulling out of sequence. Using the 2 hands method, does anyone worry about grabbing out of sequence?

I acknowledge that out of sequence deployments have been a problem for some. Is this a fault in procedures or training? Are we getting the training we need? I'm lucky to be the type that seems to work well under stress. At least so far, so good. :)
Once again, thank you and everyone else for their thoughtful input on this subject.

BTW, one point I made "put your feet on your butt and ARCH!" seems to have been taken well. It's central to having an uneventful, stable deployment. I'd just like to re-emphasize that bit of advice. :)

JohnMitchell

Yes, very true. Although I have to personally admit never once feeling any Velcro resistance. (Adrenaline, perhaps? :D) Also, my rig (Infinity) peels from the top or bottom, so it's very easy to pull.

-Mark

IDK that about the pull force test. Thanks. Your statement I put in boldface is absolutely correct. . That's one reason why I emphasize hooking the thumb thru the D-ring instead of grabbing it with the finger tips.

The first time I needed a repack on my rig after getting into the sport I decided it would be great practice to go through my EP on the ground and actually pull the handles. I went through my EP the way I always did in the practice vests (we didn't have a hanging harness for training but using vests). I felt the reserve fire off my back and then I realized that my hand had slipped off the cutaway handle right before I pulled the reserve handle! I was shocked and realized that had that been an actual in air emergency I would probably of been fucked.

What I failed to realize was how important it is to peel the velcro before pulling that handle and to watch it closely to make sure that it is cleared. When I got my first rig here off of Dropzone.com I had sent it to Sunpath to have the harness replaced with a new one sized for me. Since it was a new harness the velcro was also brand new and nothing like what I had practiced with. It was a real eye opener for me and now I always pull those handles on the ground come repack time.

So I would add to your list that when it is time to get a repack, then put on your rig like you normally would and go through your EP. Make sure that everything works as advertised, you might just catch either an issue with your gear or with your own procedures that might need fixing.

Hi Mark,

The TSO standard 22 pound pull is measured in the direction giving the highest pull force under normal operation

Today it is possible to buy rigs built in accordance with any one of four different TSO versions. Not all of them have this req'ment: 'direction giving the highest pull force'

Just so people do not misunderstand.

Jerry Baumchen

raveninca

I felt the reserve fire off my back and then I realized that my hand had slipped off the cutaway handle right before I pulled the reserve handle! I was shocked and realized that had that been an actual in air emergency I would probably of been fucked.

What I failed to realize was how important it is to peel the velcro before pulling that handle and to watch it closely to make sure that it is cleared.

Yes, it is. Thanks for sharing that. As your head is down and you watch yourself grabbing the handles, you can also watch to make sure you PULL the handle. If you did have trouble with an actual hard pull, then you'd want to try with 2 hands for two tries. I think you've very well pointed out that merely going through the motions is only partial practice. There's no better practice than doing it for real.

So I would add to your list that when it is time to get a repack, then put on your rig like you normally would and go through your EP. Make sure that everything works as advertised, you might just catch either an issue with your gear or with your own procedures that might need fixing.

Great idea, always.

I'm not sure the younger crowd will appreciate this but there is an aviation quote that goes something like this: "In an emergency stop and wind your watch". The movie "Sully" is a textbook example of the importance of staying calm and executing emergency procedures methodically. Speed, is often the least important thing.

Great thread John.

rmarshall234

I'm not sure the younger crowd will appreciate this but there is an aviation quote that goes something like this: "In an emergency stop and wind your watch". The movie "Sully" is a textbook example of the importance of staying calm and executing emergency procedures methodically. Speed, is often the least important thing.

Great thread John.

I know what you're trying to say but there is a difference between the gliding capabilities of a AC and a skydiver. AC emergencies are generally not high spinning, high g-load ones as well. Factors of which tend to confuse rational problem management.

