rendezvous

Cost of gear for a starter

What do you think about a talon with ( < 50 jumps on it ) a pd 160 ( new ) and a falcon main ( < 150 jumps ), for $2150 and 3200 with new cypres. The size is appropriate for me I just want to know if the price is decent for such a gear for someone like me with 11 jumps after the AFF. Also what do you think about the gear itself. Also what are your views regarding a racer ( with 500 jumps ), a pd 160 ( no jumps ) and a Sabre 190 ( 500 jumps with new lines ) and a new cypres for $2650. Which of the two would be a better buy for a beginner assuming a budget of about $3000 including cypres. How is talon as a container, specially at this price. Thanks.

Only problem I see with the first option is that by the time you are ready to down size the main will be worth next to nothing due to it being F111 material. The price is about market value but a new cypres is under 1000 brand new due to the weak value of the euro. The second option has a better main but the sabre has been known as a hard opening canopy. Slider pockets seem to deal with that issue. Try demoing both rigs and have a jumpmaster check you out before you jump them and have them evaluate your landings. ZP landings are different then F111 landings. Either package is an acceptible buy, but at about 20 jumps keep demoing other products to see what YOU like. Sure you can get a complete used rig cheap, but you can probally piece together a used rig from other places just as cheap and that way you get what YOU want.
Whoa... That was cool!

Prices sound a touch high. I would offer $1900 for the rig with the Falcon main.
More important, pick canopies that are the correct size for you. If a junior jumper is going to wear a PD 160 reserve, he/she should weight at most 160 pounds exiting the shower.
As for wether Racers are good rigs, the answer is yes. Whether you can find a rigger who is good at packing Racers is a totally different question. The problem with packing Racer reserves is finding the correct tools. It took me 10 years of struggling with expensive, awkward steel tools before I finally developed my own Cypres-compatible temporary loops for closing Racers. I will cheerfully share my design with other riggers.

The Racer sounds like a better buy.
I would only offer $1900 for the Talon with the Falcon main.
Talons are some of the best containers on the market. When I worked at the Talon factory we used to tease Sandy Reid by saying that the worst business decision he ever made was to make the early Talons so tough!
Racers are also good containers, the tough part is finding a rigger who is good at packing them.

Appreciate everyones reply. Have another question. Lets say I can negotiate the price of the talon gear to 1900 ( without the cypres ) do you think it would be a better buy over the Racer, considering that the racer cannot be packed by all riggers. Also, would $650 be a good price for this falcon. How much would it's resale be with about 400 Jumps on it if kept properly. How is a Sabre 190 with 300 jumps on it and new lines at $750. Thanks.

Used F111 mains with under 400 jumps are sitting on the shelf where I work priced at $400 and less - and they aren't going anywhere. $650 for a Falcon with 150 jumps seems a bit excessive to me.; resale value at 400 jumps? Dunno, but I wouldn't expect too much.
That's a good price for that Sabre. Even though Sabres are known for the occasional hard opening, they are still an excellent entry level zp canopy, especially for those who can't afford to buy new. I'd highly recommend buying a used Sabre over any all F111 canopy - it's going to last longer and land better.
What are the manufacture dates on the two containers? I wouldn't pay that price for the Talon if it was built prior to 1994 - the "older" style Talons are not very "freefly friendly." Any Talon built after 1994 is pretty tight and should work well for freeflying. Like Rob said, it can be hard to find a rigger who is capable of packing a Racer without lots of swearing; also be aware that you will need to be religious about maintaining the velcro on it if you plan to freefly.
pull and flare,
lisa
----
I don't think much, therefore I might not be