climber71

Cutaway

Hey man,

good to hear you did go on with the most awesome sport in the world:P
I have a little tip regarding your EP's; we teach students a decision altitude, 2.000ft. When they don't have a 'land-able' parachute at 2k, chop it. It's quite simple but it's a very useful tool to know whether or not you have time to deal with a mal.
Why 2.000ft? Because you have plenty of time to execute your ep's and land your reserve at a proper location:)
blue skies!

danielskydiver, the DZ where I go uses the decision point on EP's at 2,500 feet AGL.

Good stuff.

From the SIM 5-1 E,4:

You should decide upon and take the appropriate actions by a predetermined altitude:

a. Students and A-license holders: 2,500 feet.

b. B-D license holders: 1,800 feet.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

But if they are a USPA DZ, the students have to wear an altimeter correct (and it can't be waived)?

And you would be absolutely correct. From the SIM 2-1 k,2,C

2. All students are to be equipped with the following equipment until they have obtained a USPA A license:

a. a rigid helmet (except tandem students) [NW]

b. a piggyback harness and container system that includes a single-pointriser release and a reserve static line, except: [FB]

(1) A student who has been cleared for freefall self-supervision may jump without a reserve static line upon endorsement from his or her supervising instructor.

(2) Such endorsement may be for one jump or a series of jumps.

c. a visually accessible altimeter (except tandem students) [NW]

d. a functional automatic activation device that meets the manufacturer'srecommended service schedule [FB]

e. a ram-air main canopy suitable for student use [FB]

f. a steerable reserve canopy appropriate to the student's weight[FB]

g. for freefall, a ripcord-activated, spring-loaded, pilot-chute-equipped main parachute or a bottom-of-container (BOC) throw-out pilot chute [FB]

danielskydiver, the DZ where I go uses the decision point on EP's at 2,500 feet AGL.

Go with 2.5 indeed, follow what was teached you. I assumed they didn't teach an altitude at all, so that's why I mentioned 2k.

Don't take EP advice from someone with 150 jumps! 2000ft is a bit low to train students at. If a student waits till 2k and then decides to chop they're probably going to be cutaway low.

Yeah I know I don't have tons of jumps and i'm certainly not a skygod:P but it's just the way we teach the students to do. Whether it's high enough or not is a second discussion. But I agree, extra altitude is never a bad thing.

Yeah I know I don't have tons of jumps and i'm certainly not a skygod:P but it's just the way we teach the students to do. Whether it's high enough or not is a second discussion. But I agree, extra altitude is never a bad thing.

So you guys choose to disregard USPA recommendations for that? It just may happen that you will be explaining why you didn't follow industry standard training recommendations in front of judge/jury.

I just don't understand taking that 500ft cushion away from students.