climber71

Does going to a wind tunnel really help?

Got back from Orlando, Fl for my first wind tunnel training. Got some good practice done. Surprised to say more of a workout than skydiving. Guess it was from being in the tunnel for 15 minutes, sweating, felt tired afterwards. Had to go across the street to the Wet n' Wild to cool off.

Did an hour between jumps 5 & 6 and it helped make the rest of my AFF progression easier. I knew I was going to be stable once I was in the air so the main concern was exit, EPs, pulling, & canopy flight.

Did another 90min at 60 jumps to learn back and sit. Helped a lot with both of those.

Doing another 90min, possibly 2 hours, in Dec. to work on sit and start learning head down.

Personally I prefer to learn in the tunnel as the boundaries give me a true appreciation of how the smallest movement can affect your flying.

Got back from Orlando, Fl for my first wind tunnel training. Got some good practice done. Surprised to say more of a workout than skydiving. Guess it was from being in the tunnel for 15 minutes, sweating, felt tired afterwards. Had to go across the street to the Wet n' Wild to cool off.

I just did 10 minutes with Trevor last night. I love that tunnel, I learn alot fast and really get to work on small controled movements. We should jump sometime in DeLand!

Read this today in another thread and found it to be interesting, since you don't pull in the tunnel either.

Labrys-
What do you think caused your hard pull?

My inability to bend my arm back far enough to reach my hackey :-D
(As a result of being very sore from lots of tunnel time the previous day)

Yes, this can happen from being sore from a number of things, just something to be aware of, as most people are really sore after tunnel time. So I'd also suggest practice touches in the tunnel if you aren't already.

I'm sure I am "talking out my ass" again by providing more food for thought, so take it with a grain..
Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.

Read this today in another thread and found it to be interesting, since you don't pull in the tunnel either.

Labrys-
What do you think caused your hard pull?

My inability to bend my arm back far enough to reach my hackey :-D
(As a result of being very sore from lots of tunnel time the previous day)

Yes, this can happen from being sore from a number of things, just something to be aware of, as most people are really sore after tunnel time. So I'd also suggest practice touches in the tunnel if you aren't already.

I'm sure I am "talking out my ass" again by providing more food for thought, so take it with a grain..

that's very good advice in my opinion. I always do practice touches in the tunnel via my instructors request and he even makes me fly in the grabbed position to confirm stability during pull.

15 min in the tunnel is more freefall time than 15 skydives. When is the last time you did 15 skydives in an hour or so?