trippin

new gear

Looking for my first rig, what do you think of the following, dolphin, hornet 170,tempo 170,and cypress
for about 3200 new. I weigh 160 by the way. I know some suggest used gear but this sounds like a good deal to me. Any suggestions ? thanks...mike

I am also curious as to what those of you that have jumped either a dolphin or a hornet(or both) think about this particular set up....

I have a Hornet, and it's a great canopy.. Flies like a Sabre, but with snappier turns and(IMHO) a much better flare.. Compares to the Safire - but not anywhere near as deep in the control range on the flare.. I loaded my Hornet at 1.2, and have jumped one as high as 1.5..
I have never jumped a Dolphin - can't really comment there.. From what I hear, the new ones are freefly friendly.. For $200-300 more, however, you could get just about any type of container(Talon 2, Vector III, Mirage, Javelin) - probably even a fully articulated harness..
As for some comments you will get on the reserve - I'd say ignore 'em.. Take a look how many Tempo reserves are out there - and how many saves Tempo's have.. I do believe that the PD reserves are stronger(much more reinforcing), but chances of a Tempo failing are very slim.. Stay within the limits, and do everything possible to reduce your chance of a reserve deployment in a fast freefly position..
Mike

You can also mix and match with Rigs n things. That's an inexpensive package he put together as a deal, but you can change different parts (container, reserve) of it and I think you'll still get a good deal from him.
cielos azules y cerveza fría
-Kevin

I jumped a Hornet 190 last month and really enjoyed it. Despite being bigger than my Sabre, the Hornet turned quicker and turf-surfed farther.
I have packed dozens of Dolphins and think are perfectly airworthy at a fraction of the cost of name-brand rigs.
I have packed hundreds of Tempo reserves and am always impressed with their quality of materials and workmanship. The only people who have to worry about tearing up Tempos are people who seriously overload them and deploy them far faster than they are certified for.
Sounds like a decent deal.

I would definately not buy new. That is a good deal for new equipment, but you are going to want to upgrade your container/ downsize your canopy before you know it. If you buy used then you will be able to sell it for almost the same amount you paid for it, but if you buy new then it depreciates as soon as you buy it. If you have the extra money, I guess that is ok, but actually if you have the extra money I would buy a better container. Dolphins are fine, but they are definately the "economy" version and you will quickly get tired of them. They are safe but definately not flattering.
jhus

thanks for the replies, will keep looking around for used gear also, thanks

If you buy a new rig, a Hornet is a damn good choice for a first canopy.. The reason I say this is because of the pack volume on the Hornet.. I put a Hornet 190 in a container sized for a 150ZP main.. Tight fit - but it works.. I can safely go as low as about a 120-135ZP main(depending on model), or even as small as about a 100 in a cross braced canopy.. Be sure to talk to the container manufacturer first, however, to see which size they would recommend for the Hornet 170/Tempo 170 combo - and ask how small of a main you could safely put in there.. You may be suprised.. Be sure to have the pack volume of the Hornet as some manufacturers may not be familiar with it..
Mike

Sounds like a great set up! I have nothing but praise for Dolphin containers. At 28 jumps (I think) I had a dual deployment on a Quasar II rig. I still have no idea why this happened. I also saw another guy from our club have one on the same brand container. I do however remember pushing the reserve pin all the way down on numerous occasions with that container. I have about 20 jumps on my (old model) Dolphin and I have yet to see the pin move at all. It is really comfortable and I have exchanged e-mail with the manufacturer who says they will do all the "free fly friendly" updates for about $300 and get it back to me in two weeks or less. I love mine!