pchapman

change in avatar with the new forum template?

This is pretty nitpicky, but with the forum template upgrade in early May 2013, my avatar photo went a bit "fuzzy".

I'm trying to figure out if there was a change in the preferred pixel size, aspect ratio, or something.

Not sure if the photo was somehow resampled or just stretched slightly in the horizontal axis.

Any word on what changed? Or should I just try uploading the same photo again, as I did long ago?

pchapman

This is pretty nitpicky, but with the forum template upgrade in early May 2013, my avatar photo went a bit "fuzzy".

I'm trying to figure out if there was a change in the preferred pixel size, aspect ratio, or something.

Not sure if the photo was somehow resampled or just stretched slightly in the horizontal axis.

Any word on what changed? Or should I just try uploading the same photo again, as I did long ago?

There was a *slight* change in the photo scripts, but I didn't think they re-sized them. (though yours does look like it may have been) I'm sure Meso can confirm what changed though.

Also, something else worth noting, you have a profile picture, but it doesn't show up in your profile. (though I know why that is and so does Meso, as it's probably the same issue we ran into earlier that he fixed).

I believe this issue will only happen to people who have uploaded their profile pictures (as you say) 'long ago'. It would stand to reason that uploading it again would make it look better, but at the same time, won't fix the global issue, just yours.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

theonlyski is correct with most of his above post.

We did change the size of the avatars on the forum area however, we made them just a tiny bit larger - which doesn't distort the image usually unless it was uploaded via the old system, and uses an entirely different file directory on our server.

While we have done what we can to make it so that one's images be brought over onto the new profile. We do recommend that some of the older users re-do their profile pictures, while it's entirely up to that user - it can just make their profiles look better and solve the distortion problem caused on older images in forum avatars.

I looked at the old template quick and see that your profile picture never worked on your profile there either, so reuploading a decent image (300x300px or more) would make the profile a bit nicer and should fix the distortion problem :)

I got my new profile picture upload to work.

The photo I had was 'skinny' vertically so it would have been cropped and look ugly. I was able to do an edit at home, adding the skinny photo to a square canvas with transparency, so that when uploaded no cropping is necessary (as the overall photo is basically square), while the real image is still visible as a tall skinny image, with no black bars or anything like that at the sides.

Creating an icon image editor for the site would get into another level of complexity & programming time, so I can't fault you for that!

All ok for me now.