cocheese

Have hooded sweatshirts ever caused a malfunction or incident?

I had an incident directly caused by a hooded sweatshirt once!

I loaned mine to an EXTREME hottie one chilly night at the DZ...her boyfriend showed up to return it the next day sporting rather aggressively unpleasant disposition.
A wuffo unfamilar with Skydiving protocal regarding such matters, I offered to hammer it out for him.

She told me over a romantic dinner the following weekend that her EX-boyfriend was 'wound too tight' and that the obvious malfunction caused her to initiate a cut-way procedure!

I conscientiously did a complete & thorough inspection of her hardware and performed several system checks... in the interest of safety ONLY of course. :$

So I do indeed concur ~ Use of hoodies does have the potential of creating unforeseen situations in the skydiving enviroment that require quick & decisive action!! :)

Priceless.
Sincerely, Daniel (not as fat as he thinks he is) Adams
http://www.skyjump.com
http://www.vimeo.com/dandaninc
http://www.youtube.com/dandaninc

Bottom line: If it provides no benefit to the jump, and isn't necessary to have, then there's no point in adding the risk, however small that might be.

Quite the sweeping statement you have there.

I wish you had some profile info, because if you have any significant number of skydives and you are flying something smaller and less docile/forgiving than modern student canopies (Navigator, Solo, etc) at about a 0.75 - 1.0 wingloading, you are adding risk for no real benefit.

While I agree with your statement if safety was your number one priority, I will paraphrase it a bit to make my point:

Bottom line: If it provides no benefit to jump, and it isn't necessary to jump, then there's no point in adding the risk, however small that might be.

So if you are doing any skydive following a non-emergency exit, you are adding unnecessary risk.

You might however be benefiting from that choice to jump with any of the following:
-money
-fun
-personal development
-relaxation
-skill development

People who add hoodies to their skydive are gaining the possible benefits of:
-comfort
-style
-less dressing/undressing
-no strutting around in a smelly nylon suit all day long

So while the benefits you could gain from jumping seem a little more important, you are still risking your life for what are essentially unimportant things.

So your position on hoodies and your sweeping statement is just your line in the sand.

The key to realize is that the hoodie wearers have a line in the sand too and criticizing their line from behind your line makes me think of that parable involving removing a log from one's own eye before helping your neighbour with the splinter in theirs...

That said, I do not actually know anything about your choices in skydiving, so please accept my sincere apology if you are jumping because you have no choice or if you are indeed sticking to student appropriate canopies your whole skydiving career.

sincerely
Sam

>People who add hoodies to their skydive are gaining the possible benefits of:
>-comfort
>-style
>-less dressing/undressing
>-no strutting around in a smelly nylon suit all day long

I don't get most of these. A regular sweatshirt is just as comfortable and won't whack the back of your head in freefall (which is definitely _less_ comfortable.) It's easy to unzip and peel off a jumpsuit to the waist; harder for a sweatshirt. (and they definitely get smellier faster, especially if it's hot out and you're wearing a sweatshirt.)

There's a fifth reason I could add to the above list, which is fallrate control. Sweatshirts work well for this, but again a non-hooded sweatshirt works a lot better.

That brings us to style, which I could see if such things were important to you - and if it floated your boat to not have to change your clothes to go skydiving. To each their own.

There's a fifth reason I could add to the above list, which is fallrate control. Sweatshirts work well for this, but again a non-hooded sweatshirt works a lot better.

So a non hooded sweatshirt will actually slow me down better than a hooded one?
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

-comfort
-style

Ah yes, being stylish and lazy are excellent reasons for adding risk to your skydives! (sarcasm)

-comfort
-style

Ah yes, being stylish and lazy are excellent reasons for adding risk to your skydives! (sarcasm)

Has it been established that any skydiving injury or fatality has ever been attributed to a hoodie?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I don't get most of these. A regular sweatshirt is just as comfortable and won't whack the back of your head in freefall (which is definitely _less_ comfortable.)

Never had my hood whacking me in the back of the head, unless I was back flying (which is just after the ride through on an AFF to see their canopy).

