cocheese

Have hooded sweatshirts ever caused a malfunction or incident?

Great! Keep testing if hoodies can cause any issues. I look forward to you results!

How many jumps, over how many years by how many individual jumpers does it take to complete the 'testing'? At what point can we sign them off as 'good to go'?
5 years? 10? 15?
10,000 jumps, 20,000 jumps, 50,000 jumps?
1000 jumpers? 2000 jumpers? 3000 jumpers?

I would suggest that we've reached (or exceeded) the all of those numbers without incident.

Here's a fun thought - how many test jumps do you think they put on the Skyhook system before they released it? More or less than the total number of trouble-free jumps with hoodies? That's a freaking HOOK in your reserve container, no less.

You're not the king of skydiving and not everyone gives a shit what you think.

I'm sure that's true, but is doesn't address the issue of when the 'test phase' for hoodies will be over.

If you don't like what I have to say, don't read my posts. If you don't want me to reply to your posts, don't post anything stupid, and I'll have nothing to comment on.

Again posting to no one in particular.

A stash bag draw string just killed a base jumper. First time ever. And we jump them all the time.

Carry on and TAKE IT DEEEEEP!!

:(Sorry to hear that. Some lessons are learned at great cost.

Do you have a reference to the incident write-up?

JW
Always remember that some clouds are harder than others...

Again posting to no one in particular.

A stash bag draw string just killed a base jumper. First time ever. And we jump them all the time.

Carry on and TAKE IT DEEEEEP!!

So are all base jumpers going to stop doing it now?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

So are all base jumpers going to stop doing it now?

Are you suggesting that there's nothing for them to worry about with stash bags, and that they should continue to carry them without concern?

Are you suggesting that there's nothing for them to worry about with stash bags, and that they should continue to carry them without concern?

I will say it:

If you have a logically placed stashbag pocket on your backpad (i.e. opening to your left side, far away from your PC, reverse if applicable for lefthand BOCs) and you fold/stow your stashbag in there properly, then you have nothing to worry about.

To add experience to this, given your lack of profile info I feel somewhat confident assuming I have more BASE jumps than you have skydives, so while I see the effect of your fingers flapping on your keyboard, I tend to afford it little in the way of credibility, as I do with most blank profiles.

To get back on hoodie topic, if you watched that video that was linked, you might realize that the reserve container usually has one or more topflaps that do a really good job of keeping evil hoodies away from your reserve system.

Is there ANY part of your gear that you believe is incapable of causing problems?

Seems like "Risk assessment" is an alien concept to some people in this thread. Its always possible anything you jump with could cause a problem under the right(wrong) circumstances, but if no one can point to a single incident of a hooded sweatshirt causing a problem, the risk associated with jumping with one is very low.

If you are really bored (or care enough to really find out how probable it is) why don't you TRY to induce one and see exactly how hard it is to INTENTIONALLY create a problem.

Is there ANY part of your gear that you believe is incapable of causing problems?

No. But most of it is essential to have, so you have to accept the risk that comes with it. Hoodies are not essential, so you do not have to accept that risk.

Booties aren't essential.
Grippers aren't essential.
Wingsuits aren't essential.
Cameras aren't essential.
Audible altimeters aren't essential.
Gloves aren't essential.
etc.

You are making a silly argument.

No. But most of it is essential to have, so you have to accept the risk that comes with it. Hoodies are not essential, so you do not have to accept that risk.

Tell that to a 4 way team.
Tell that to anyone doing RW.
They are if you want to do a wingsuit jump?
Unless you want video/stills?
Hmmm? Ok.
Gloves aren't essential.
Come jump next month in Minnesota.

B|B|B|B|B|B|B|B|

Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

>Booties aren't essential.

Booties aren't essential in skydiving, and they pose more risk (more snag hazard.) But they are useful and are often used by 4 way teams to improve their scores. If 4-way teams all wore booties, but all tucked them out of the way before skydiving, then their use would be a lot more questionable - more risk for no improvement.

