Austin

Packing a Triathlon

I have just bought a used Triathlon with 15 jumps on it and am curious as to the packing method. I do not know how to pro-pack as of yet and am wondering if there is anything special that should be done if I stack pack it. Thanks.
Happy Hops,
Austin

Good choice on canopy selection. I think you will enjoy the Triathlon very much compared to what you are used to jumping. Although you can stack pack any canopy, you will find it much easier to pro-pack this canopy. It is very easy to learn how to do and once you do, you'll never want to stack pack again. Rather than having to walk around the canopy during each step, you can pack the whole thing while standing in one spot. The next time you're at the DZ, I'm sure either I or anyone else there can take the time to show you how to do it. Congratulations again on your gear purchase.
Blue Skies,
Paul Eriksmoen

Hey Paul,
Yes, it would probably help me quite a bit to learn to pro-pack...especially to get on the next load like somebody else I know at Skydive KS who's initials are P.E. haha. The bad thing is that I talked to the guy and I'll probably get my canopy in like a week and a half, but no container for another 4-5 weeks :( and I do still need to get that reserve, but I've had an easier time finding good reserves than mains, so I decided to snatch this one up (especially since it just has 15 jumps on it!!)
see ya a week or so.
happy hops,
Austin

I wouldn't recommend psycho packing it. My husband got talked into trying it with his Triathlon and he got slammed on opening and had line twists so bad he almost cutaway. It may have just been a one time freak thing but it was done by a guy who psycho packs all the time with his Silhouette and Sabre with good results so I'm inclined to think maybe it was the Triathlon.
Skies,
D :P

Donna,
It was a freak thing. Triathlons only open hard when they are sloppily packed. Either your husband didn't have the slider all the way to the top of the lines or his line stows were really loose.
Austin,
Beg, borrow or steal .... Well maybe not steal. That would be bad for your karma. But certainly buy a copy of the "Pack Like A Pro" video tape. This excellent video tape teachs both flat and Pro packing in a professional manner. You can also learn to "Psycho Pack" or "Wolmari Pack" from their respective websites. Despite their odd names, both psycho packing and wolmari packing are just minor variations on pro packing.
Back in the good old days, I used to flat pack my Strato Cloud. As soon as Pro packing came into to fashion, I stated Pro packing my Cruislite. Now I Pro pack everything, including reserves. It has been so long since I have flat packed a main that I have lost the touch. Wait a minute, I was never very good at flat packing to begin with!
Thanks for reading my ramble.

I'm not sure, considering I haven't even learned to pack yet...but from what I read my understanding was that Psycho packing causes a SLOWER opening than PRO pack. Am I wrong?

Correct.. The psycho pack generally tames hard opening canopies.. It's also MUCH easier to get a canopy into the bag when psycho packing over pro packing.. I use psycho packing most of the time - especially when the canopy is a tight fit in the D-bag..
Mike

I use a standard pro-pack and tuck the nose a little on my Triathlon. That seems to give me the best openings. I have tried rolling the nose, tucking the nose and leaving the nose alone. Tucking the nose appears to slow deployments if its opening hard. Rolling the nose didn't seem too much for my openings. Hope this helps