unkulunkulu

Something weird is happening with new unread posts lately

The thread icon is partly amber as if there are new messages in the thread. When clicked, it shows the first post in the thread and the new messages are not marked with a red "NEW" text even if the thread consists of a single page. However there are actually new messages (one can tell by the date/time of the post).

It started recently (less than a week probably, although can't tell for sure). It is reproduced somewhat randomly, around 50/50 chance of correct/incorrect work.

Browser is FF 18.0.1 (oh god), TZ is GMT+4 should it matter :)

Anyone can confirm this?

I'm seeing it too. Usually it scrolls to the first unread post, and that post has a "new" marking next to it. Now it just opens at the beginning of the thread, and if I scroll to the end, the new posts do not have the marking.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Is it happening on all sections of the forums or particular ones? When you view this post, is there a 'NEW' above this post? I see the 'new' alert on your post. Just trying to establish where the issue lies.

No, I did not see the 'NEW' on this post. I've seen the issue happen in multiple forums, though I just did a quick experiment and clicked on many unread threads in the bonfire, and for every one I got the 'NEW' indicator. Then I went to general skydiving and clicked on several unread threads, and did not get the indicator for any of them. Same for this forum here, which would explain my first sentence in this post.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

I just came into this forum to alert you; glad I'm not the only one.

So far tonight, I've noticed it in Women's, Events and General. It does seem to be working in Bonfire.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Also, the day after I made my last post, I tried all the same stuff again and there were no problems. I wasn't sure if the bug had been fixed already, or if this was just another fluke which will make it harder to identify. Sounds like the latter. [:/]

www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Just experienced it on this thread: http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=4448224;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread

I never viewed it before now, and it's not saying NEW on any of the posts.

Same here: http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=4447769;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Also, when you open a thread in the forums where this is happening, it doesn't bring you to the bottom where the new posts are, it just stays at the top. It happened when I opened this thread.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Hello, Sir.

2 things I noticed today:

1. Threads that I've already read-thru still have the shaded icon (when viewing the thread list) indicating I hadn't read them yet.

2. I just replied to Person X's post. Then I got an e-mail notification saying that Person X had just replied to one of my posts. When I clicked on the link in the e-mail, it took me to the post of Person X that I'd just replied to - but Person X had not replied to any post of mine in that thread.

I just came into this forum to alert you; glad I'm not the only one.

So far tonight, I've noticed it in Women's, Events and General.

Safety and Training too.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

While the issue is still there somehow, I've just run into its evil twin:
In General Discussions I came upon a thread I had never seen before: "Turbulence question", the icon to the left confirmed it: two sheets of amber color, so all the messages should've been unread, but when I pressed the link it led to
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=4461911;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread

and it showed page 2, full of unread messages, but still, it had to be page 1.

Entering this site is hard work, actually - at first it takes centuries until all ads are established, and after clicking on "NEW", I end up on first page and have to scroll down to the new post. Trying to enter "Stammtisch" is killing me >:( - it takes the longest time.

French ads, German ads - how many does it need? :S

dudeist skydiver # 3105

While we had someone take a look at the new post problem, they weren't able to replicate it to solve it, I will get back in touch with them to get it sorted.

With regards to the ads, unfortunately that sounds like those ads are not something we serve, but rather google ads. If you can give me screenshots of the ads that take extended time to load we can look into it, but I suspect it may be a google ad.

I'll give you a hint:

[22:41:01.373] The page was reloaded, because the character encoding declaration of the HTML document was not found when prescanning the first 1024 bytes of the file. The encoding declaration needs to be moved to be within the first 1024 bytes of the file. @ http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=4452905;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread:50

That explains why the page is showing no posts with the NEW indicator, because it's been reloaded.

;)

ETA:
Ahh what the hell, I'm in a giving mood:

In your gforum.cgi file, you'll probably see this line inside the tags:

Immediately above it is probably some javascript crap.

I would move that meta tag line to just under the line. <br><br>EETA: This probably has something to do with the embedded images function, but I think moving the meta line up to just under the title (or even above it) would alleviate this situation.<br><div class="signature">"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly <br>DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890 <br>I'm an asshole, and I approve this message</div>

Firefox web debug tool. ;)

Looks like Meso got it fixed, anyone else still having this issue?

"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly

So far tonight, I've noticed it in Women's, Events and General. It does seem to be working in Bonfire.

Oddly enough, that makes plenty of sense. :)