davethorsen

Psycho packing

I've been psycho-packing for approx 60 jumps now and apart from some funny looks when people hear the name of the pack job have had no serious troubles. A constant theme with my openings however is sluggish end cells on opening, requiring pumping of the brakes to open them. Comments? What do others think of psycho packing??
I am jumping a PD COE-D 190 in a NARO container and have been jumping it from new(approx 90 jumps now). I cloverleaf the slider and stuff the nose quite deep but do not roll it.

I agree. Treat your nose differently (don't bury it as far, or expose it - you'll have to experiment). The Psycho Pack is really misnamed; it's a great way to pack. And, IMHO, a bridle extension isn't really needed if you clear your bridle attachment to the top properly. I suggest you email Beezy Shaw at Precision with your specific question regarding the Psycho Pack: [email protected]
Respectfully,
SP

Vlad,
Who started this silly rumor?
At the 2001 PIA Symposium, Ian Bellis - a Performance Designs representative - stated that Psycho-packing works well with most P.D. canopies. Ian made this statement during a lecture on Psycho-packing given by BZ Shaw from Precision.
Ian cautioned that Psycho-packing does not work well with the latest P.D. canopies that are designed to open slowly at terminal velocity. If you psycho-pack a Vengeance, it will open ridiculously slowly!

a bridle extension isn't really needed if you clear your bridle attachment to the top properly.

Agreed. I did not add anything to my bridle when I was psycho packing my VX-74. As far as the nose goes, I would never stuff it or anything like that when psycho packing. Hell, I didn't even roll mine and it worked great. True, every parachute opens differently, but they way the original poster put it, I believe he just needs to leave the nose straight.
Chuck

Rob,
Go to PD's website>manuals> >how to prevent hard openings and you will read :
"Other methods may not work as well . The "briefcase" pack job and the "roll pack" methods are definitely not recommended. "
This are their words, not mine. What did they mean by "roll pack method"? I suppose, it is what we call "psycho pack".