I would not jump with a hoodie because I seem to have all sorts of unusual things happen, and I don't want to be the first to find out there is a problem from jumping with hoodies. I have non-hooded sweatshirts for when people force me to jump when it's too cold.
I would not jump with a ring because of the very real possibility of a degloving incident, which has happened several times.
I would not jump with a necklace of any kind, I haven't heard of an incident involving a necklace yet, and I don't want to be the first for that either.
I would not jump with a full face helmet due to the sight restrictions/fogging issues. It would be nice for jumping in the rain, bu I know a few people that have had problems. Including the guy that almost went in because his visor froze over and he couldn't open it because of his GoPro.
I always jump with gloves. My landings aren't that great, and doing a dozen jumps a day on weekends is rough on the fingers.
I think I've only made 3 jumps without a camera helmet in the last 1,300+ jumps. Camera's are a risk I love to take.
"If it wasn't easy stupid people couldn't do it", Duane.

My momma said I could be anything I wanted when I grew up, so I became an a$$hole.

Has it been established that any skydiving injury or fatality has ever been attributed to a hoodie?

At one time people like you said the same thing about rigid wingsuits, snaggy camera mounts, outward protruding ripcord handles, solid cone pin closures, boot lace hooks, non-tapered container flaps, flap stiffeners, anti-wind blast handles, kevlar lines, free-packing without a deployment bag, no riser covers, belly-mounted pilot chutes, capewell riser releases and other things that at the time they could not imagine possibly causing problems. But they all eventually did.

If it's unnecessary and serves no beneficial purpose, then why risk it?

But go right ahead and wear a hoodie if you want. Maybe you'll be lucky and nothing bad will happen. But that won't prove that something bad cannot happen. Then again, maybe you'll be the first to die from a hoodie/reserve pilot chute bridle entanglement.

Hey, maybe you could also jump with a machete as a hook knife. I've never heard of anyone dying from having a machete on their gear, so I'm sure it's perfectly safe.

Good luck with it!

I think the point was it'll slow you down AS WELL as the hooded version without the added risk? :o
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

I think the point was it'll slow you down AS WELL as the hooded version without the added risk? :o

That's not what he said. Also, there has been no determination of there being added risk either. I'm not saying there isn't. I'm saying that it hasn't been determined yet.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly

At one time people like you said the same thing about rigid wingsuits, snaggy camera mounts, outward protruding ripcord handles, solid cone pin closures, boot lace hooks, non-tapered container flaps, flap stiffeners, anti-wind blast handles, kevlar lines, free-packing without a deployment bag, no riser covers, belly-mounted pilot chutes, capewell riser releases and other things that at the time they could not imagine possibly causing problems. But they all eventually did.

We indeed known from experience that certain things increase the risk of death and injury. Experience also shows that hoodies are not among them. It's not as if no-one has ever previously jumped in a hoodie.

>So a non hooded sweatshirt will actually slow me down better than a hooded one?

About the same, with the non-hooded sweatshirt being easier to manage.

So, "a non-hooded sweatshirt works a lot better." would be an incorrect statement.

They do the job the same. One is just in your opinion 'easier to manage'.

Correct?

We indeed known from experience that certain things increase the risk of death and injury. Experience also shows that hoodies are not among them. It's not as if no-one has ever previously jumped in a hoodie.

Incorrect. Just because it hasn't happened yet, doesn't mean that it can't.

This could be the point where you found a new religion.

If none could come up some real event than let's just sit and watch those jumping in hoodies.

This could be the point where you found a new religion.

If none could come up some real event than let's just sit and watch those jumping in hoodies.

I have no religion - I'm an atheist and a pragmatic realist.

The theistic dogma is the belief that it's impossible for anything bad to ever happen with hoodies. That takes blind faith that does not comport with reality according to history.

I'm not saying that something bad WILL happen. I'm just saying that it's certainly possible. And it's impossible to say that it can NOT happen. Therefore, the prudent response is to not push your luck.

>They do the job the same. One is just in your opinion 'easier to manage'.

I've used both. For me, non hooded sweatshirts work better. They are easier to manage, do not get wadded up between rig and the back of my helmet, and do not come out and flop about under canopy. I used one during the amazingly slow 300 way in 2002.

YMMV.

OK, tell us which injury or fatality has been caused by a hoodie.

Or try looking up "experience" in a dictionary.

Nobody can prove that a hoodie will cause a fatality but it is certainly possible. If you want to jump one go for it, it probably won't kill anyone but you.

It's possible, but unlikely, that all the oxygen molecules in your room will migrate to the ceiling and you will suffocate.

Some things aren't worth worrying about.