I think this is the best line of the tread:
"The difference between a well-thought-out execution of procedures and a panicked one is only a couple seconds. If you pull at the right altitude, then you have time for that. Try once, try twice, buh-bye. "

Some altitude to maneuver a reserve to a good landing site is always very nice. Prevents injuries as well.

How about this one from CMDR Chris Hadfield, the Canadian guitar-playing astronaut: "There is no problem so big that you can't make it worse". Or, one from the skydiving community we all should recognize: "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast".

I would say aircraft emergencies are often more complex in nature and not always as clearly defined. And, additional time to deal with it is not necessarily a good thing. (Back to the Chris Hadfield quote.) A skydiving malfunction on the other hand is usually pretty clear and there is typically just one response: "Look red, grab red......"

The one thing I would add to the other good suggestions in this thread would be to Check Altitude. For me it was always built into my emergency procedures (since I wore a wrist mount altimeter on my left hand and used the two-handed method) and required no additional time. "Look red" always provided an altitude reference at the same time. If I was low (and didn't know it already) it was time to expedite the procedures but no need to change them.

rmarshall234

Why not? From everything I've seen it looks like you'd make a really good one. And, since it sounds like you are semi-retired now you'd have lots of time to prepare. ;):P

I regret that I didn't get that ticket years ago. Plus I sew terribly. So it's always been easier to take the rigs in for a repack at each cycle, and pay someone out of my tandem earnings. Tax deductible, ya know. :S

To go along with the Chris Hadfield mention, astronauts spend a huge amount of time thinking about and simulation emergency scenarios. While they can't simulate or think about every eventuality, each one they cover is one that they already have a plan for, and it's also another step in the thought process of analyzing an unforeseen problem. Both of those give the astronaut (or skydiver) more time to deal with the situation. This doesn't have to be live-action rehearsal; just think, in some detail, about some scenario you read about in Incidents or Parachutist or hear about from someone.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

wmw999

To go along with the Chris Hadfield mention, astronauts spend a huge amount of time thinking about and simulation emergency scenarios. While they can't simulate or think about every eventuality, each one they cover is one that they already have a plan for, and it's also another step in the thought process of analyzing an unforeseen problem. Both of those give the astronaut (or skydiver) more time to deal with the situation. This doesn't have to be live-action rehearsal; just think, in some detail, about some scenario you read about in Incidents or Parachutist or hear about from someone.

Wendy P.

+1

How awesome it would be to receive that kind of training. And, to have the perspective of having seen the earth from afar.

wmw999

Wendy P.

In a way astronauts are a poor example IMO. They are the best of the best with no offense intended to the USN. For every $ the USN spends on Top Gun pilots, NASA likely spends $10,000. Full size modules underwater to practice on, etc. etc. The mission commanders are the pick of test pilots who have dealt with real emergencies, in dead calm demeanor.

Pilots deal with simple emergencies to complex. Ones where a co-pilot might be flipping through page after page of a manual. To try another procedure to reset some obscure but necessary fuse. Some where the problem is no gear down but an hour of fuel to figure it out. To Scully's no power, no altitude, full load and no good options.

As several have mentioned already altitude and rate of decent are the buffering factors in decision making. A canopy flying more or less straight and more than less inflation. Is different than a spin increasing mess where the rate of decent is the same as freefall.

Now the situation is:

Dual color coordinated pillow handles under a high speed spinning mal where you can't see your handles. Now act correctly you have seven seconds to safe minimum deployment altitude.

Good advice to read through John, thanks.

JohnMitchell

Yes, very true. Although I have to personally admit never once feeling any Velcro resistance. (Adrenaline, perhaps? :D)

Agree, my cutaway was on my 24th jump and i always remember thinking that the Velcro was tough when practicing my EP's. When it came to the time to cut it, i can't even remember it being in the slightest bit difficult, definitely the adrenaline!

Lost my reserve D ring handle on pulling it, but pretty sure the rsl beat me to it.