PhillyKev

Line stow length????

Well...finally learned to pack. Unfortunately it was raining all weekend so that's all I got to do. Pack, unpack, pack, unpack...look at the clouds. So, I still have to jump my own pack job (last thing I need for my A license).
Anyway, my question is, when someone says use 2-1/2 to 3 inch line stows, are you referring to the length of the loop from the rubber band to the end of the loop, or does that mean 3 inches of line looped over and then stowed???
cielos azules y cerveza fría
-Kevin

band to end of loop. Line stows (IMHO) are one of the most important, but most overlooked aspect of packing (especially if you're jumping that is an older design that tends to open quickly as it is). Short, non-secure line stows lead to a plethora of issues.

...But stows that are too long can also lead to issues!
When you put the bag back in the container, especially when you spin it around, it is possible to insert one stow into the loop of another stow if they are too long, and then you packed yourself a baglock malfunction.
Just my thoughts....
chris
"but hunny, I'll be away from my chute 5 weeks too..." -chris

Line stows-line dump
I recommend no less than 2 1/2" bites for the locking stows and not less than 3" bites for the last four stows, with the bands wrapped twice if needed. As far as Tube Stows are concerned, you may want to do a Double Larks head knot, as this will make for a tighter stow without double wrapping the line bite. (see "tighter" or "tightest" on Tube Stow instruction sheet)
Aside from poor line stowing methods, the other negative factors in line dump are large pilot chutes and light weight canopies, as both these factors will mean higher bag acceleration away from the jumper. This results in the stowed lines pulling on the stows harder during bag launch, possibly resulting in their premature release (line dump) if not stowed properly. Large pilot chutes also increase the percentages of fast/hard openings for other reasons other than line dump.
I'm currently jumping an Atair Cobalt 135 with a 21" ZP pilot chute that I made.
(400+ jumps on PC)
I recommend quartering the slider.
Dave Brownell
Mesa/Eloy, AZ