xAer0

Stainless steel vs standard hardware

What are the of advantages of having stainless steel hardware on a rig, instead of the standard hardware?I understand all the parts are TSO'd anyway, so is it just an aesthetic asset, or are the non-stainless steel hardware inferior in any way to their stainless steel counterparts?
'Don't pull low, unless you are afraid of heights!'
Tefkros

There's nothing wrong with the standard hardware on any rig. Stainless is marginally stronger and much sexier than standard hardware, though. Sunpath includes s/s hardware standard on all Javelins and Odysseys. Relative Workshop uses a gorgeous nickel plated hardware standard on Vector 3's that, imho, looks even better than the extra cost stainless hardware.
pull and flare,
lisa

Thanx Lisa :)
I like the Unisyn Harness of the new Mirages, and it would be ok for me to pay the extra $300 to get it...but another $260 for stainless hardware?Sounds irrational to me!
Gee...all these skydiving fashion gadgets make me desperate!
:P
'Don't pull low, unless you are afraid of heights!'
Tefkros

Bring back capwells!!! now THAT would be a fashion statement...
jk
But yea.. there's so many gizmos and options, I cant imagine being new to the sport these days and having to make these decisions... The only options I had when I started once you selected the rig was colors and where did you want the pilot chute.....
Remi

They actaully have another metal that they're using, also - it's shiny like Stainless, but there is no upcharge for it, ask them about it. Note, they do not use stainless on the leg straps because the coefficient of friction is low, the straps tend to slip on those.

Thanx, I didn't know about the other metal(my guess is that it's just another coating, not another metal but I may be wrong-what's shiny and strong besides s/s...ah...platinum, rhodium...cheap ones :P ), I'll make sure I get more info :)
Don't pull low, unless you are afraid of heights!
Tefkros

*** "Stainless is marginally stronger" ***
I dont think I would call it marginally stronger, its almost twice as strong. For example Rapid connector links
3.5 safe working load 220 lbs.
3.5 stainless safe working load 480 lbs.
4 safe working load 400
4 stainless safe working load 615
I work in a refinery and we use stainless everywhere we can because its stronger and more corrosion resistant then carbon or other types of steel.
That said I don't have stainless on my rig, cause, The risers or webbing would probably break first anyway. However I'm not a rigger and don't know that to be fact. But stainless is a lot more expensive. It is stronger, but I don't know if that translates to safer if your risers break first anyway. Then again it does look great.

Stainless steel parachute hardware must be made somewhat bigger in cross sectional area because of it's much lower tinsel strength (tinsel in PSI) compared to "heat treated alloy steel."
Heat teated alloy steel (i.e., 4140 @ 40 RC) on the other hand is double the strength of stainless.
(18-8 alloy)
In the case of Rapide links, the only reason that stainless is stronger than steel, is that the steel that is used is low carbon-non heat treated steel.
David Weidner said--
>They actaully have another metal that they're using, also - it's shiny like Stainless,
>but there is no upcharge for it, ask them about it. Note,
>they do not use stainless on the leg straps because the coefficient of friction
>is low, the straps tend to slip on those.
DB--This is electroless nickel plate over alloy steel--looks like stainless
Dave Brownell
DB Technologies

depends on the grades (strength).... depends on the corrosion resistance you are looking for (which flavor metal). I would definately NOT use stainless in a high chloride environment - stress corrosion cracking. they each (carbon, stainless, alloy 20, Inconel, hastelloy, nickel - yes they make nickel piping, teflon coating, etc.) have their place in refineries and chemical plants. I wouldn't use stainless bolting unless it's a high heat application either. (my background -- 15 years as equipment engineer in the field)
BTW: I got the nickel plating on my last Mirage, looks better than the regular hardware (IMO), but without the slippage.

I must say that I will not buy stainless hardware again. I purchased a new rig with stainless and had problems with the leg straps slipping. I believe it was due to the finishing process of the leg strap buckles. The "teeth" on the buckle did not have the edges on them that non stainless hardware have. I am very happy with the nickle plated hardware Plus it leaves me more money for jumps.

Pollution is the main reason the parachute industry is shifting from cadmium plated to stainless steel hardware. Traditionally, parachute hardware had a cadmium plating to prevent corrosion. Unfortunately, the cadmium plating process produces nasty toxic waste that is very expensive to dispose of.
Another disadvantage of cadmium plating is that cadmium is comparatively soft and easily abrades off hardware.
Corrosion is not really an issue unless you jump in a highly corrosive environment like the ocean or the Amazon basin. Then the reddish-brown corrosion of regular steel starts to abrade nylon webbing. Webbing will wear out long before the strength of the steel is significantly affected.
Stainless steel is not corrosion proof, it just corrodes at a slower rate and the corrosion residue it produces is a harmless black/grey powder.

Mirage Systems does the same thing, their hip rings are stainless, but not the friction adapters.I don't know if all manufacturers changed their friction adapters to non-stainless...Parachutes de France has a nice friction adapter, looks shiny, but I'll have to check whether it's polished stainless or smth else.
Don't pull low, unless you are afraid of heights
Tefkros