SEREJumper

So what do you see in this video?

Last I've checked when someone does that they flip over from the pilot pulling up. For some reason this guy's didn't...

When did you check on that? Either way, a throw out PC has the handle mounted to the apex of the PC, so if you hold the handle, the PC will trail, apex-first, in the wind and not inflate. No inflation = very little drag to pull the jumper up and over.

A pull out PC is set up the other way, the handle is mounted to the base of the PC. When you hold the handle and put the PC in the wind, it will inflate and the handle will get yanked out of your hand.

The last thing you want to do with a pull out is attempt to hang onto the handle. First off, if your PC is out, your container is open on a pull out, so if you did try to hang onto the PC and went ustable, you would be unstable with an open container. This is why the handle is on the base of the PC, so you really can't hang onto it due to the drag of the PC.

Not all Pull Outs have the handle at the base of the pilotchute, mine has it on the Apex of it, so when I pull I can get a full arm extension before releasing it. and not get it inflated as soon as it sees air.

Container: Mirage.

Felipe
--
Blue Skies
NO FEARS, NO LIMITS, NO MONEY...
"A Subitánea et Improvísa Morte, Líbera nos, Domine."

Your mistaken about the pull out , it can be mounted so the pilot chute comes out upside down and may be held on to .
I have several jumps on this system and 7000 + on a regular pull out , not the best way to use a pull out as a total is EASY to pack into it if you dont know what your doing :-)))

A pull out PC is set up the other way, the handle is mounted to the base of the PC. When you hold the handle and put the PC in the wind, it will inflate and the handle will get yanked out of your hand.

Most, but not all pull outs are set this way. Please check Next manual page 25 picture 38.

http://www.paratec.de/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/2010-02-24-NEXT-Sport-Owners-manual-issue-02-2010_email.pdf
"My belief is that once the doctor whacks you on the butt, all guarantees are off" Jerry Baumchen

Most, but not all pull outs are set this way. Please check Next manual page 25 picture 38.

http://www.paratec.de/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/2010-02-24-NEXT-Sport-Owners-manual-issue-02-2010_email.pdf

I love the way they say their style of pull out has less pack volume the other kind. They have got to be kidding. Any volume difference would have to be measured in sq. millimeters.

Pack volume is greatly reduced, since it gets by with just one piece of tape unlike the more complex construction of a base Pull-Out-System requiring T4 tapes and grommets.

I have always thought that a pull out just adds one more layer of complexity and one more thing to get wrong.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Most, but not all pull outs are set this way.

I'm not sure why they think that would be in improvement over a handle attached to the base of the PC. The idea behind attaching it at the base of the PC is that by the time the PC is in the airstream, the pin has been pulled and the container is open. At this point, the last thing you want to do is hang on to your PC, so mounting it at the base makes it very tough to hang onto the thing.

So they reduced the pack volume by a tiny bit, but made it possible to hang onto your PC while your container is open. Seems like a trade-off to me, and a shitty one at that.

Most, but not all pull outs are set this way.

I'm not sure why they think that would be in improvement over a handle attached to the base of the PC. The idea behind attaching it at the base of the PC is that by the time the PC is in the airstream, the pin has been pulled and the container is open. At this point, the last thing you want to do is hang on to your PC, so mounting it at the base makes it very tough to hang onto the thing.

I'm sure that if you drop them an e-mail, Stefan or Jupp will answer your questions.
The only reason I could think of why this pull out is set this way is to keep it as close as possible to the throw out as a feeling. By the time you get the pin out, the PC will be already half way out....then again, the best answer will come from Paratec.
The real pull out might be problematic for someone with short hands or a cameraman with big wings.

So they reduced the pack volume by a tiny bit, but made it possible to hang onto your PC while your container is open. Seems like a trade-off to me, and a shitty one at that.

If you hold on to your PC on a throw out system, the chance that your container will be open as well is close to 100% , so I don't see the problem here. But I might be wrong that the chance is that big.
"My belief is that once the doctor whacks you on the butt, all guarantees are off" Jerry Baumchen

If you hold on to your PC on a throw out system, the chance that your container will be open as well is close to 100% , so I don't see the problem here. But I might be wrong that the chance is that big.

The chance is way lower than 100%. All of the times I've seen someone hang onto a PC were students, and none of them had their container open before they finally released the PC.

I think it all comes down to how you pack your PC and bridle. If the bridle is allowed to unfurl the moment the PC is out of the pouch, it probably won't pull your pin when you get your PC to full arms extension. If your bridle is packed in such a way that it does not easily slip out of the PC, then you will probably pull your pin as you bring your arm forward.

The real pull out might be problematic for someone with short hands or a cameraman with big wings.

Which would be a reason not to jump a pull out. Re-engineering the pull out to allow for hanging onto the PC with an open container does not seem like the answer.

USPA SIM:

G. Minimum opening altitudes [E]

Minimum container opening altitudes above the ground for skydivers are:

1. Tandem jumps—4,500 feet AGL

2. All students and A-license holders—3,000 feet AGL

3. B-license holders—2,500 feet AGL

4. C- and D-license holders—2,000 feet AGL

Looks to me like his container is open. What's the problem? :)

"Even in a world where perfection is unattainable, there's still a difference between excellence and mediocrity." Gary73

I remember explicitly writing "on the apex of pilot chute" I don't know if they offer it at the bottom

Do you mean the Mirage pull-out PC has the handle attached to the apex of the PC? The last pull out I jumped was a Mirage, and the lanyard was attached to the bottom of the PC.

Again, for operational reasons I think they attach it to the bottom, I would be surprised if you could order it attached to the apex.

*** I would be surprised if you could order it attached to the apex.***

It was something my rigger wrote in the order form, the option is not there, it just says "pull out".

A few of my friend had them like that, back in those days 2000 pahokee.

I heard of a case where the bridle was packed sawndwiched between the bottom of the reserve tray and the Dbag, and didn't want to come out and play resulting on some kind of malfunction...I don't remember details.

Felipe
--
Blue Skies
NO FEARS, NO LIMITS, NO MONEY...
"A Subitánea et Improvísa Morte, Líbera nos, Domine."