pyrotech

Gloves?

I started static line this past weekend, and on my second jump, I got quite a bit of canopy time when the wind picked up a bit. It was great fun to play in the canopy for a while, but my hands were FREEZING! My fingers went numb after a few minutes, which wasn't very comfortable. I asked someone at the DZ about gloves, but they didn't have any for sale, nor any extras for students to use. Someone there mentioned using baseball gloves (of course not the "catching a ball" kind [forgive my terminology, I'm not into team sports]).

Now, when I made my second jump, my instructor wanted to see a DRCP. I tried, and failed twice on that jump before my canopy opened. I couldn't find it when I reached back for it. My third jump, I successfully performed a DRCP.

When I talked with someone at the DZ about gloves, they mentioned how I didn't feel my practice ripcord, and said that gloves may make it more difficult to really get to feel where it is located. I can understand that, but would also like to not have my hands go numb while under canopy. Ultimately, it's up to me, since my jumpmaster said he'd let me jump whether I am wearing gloves or not.

Is it worth it to get gloves as a student, or should I really wait until I nail the DRCP on my next 2 jumps and pull my ripcord at least once or twice on the following jumps?

If you do decide to get some, batting gloves (baseball) or receiver's gloves (football) are good options that are commonly available at sporting goods stores. Make sure they have a nice snug fit and have velcro at the wrists to secure them (I learned that one the hard way by trying some gloves that just had elastic at the wrists... they wanted to slide off in freefall).

I did my static line jumps in August, so unfortunately have no experience with cold hands on DRCPs.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I had a thin pair of gloves that I use for biking and running in the fall/spring that I used when I started S/L (back in November up north here, so nice and chilly!) that I wore with plastic latex gloves underneath. Your hands get pretty sweaty and gross inside the gloves and you need to grab a new pair for each jump, but they block the wind really well and because they're so thin I was able to feel and use my handles no problem.

Congratulations on getting into the sport.
Batting gloves are normally quite thin and don't let you lose very much feel.
Where did you make your jumps?
This is the paradox of skydiving. We do something very dangerous, expose ourselves to a totally unnecesary risk, and then spend our time trying to make it safer.

Thanks everyone; I'll start looking around at batting gloves and see which will block the most wind without losing much palpation. I jumped at the Fremont County Airport in CO.

A couple guys at the DZ were wearing what looked like workout gloves from UnderArmor. I'll probably hit up a sporting goods store this weekend and give several pairs of gloves a try.

Hoping to have my own set of goggles before my next jumps in a few weeks as well. Some of the goggles at the DZ fit better than the others, and I couldn't find the ones I'd really liked and put back.

At my DZ in Wisconsin Rugged Wear ( logo is an RW, I think thats right), with a leather sole and latex under that is fairly popular. In the winter I have a pair of spandexy liners and some $10 leather gloves from walgreens. The thing is you want to make sure you are comfortable grabbing the handles on the ground, if you feel okay feeling and grabbing through them, thats your choice. in spring/fall i just wear a medium pair of work gloves.
"Do you really want to take advice from the guy we call Tarmac?"

Mechanic's gloves are nice too. Available at any car parts or "Big Box Home Improvement" store (Lowe's, Home Depot, ect.)
They aren't the warmest available, but they have great "feel" and are nice and "grippy".

If they aren't warm enough, then a pair of "doctor gloves" (either latex or nitrile) underneath will block the wind and keep your hands warm.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Why don't you just use what most jumpers have used for the last 20 years. Neumann Tackified Skydive Gloves
( Winter Style ) $ 38 @ Square One Parachutes. You wear them in the cold season, then switch to no gloves in the warm season.
Life is short ... jump often.

Why don't you just use what most jumpers have used for the last 20 years. Neumann Tackified Skydive Gloves
( Winter Style ) $ 38 @ Square One Parachutes. You wear them in the cold season, then switch to no gloves in the warm season.

I always wear gloves...newmann tackified are not what most knowledgeable jumpers use, they are too expensive for how fast they wear out, and the tacky stuff tacks dirt which is an abrasive... and that gets transferred to your lines, which wears them out faster.

I use a 12.00 pair of Nike batting loves for summer, had the same pair for two years now...and slightly heavier mechanics gloves for winter, I don't see them EVER wearing out! :ph34r:

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Make sure they are thin, and practice your EP's and DRP's on the ground with them on.......

I remember seeing a student show up at the plane one cold day (back in the days of 1 1/2 shot capewells) with a pair of welding gauntlets on....I told him to take them off and I'd replace them with boxing gloves because they'd be warmer.....

He took me seriously for a couple of seconds, then the penny dropped......:D

I had a mate in the airforce who used to score proper flying gloves...they were good (and better still they were free, and when worn out he could swap them for new ones).

My computer beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kickboxing....

Make sure they are thin, and practice your EP's and DRP's on the ground with them on.......

I remember seeing a student show up at the plane one cold day (back in the days of 1 1/2 shot capewells) with a pair of welding gauntlets on....I told him to take them off and I'd replace them with boxing gloves because they'd be warmer.....

