mountainman

PISA Hornet.....some questions...

I am wondering if anyone here has a Hornet canopy?? I have read all of the comments on it and it sounds pretty awesome. I am wanting to get a 170 with all my new gear, but have heard different things. Some people think it's too small and some people think that it would be a good learning canopy. I'll be loading it at about 1.3:1, but my student canopy has been loaded at about 1.1:1.
Personally, I think that this would be a good idea, because it would give me the opportunity to grow into it and not become bored with it after 20 jumps.
I would like to hear all of your opinions about it. I have heard NOTHING but good about the Hornet. I would like to demo it before I but it, but if that is not possible, I want to know what to expect.
One more question....where can I find out more info about the canopy?? I cannot find a website about it or find more pictures of it. The only info I have got has been from dz.com.
Thanks for all your help!!:)--------------
Check out our all-new website!

Hey Mountainman,
Our dropzone uses Hornets for transition from student gear so I've had the opportunity to do about 30 jumps on them. I liked them and their price enough to order one. They have colour coded lines which make packing easy. All openings so far have been soft.
Cheers,
NewGuy B|

I have 120 jumps on my Hornet 190 loaded at 1.2 and still love it. I don't think you need to load the Hornet to 1.3 to have some fun with it. After jumping student canopies it will seem like a dream to you.
I'm pretty conservative in general which is why I have a 190. Still pretty safe and fun at the same time.
You might talk to Roy at Rigs & Things Para-Service or visit his website http://www.para-service.com
The Dutchboy
http://www.geocities.com/ppolstra

Thanks Newguy and Dutchboy.....my gear store guy is an Icarus man, and I think he's going to try to get me under a Safire or something. However, I have heard tons of good things about the Hornet, so I'm probably going to stick with it.
You can't beat $910 for a very nice, Zero-P, semi-ellip canopy. Any other comments you have to make on it, please leave them.
Also, can you find a website for PISA that has info on the canopy?? I haven't been able to find anything. Thanks!!!
--------------
Check out our all-new website!

give larry at skydive suffolk in suffolk virginia a call.
i think his site is www.skydivesuffolk.com
he has alot of experience with hornets (and cobalts)

Hehe. Small world. When we were talking about the Hornet on AIM yesterday and I told you we had a lot of Hornet student canopies at our DZ, I was referring to Skydive Suffolk. The web site Dan posted is correct. If you want to call Larry, the dropzone phone number is (757)-539-3531. You can't use the 800-SKYDIVE since you're outside of Virginia - you'd probably get a DZ in Ohio. I can also give you our master rigger's number if you want it, since he packs most of the student canopies, watches them open, and talks the students down on them. AIM me if you want that info.
Blue ones,
Grogs

Yah, I've got about 150 jumps on my Hornet 190, and I've been quite happy with it. My first canopy, and would recommend it to anyone who's starting out. I'm about 205lbs (probably 230-235 on exit) so my loading is about 1.2 lbs/sqft. No malfunctions and only one opening that really rocked me, so odds are that the bad one was my fault anyway 8-). It's easy to pack with the fabric and the packing tabs, and floats fairly well from long spots. It's also really inexpensive, which is great for a first canopy -- and if you want to sell it, it's fairly easy to find a novice who will pick it up from you.

My story is about the same. I have a Hornet 190 and have about 150 satisfied openings on it, except for a couple of hard ones which were probably my fault...loose nose or lines. Packing it is a breeze, even when brand new because they use a slightly diiferent ZP material. The color-coded lines are great too. My only complaint is that I wish I had a 170 because my exit weight is around 180, so I am underloading the 190 and it's too docile. Anyways, If you get a Hornet I'm sure you'll love it.

Skreamer and I both jump Hornets and love them. I can't remember what size he has, but I have a 170. Packing it is easy (just have to roll the nose and tail) and it flies beautfully. Very stable in turbulence, never have to fly in more than 1/4 brakes and that is only occasionally.
Sis
I lust for the ultimate rush..."

Skreamer and I both jump Hornets and love them. I can't remember what size he has, but I have a 170. Packing it is easy (just have to roll the nose and tail) and it flies beautfully.

I still have a Hornet 190, and I have never had to roll the nose or tail.. It opens consistently in 400-500ft.. It opens quickly, but not hard.. I psycho-pack it because that's the only way I can get a 190 into a container sized for a 150..
Mike

I have a Hornet '150 which I am loading at 1.17. I have made about 50 jumps on it so far and am really happy with it. I have jumped a friend's Sabre '170 and found the turns on that to be a bit crisper. I have had some hard openings, but those were my own fault. My opinion would be not to get one with a loading of 1.3 at your experience level. I get a lot of pleasure from flying my Hornet and look forward to doing so for a long time to come.
Will