cpwaters

Sink the Dolphin?

I am looking at a used Dolphin, but I seem to recall several conversations around the club about how people will not ever buy a Dolphin. Is there any good reason not to buy a Dolphin container. Do people question their safety, or are they uncomfortable, or is it just cosmetic things that people do not like.
Thanks
CP

Here is just my opinion on them:
It seems like equipment preferences run a certain way at different DZ's. For instance, ours is predominately Mirage's and Sabre's. I, personally, had a Dolphin and now have a Mirage. My Dolphin was just fine for me. The leg straps were a little less comfortable then the Mirage, but the entire rig was used and a little big for me. The pin protection isn't as good, and it's said that they are not 'freefly-friendly', but I've also heard the new Dolphin's are just fine as they have the new tuck-tab riser covers.
Overall, Dolphin was a fine rig for me, especially just off student status. It isn't the quality that my Mirage is, but it also isn't as expensive as the Mirage. Part of my love of my new Mirage, too, is that it was specifically made for someone exactly my size, even though I also bought it used, so it fits me very well. However, it also is an older one with velcro rather then tuck-tab riser covers so isn't considered freefly friendly either, so...*shrug*
It's all opinion. I haven't heard of any real safety issues with them, but you can double-check their site. I know they were going to reinforce the reserve flap because of the plastic that's in it poking through on some of the Dolphins, but that was the only thing I've heard needed fixed on older ones.
Just my .02
Pammi
Our webpage

I jump a Dolphin, as do several others I know. The real problem people seem to have with them is brand fixation and the fact they aren't fancy. People assume that inexpensive = cheap construction. The reality is that these are made by the guy who invented the Javelin, and if you pack the reserves a certain way you can hardly tell the difference.
A Dolphin might not be the most stylish, but is definitely the best value around.
As for safety issues, if you have an older Dolphin without the bridle cover and velcro near the BOC pouch or the old riser cover snaps you should let a rigger update the rig for you. I've done 200mph+ with my Dolphin 2000 (built 6-2000) without any issues.
The Dutchboy
http://www.geocities.com/ppolstra

Half the problem with the Dolphin is that it is not the latest fashion.
The other problem with the Dolphin is that earlier Dolphins had a bit of Velcro. If your rig has Velcro, you have to pay your rigger to replace worn Velcro every once in a while. I say again, if your rig has Velcro, you have to pay your rigger to replace it every once in a while.
Velcro is much easier to replace than frayed tuck tabs. Most Senior Riggers can replace Velcro, but it takes an arrogant Master Rigger with two or more fancy sewing machines to replace tuck tabs.
Correction, the wear problem is on the top flap of the main container. The problem is that the bridle frays the right edge of the main top flap during opening. Eventually the plastic stiffener pokes through the Parapack - or is it Oxford cloth? - and risks catching suspension lines. Altico issued a service bulletin describing the fix. Before anyone starts using this as an excuse to trash talk Dolphins, remember that I have done the same repair on Javelins, Teardrops and older Talons.

I jump a previously-owned Dolphin D3. It is safe, comfortable, and inexpensive. I have had some of my velcro replaced, and modifications have been made to fulfill service bulletin objectives. I would not hesitate to recommend purchasing a used Dolphin container that is in good condition.

I jump an "old" Dlophin. I love it. It wouldnt be considered "Free Fly Friendly" by anyone I know although thats almost the only jumps I do. I wouldnt really reccomend this to anyone. It's hazardous but as Skymonkeyone once told me, If you packed it right in the first place you wouldnt have problems. I have had problems on a Quasar II rig I used to jump. I had a dual deployment for still unknown reasons. I wasnt the only one that this happened to in the club. My reserve pin has never moved since the rigger placed it there 21 jumps ago with this old Dolphin rig. I have talked to the factory and they will do all the "Free Fly Friendly" updates for about $300. Most new rigs are FF friendly and have all the bells and whistles. I would definately suggest these updates to rig design. The only close call I had was a few weeks ago when I was in a stand for several thousand feet and had a riser flapping when I rolled to my belly to pull. It was only a couple seconds worth and deployment went fine. Dolphins are great rigs.
"I want to fly like a silly angel, Lean for the sky, straight into the sun"-Fuel
Clay

I too jump a Dolphin, but mine is new. I bought it last September, so it is almost a year old. I only have like 40 jumps on it though. I freefly in it but its new so has extra bridle and pin protection. The only bitch I have with it are the leg straps aren't that comfortable. I measured wrong I think. Word of advice: If you get custom anything, have a friend help you measure! LOL - Dolphins are safe containers. Nothing wrong with them. Tell the people at your dz we "fish owners" said to suck off!! ;-)
Sis
Before you judge me, take a look at you... Metallica - Holier Than Thou