Snowflake

psychopack

I was just on the Icarus website and saw a video of psychopacking and it looks so easy to do compared to propacking. My question is I never see people at my DZ packing like that so I'm wondering is it safe. I would appreciate any feedback before I go and pack myself a mal. Oh yea you can see the video here he packs it in like 60 seconds http://precision.aerodynamics.com/psycho/psycho_pack.htm
Drop till ya party
JG

There is a guy who freeflys/videos at my dz who psycho packs his Heatwave all the time and SWEARS by it.
He says it is the softest, most consistent on heading opening he has ever had...as well as saying it is the easiest way to ZP into a bag. I have watched him do it over and over and can't wait to get a HP canopy to start doing it. I have had such problems with most of my openings, but I am sorting out my packing so that it is consistent and when I get to psychopack stage...then it should be SWEET AS!
Other than the press blurb you read about the psycho pack...it is loved by those who do it, and others see no point in it. Just like ALL other packing methods and what not with the sport...To each their own!! I have seen so many different styles of not just packing, but training, jumping, exiting, blah, blah, blah!
So, Find what works for you (through some safe experimentation) and stick with it!!!!
Be Safe!
Kahurangi e Mahearangi,
Pyke :P
NZPF A - 2584
USPA C- ?????

At my DZ alot of the freeflyer tend to Psycho Pak, i dont like the way the rolled up canopy looks in my rig it starts to deform the container after awhile. But they swear by that packing method, another girl that her boy friends a rigger, psycho paks her Sabre 150 without any problems, so i think its all just a matter of preference, i like PRO packing but alot of my pack jobs look like im just stuffing it in there (but those stuffed ones that look sloppy are the best openings).
Jonathan

My $0.02 worth....Psycho packing IS still Pro-packing, but instead of "folds" at the end, you "roll" it like a sleeping bag.
The idea of psycho-packing was just to make it easier to handle those slippery (new) ZP material canopies while getting it in the d-bag. I'm no expert, and only jump a Hornet 190, but I have used this method a few times and couldn't tell a difference. But if you're going to try it, the main thing to remember is to take that 180 twist back out of the lines before bagging it. Oh, and it's easier too if you have a bridle extension on your canopy. Have fun!

He says it is the softest, most consistent on heading opening he has ever had...as well as saying it is the easiest way to ZP into a bag. I have watched him do it over and over and can't wait to get a HP canopy to start doing it.

No need to wait until you get a high performance canopy to try the psycho pack. I've used or seen it used on Safires, Sabres, Spectres and a Vengence. No problems so far.

You dont consider a Vengenace a High Performance Canopy? Whats the deff then of a HP Canopy?

Sure I do - the point was that you can psychopack anything, whether the manufacturer recommends it or not. Whether or not it opens is your problem. :)

I pyschopak.
One thing, even Icarus doens't reccomend it for some of their canopies, like the Crossfire. I think that has to do with it has a very slow opening anyway. So if your canopy is very snivelly to begin with, you may not want to do it. There is no sense in having 1000 foot openings. That can get dangerous if you get yourself into a low pull situation.
I like it though, easy to get in the bag, and very consistant, and it is what Icarus reccomends for the safire. But all in all, like someone said, it really is just a propak, with a twist. Don't let the name scare you.

I psychopack my Safire which is recommended by Icarus. As someone has already stated it is not alot different than a PRO pack. As far as what kind of canopy should or should not be psychopacked, I think that if your canopy takes 600 plus feet to open now it should not be psychopacked, other than that I think it would work great on any canopy. I had a Falcon and for some reason after 80 jumps on it over the 820 jumps it had when I bought it, I starte getting slammed on opennings. When I switched for psychopacking it, it openned great it took a little longer to open but it was a nice soft openning.
There is my .02
Kirk

My question is I never see people at my DZ packing like that so I'm wondering is it safe.

I have psycho-packed several different types of canopies, and never had a problem.. If you start to psycho pack, I'm sure you'll hear the "My first cutaway was a psycho-pack" line from a few people.. Well, my first two cutaways were PRO packs.....it means nothing(other than that the pack job sucked).. With the psycho pack, I was EASILY able to fit a canopy 40sqft larger than the manufacturer said I could get into the D-bag..
What kind of canopy do you have? Is it an Icarus Safire? I've had nothing but good results with psycho-packing the Safire.. Icarus says not to psycho-pack the Crossfire - I'm not sure why.. The only explanation I've received when I asked 'em was "Bad shit happens"..
Mike

I have psycho-packed my own Sabre for well over 100 jumps and other's Sabre's with no problems. I have also psycho-packed Stiletto's, HeatWaves, Spectre's, a Manta and even an Esprit with no problems at all.
The psycho-pack is just like a PRO-pack until you lay it on the ground and roll it up. In my opinion it is better on the pack-job because you're not stuffing a ton of fabric underneath the canopy while not being able to control the lines. With a psycho-pack you're just squeezing the air out, folding in thirds and rolling it up.
Just make sure to put the bag on up-side down so that when you twist the bag back 180-degrees to normal it is facing the correct way and you may need to use a 6"-8" bridle extension between the top of the canopy and your D-Bag so that the ring-stop is at the PC connector at the bottom of the bag instead of your canopy fabric.
Do a search on some of my old posts as I wrote a how-to on it a month or so back.
If you have any questions, let me know!
Kris