mindcool

PDF - Atom Legend

Any1 tried the new PDF Atom Legend ? is it really THAT good?
how does it feels like compering to another Containers?
containers like Javelin, odyssey, wings and others ?
does it looks smaller then the other containers at the same size of canopy in it?
Blue Skies
Dan Mordechay
A-37509

Don't know about any of the PDF containers as far as fit goes...but I went to a dz in NZ that swore by them. I think there was probably 3 javelins in the whole place...but there were racks of PDF rigs. I am sure in France they are pretty popular too.
Any rig should be jumped to get a feel for it...and everyone is going to be different. So, try to demo one and see.
I am trying to get my hands on a Voodoo to see if I want that or an Odyssey.
Kahurangi e Mahearangi,
Pyke:P
NZPF A - 2584

I've seen the Atoms in Empuriabrava, and for my taste, they look just fine.One nice thing I've noticed :A jumper I was talking to,said that the Atom with an Electra 190 in it, looked much smaller and neat that his rig which was built for a 170.
Don't pull low, unless you are afraid of heights!
Tefkros

Just in case there's some confusion here - the original Atom is a pretty good rig, but suffers the Javelin-style down-pointing main flap.
However, the Legend relaces this with a vector III / Mirage style up-pointing flap.
Haven't seen one in the flesh (or parapack), but it looks very good in the pictures.
If they've got it right this should be very freefly friendly and be a kick-ass rig, and very good value for money in the UK, with the higher $ now.
Geoff

I hadn't read that about the midflap, but it's a good idea. We all know that pretty much any rig you buy nowadays is plenty safe for most forms of skydiving. It all comes down to what appeals to you aesthetically and peer pressure, pure and simple. Most every container I can buy in the states can be had for about the same price, so then it just comes down to your own preference.
Chuck

Just looking at the picture of one - the main flap definitely comes up from under the other flaps. It's not quite clear how it then tucks back in (upwards or back downwards again. It certainly looks more like a Vector II or Mirage design than a Javelin or Talon.
Geoff

I've jumped them, and they are as good as any other of the cheaper rigs out there.
One thing that does concern me is that there was a recent thread on uk.rec.skydiving saying that several people have been waiting on extremely long waiting lists which was making people nervous about the stability of PDF.
The other wierd thing about them is that they have inverted 3-ring circus. This is where the risers are over the circus so that you only see the largest of the rings. I am told that this makes it more difficult to cut away when spinning on your back - that you have to push the rings up - eeek!
As for the look, the reason they look smaller is because the main and reserve are packed like cubes, rather than the vector's method of a triangle for the reserve and a cube for the main which makes it look pear shaped. However, if you have broad shoulders, the Vector looks awsome becuase it is only 10" across at the top below the 350M! It doesn't get any smaller, even with the Micron.
Rob

Look at the write up on the three ring design on Relative Workshops web site. The inverted design has major pluses but they are at a tradeoff for some of the benefits of the regular 3 ring design. BTW... since the patent on the three ring is up soon lots of companies will be able to sell knock offs of it. If your risers dont come from a known reputable source make sure that a master or senior rigger takes a look at them. RW had a siminar not too long ago showing what happens if inferior materials are used in the rings. After x number of jumps the rings would start to warp and become week.They showed photos of rings not being able to pass through each other and where rings had actually started to open up... Pretty scary stuff!!! Just even more food for thought!
Whoa... That was cool!

Reversed 3-rings were invented by Parachutes de France back in the early 1990s. They were one possible answer to the problem of broken mini risers. The problem started with canopy manufacturers introducing Spectra line, 0-P fabric, high wing loadings and Tube Stows all at the same time. That combination was woefully intolerant of sloppy packing. Since then we have gotten neater with packing and newer canopy designs open softer.
Harness manufacturers responded by adding Type 3 reinforcing tapes to the bottom end of mini risers to solve the strength issue.
I am still jumping reversed risers. I will continue to jump reversed risers until my current pair wear out, or I a read an incident report of them jamming. Please don't clutter up this web site with third hand rumors.
In conclusion, reversed 3-Rings are a solution to a problem that has largely disappeared.