>Grippers aren't essential.

Grippers aren't essential in skydiving, and they pose more risk (more snag hazard.) But they are useful and are often used by 4 way teams to be able to do 4-way, and by bigways to help them to succeed. If RW people all used grippers, but tucked them out of the way before skydiving, then their use would be a lot more questionable - more risk for no improvement.

>Wingsuits aren't essential.

Wingsuits aren't essential in skydiving, and they pose a lot more risk (handle accessibility, collision hazards, restriction of motion etc.) But they are useful to people who want to do horizontal dives, and wingsuits help them do this. If wingsuiters all used wingsuits, but took them off and tied them around their waists before exiting, then their use would be a lot more questionable - more risk for no improvement.

That being said, if you want to jump with a hoodie (or a lot of jewelry, or very long unrestrained hair) go for it. It's more risk, but everyone can decide what level of risk they want to take for themselves.

Tell that to a 4 way team.
Tell that to anyone doing RW.
They are if you want to do a wingsuit jump?
Unless you want video/stills?
Hmmm? Ok.
Gloves aren't essential.
Come jump next month in Minnesota.

B|B|B|B|B|B|B|B|

Nope. You can skydive without any item on that list. They just make things easier, more comfortable or more convenient. If booties and grippers were banned from 4 way, it would just revert to how it was in the olden days.:P:P:P:P:P:P:P

>Nope. You can skydive without any item on that list.

Sure you can. But they all _help_ you skydive. The hood of a sweatshirt doesn't - which is why people have all sorts of tricks they use to hide it away when they jump.

But if it's important to you, then jump with it. Your choice.

Sure you can. .

As I said. Thank you.

You're conveniently ignoring the difference between those items and hoodies: those items all provide benefits to the skydive, while a hoodie does not.

What benefit does a hoodie provide to your skydive? Does it make you track further? Does it give you fall rate control? Does it make your canopy open better? What?

Sure you can. .

As I said. Thank you.

You're conveniently ignoring the difference between those items and hoodies: those items all provide benefits to the skydive, while a hoodie does not.

What benefit does a hoodie provide to your skydive? Does it make you track further? Does it give you fall rate control? Does it make your canopy open better? What?

Funny you should ask. It was much colder than expected today. So in freefall I pulled the hood on and tightened the strings to stop my head from burning. So after the first 2 jumps I started using the balaclava. Well it turns out its stretched out. How did I remedy this you may ask? Well I put the hood on first then the balaclava, and it kept my head nice and toasty so I could finish doing tandems today.

So yes a hoodie can be useful to somebody in freefall. Before you ask no I won't wear a hard helmet doing tandems. Why? 1. I struggle to hear my students when my helmet is on. 2. I have a metal gopro mount on the front, which could cause some serious damage to the back of the head of my student.

What benefit does a hoodie provide to your skydive?

Why wear a hoodie ? Well, it annoys those conservative dinosaurs who think wearing a hoodie is dangerous. Thats a big plus.

:ph34r:

Yeah...that and it'll keep you head warm in the impact crater while you wait for the meat wagon! :P

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

What benefit does a hoodie provide to your skydive?

Why wear a hoodie ? Well, it annoys those conservative dinosaurs who think wearing a hoodie is dangerous. Thats a big plus.

:ph34r:

Yeah...that and it'll keep you head warm in the impact crater while you wait for the meat wagon! :P

Well, given that you've been skydiving since before Tiny Broadwick, please tell us how many craters have been caused in all that time on account of people wearing hoodies.

Another excellent reason to add risk to your skydive!

I wonder if you guys realize that by trying to defend the practice, you're actually helping to make it look like a bad idea.

please tell us how many craters have been caused in all that time on account of people wearing hoodies.

"It's never happened before that we know of, therefore nothing can possibly go wrong and it's perfectly safe."

And this logic comes from a college professor? Do you teach your engineering students this kind of mindset?