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=57479; :):$;)

I always wear gloves...newmann tackified are not what most knowledgeable jumpers use, they are too expensive for how fast they wear out, and the tacky stuff tacks dirt which is an abrasive... and that gets transferred to your lines, which wears them out faster.

I use a 12.00 pair of Nike batting loves for summer, had the same pair for two years now...and slightly heavier mechanics gloves for winter, I don't see them EVER wearing out! :ph34r:
It's funny how Square One only carries two brands of gloves....Their own brand SQ1..for the educated group and Neumann's Tackified for the truely uneducated jumpers that just don't get it. ....I mean...according to you of course.
Life is short ... jump often.

At my DZ in Wisconsin Rugged Wear ( logo is an RW, I think thats right), with a leather sole and latex under that is fairly popular

Better yet, put the latex gloves OVER your regural gloves - that way your palms will not sweat, and instead will create a nice (larger) bubble of warm air around your palms.

What temperature are you talking?

If you are freezing and numb from a static line jump then your DZ is probably really cold. I can jump no gloves down to about -15C at altitude without numbness, so ask how cold it gets at your DZ at altitude as you will be up there real soon!B|

Batting gloves or similar are good up until about -15-20C

Anything colder and windstopper gloves are best, but you pay much more for those.

I have some Roeckl windstopper mountain biking gloves for really cold loads. It was -28C the other day at altitude and my dribble (from blow switch) was literally frozen on my face but my fingers were toasty.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

I made my first static line jump on Feb 27, 1994. The ground temperature was in the low 30's that day, but to tell the truth the adrenaline kept me warm enough that day.

I later experimented with a number of types of gloves and found that batting gloves worked well for me.

A word of warning though, Gloves have been involved in several fatalities over the years including two in January of 1999. My best friend was one of those. His gloved hand was caught in a brake line and he spiraled into the ground. He should have been able to pull the other brake line down to the same level but appeared to have lost consciousness during the spiral.

Just be very careful.

It's funny how Square One only carries two brands of gloves....Their own brand SQ1..for the educated group and Neumann's Tackified for the truely uneducated jumpers that just don't get it. ....I mean...according to you of course

Yup...and they sell 40.00 ProTec's and 400.00 composite helmets.

The 40.00 model actually offers better impact protection but most would rather go with the expensive option for the cool factor.

Even 'truly educated' jumpers buy with their hearts and not their heads. :ph34r:

Buy whatever makes ya feel good it's your money, but my experience shows me tight batting gloves from Walmart cost 1/3 the price and last longer, and grit doesn't stick to them and get transferred to your gear.

Think about it for a minute...SQ1 carries THEIR brand, and an over priced, quick to wear out dirt magnet.

Wonder which they want ya to buy?:o

If they carried 'their' brand AND a cheaper/better type NOT their brand...wouldn't be real good salesmanship would it? ;)

Yippee - I finally as a sub 100 jump wonder get to contribute to a thread where I have expertise. I work at a glove company that sells wholesale $130,000,000.00 worth of gloves annually. The best glove I have used for skydiving is a mechanics type glove. I use fingerless in the summer and full finger with a 'hipora' lining in the fall/winter to keep the cold wind off my fingers. Less than $30.00 at any Home Depot.
For the same reason I jump off a perfectly good diving board.

>but my experience shows me tight batting gloves from Walmart cost 1/3
>the price and last longer,

Home Depot mechanic's gloves work well too. I often end up with Square One tackified gloves just because I tend to destroy gloves at the DZ, and I can get a new pair and still make the next load. (They also have these very convenient pockets for altimeters.)

Yippee - I finally as a sub 100 jump wonder get to contribute to a thread where I have expertise. I work at a glove company that sells wholesale $130,000,000.00 worth of gloves annually. The best glove I have used for skydiving is a mechanics type glove. I use fingerless in the summer and full finger with a 'hipora' lining in the fall/winter to keep the cold wind off my fingers. Less than $30.00 at any Home Depot.

Can you post a link to BOTH of these models?

Please do.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Since we aren't in winter glove season, the winter gloves woud have to be purchased online from an industrial supply company. The 96650 gives enough dexterity to handle most situations in sub zero temperatures. Some companies that sell the 96650 are:

http://www.industrialfirstaidsystems.com/products/Waterproof-Winter-with-PVC-Grip-96650-%28-PAIR-%29.html
http://www.toughweld.com/westchester/safety-gear/gloves
http://www.thefind.com/sports/info-pro-series-fleece

For normal use above 0 degrees, I would recommend getting any high dexterity fingerless mechanics gloves. The first link above has the pair I wear - model 86700. They are called 'carpenter's gloves' because the index finger, middle finger, and thumb aren't covered. This allows carpenters to handle nails and Skydivers to handle RSL's. By far the best bang for the buck if you aren't skydiving in subzero temperatures:
http://www.industrialfirstaidsystems.com/products/Carpenter-3x2%E2%84%A2-with-Open-Fingers-86700-%28Pair%29.html
For the same reason I jump off a perfectly good diving board.