SEREJumper

So what do you see in this video?

Awesome handcam potato chipping...Check

Holding on to your PC for 4+ seconds...Check

Causing your container to come open while holding you PC...Check

Either not stowing you brake properly, or having a brake release on opening...Check

But it's a HALO!
We're not fucking flying airplanes are we, no we're flying a glorified kite with no power and it should be flown like one! - Stratostar

Either not stowing you brake properly, or having a brake release on opening...Check

The brake was stowed. You can see that the cats eye is still in the vicinity of the guide ring, and that would not be down there if the canopy was packed with the brake unstowed.

That said, look at the other side, there's a considerable loop of excess brake line, and it's been left to swing free in the breeze. I would call that a mistake.

Hanging on the PC defies explanation. How or why the jumper could have thought this was a good idea in any respect is beyond me. I'm willing to accept that he was unaware that his container was opened when he pulled the PC, but that still leaves he problem of the bridle blowing around in the wind the whole time he's holding the PC.

Have a look down below his cutaway handle. The text below the video reveals that for some reason he's wearing some sort of WWII uniform for the jump. and you can clearly see that the shirt has worked it's way out from under the pants and harness, and is on it's way toward coming out and blowing up over his cutaway handle. Combine that with the O2 bottle and hose, and the sloppy packing/brake setting, and you have one hell of a HALO jump on your hands.

Awesome handcam potato chipping...Check

Holding on to your PC for 4+ seconds...Check

Causing your container to come open while holding you PC...Check

But it's a HALO!

Don't forget the whole VFR cloud clearance requirements.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Hanging on the PC defies explanation. How or why the jumper could have thought this was a good idea in any respect is beyond me. I'm willing to accept that he was unaware that his container was opened when he pulled the PC, but that still leaves he problem of the bridle blowing around in the wind the whole time he's holding the PC.

I think there is a very good chance that he didn't realize he was holding on to the PC. Thick enough gloves, hackey between fingers... it would be easy to think you threw it when you're still holding it.

ETA: Picture attached.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

I think there is a very good chance that he didn't realize he was holding on to the PC.

It does sort of look like that. Still, ya gotta be a bit clueless and/or have a crappy toss technique and/or be hypoxic for that.

My first impression was that it looks like he hadn't jumped since about 1978... pull out that newfangled pilot chute and wave off with it...

I think there is a very good chance that he didn't realize he was holding on to the PC. Thick enough gloves, hackey between fingers... it would be easy to think you threw it when you're still holding it.

I'm going to disagree with that idea. If you look, his hand is clearly clenched in a fist holding the PC and then is intentionally released when the PC departs. There is no head movement in concert with that action, to show that he might have seen his PC was still in his hand. It looks to me like he held it until he was going into the cloud (for some odd reason).

I'd like to add another 'squawk' to the video review, that being what appears to be loose excess legstrap blowing around in between his legs. Nothing but more sloppy airmanship on his part. On the upside, he managed to make sure his camera was turned on.

Someone mentioned the cloud bust, but I'm willing to give him a pass on that. The layer is fairly broken as seen in the video, and if he hit a 'cloud' instead of a 'break' from 29k ft, that's an honest mistake.

He's using a pull-out, not a throw out. You see that in SEREJumper's picture above. Hence, he knows when the container opens.

AFAIK, techniques for pull-out and throw-out are a little different if only for the reason of making sure the pin actually gets pulled. I agree maybe not to the length of time that this jumper shows.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

He's using a pull-out, not a throw out

No sir. If that was a pull-out, he would be holding a pud with the PC trailing behind the pud at the end of a lanyard. Also, all of the pull outs I have jumped have the PC attached to the bridle at the base, not the apex, so once the PC is in the wind it inflates and pulls the pud right out of your hand.

He's holding onto a handle attached directly to the apex of the PC, just like a throw out. This explains why he is even able to trail it for so long without the PC inflating and being pulled out of his hand.

He's using a pull-out, not a throw out. You see that in SEREJumper's picture above. Hence, he knows when the container opens.

AFAIK, techniques for pull-out and throw-out are a little different if only for the reason of making sure the pin actually gets pulled. I agree maybe not to the length of time that this jumper shows.

Pop, look at this picture closely, you can see the curved pin.

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=135750;

His O2 mask doesn’t fit. It is riding up over his shin.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals