cocheese

Have hooded sweatshirts ever caused a malfunction or incident?

When I have a super light AFF student, I will wear my STF hoodie over top of my RW jump suit. I have the draw string removed from the hood too.

No issues I can find with it, other than I have no way to tuck it in other than the leg straps. Probably going to modify it with clips down at the bottom similar to a camera jacket.

Oh, and it gets toasty climbing to altitude in FL in August in a 182. :S:P

"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

wedding rings have caused lost fingers

And even if the finger is not lost, the injury can be very serious. See the attached pictures. After seeing these, I decided that I would never again let any student wear a ring if I could prevent it. And if the pictures are not enough to convince an instructor, think about what a lawyer will do if there was an accident.

Um, yea.... like I said:

there is always some know it all who interrupts me and starts to tell my PAX it's ok to leave a wedding band on, they been jumping for all of 10 yrs and never seen a problem with a ring.

I'm thinking, really numbnuts, why the fuck do you think I ask for them remove that shit.

you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

I had a bad experience jumping with a hoodie, the kind with the joined front pockets. after exiting solo and going on to my back, I noticed something small falling with me in my burble, for a split second I couldn't figure out what it was, it was then that I realized it was the key to my car had fallen out of hoodie pocket. When I instinctivlely reached for it causing me to roll a bit, the wind then hit it and it was gone. I was then educated on the cost of a replacement key for a Honda ($175)

I had a bad experience jumping with a hoodie, the kind with the joined front pockets. after exiting solo and going on to my back, I noticed something small falling with me in my burble, for a split second I couldn't figure out what it was, it was then that I realized it was the key to my car had fallen out of hoodie pocket. When I instinctivlely reached for it causing me to roll a bit, the wind then hit it and it was gone. I was then educated on the cost of a replacement key for a Honda ($175)

There's a REASON why the airlines tell ya to remove keys, pens...anything hard & pointy from your pockets during a crash! ;)

Hard landings cause both impacts in places not expected and twisting & bending in ways sharp objects may cause some harm.

I always empty my pockets before jumping, it would really suck having to use a Swiss army knife to start my car!

...as in cuttin' the keys outta my spleen! :ph34r:

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

So why do people wear hoodies on a jump? Does it keep you warm on any part of the dive? Do you not wear a helmet? Do you wear the hood over your head after opening? Should they be an option on new jump suits? Do you take out the draw string?
Have you ever had a violent cutaway situation? Has another jumper ever caught themselves on any part of your gear during a dive?

Go ahead and think less of me for THINKING there are possible hazards with a hoodie. And like I said.. I will think less of you for NOT thinking there are possible hazards. Fair enough?

1. Yes it keeps me warm. Sometimes I also need additional drag.

2. No, I don't wear a helmet while doing tandems, yes I wear a helmet on most other dives.

3. Yes I have worn the hood under canopy if my head gets cold.

4. Jump suit manufacturers can do whatever they want I will buy what I think suits me best.

5. No I don't take out the drawstrings. They are tied together and tucked away.

6. I have had 2 spun up Velos spin me on my back. (both while wearing camera wings so obviously those didn't kill me).

7. Nope nobody has been entangled on me or my gear.

I never said there is not the possibility for a hazard. You projected that assumption on me since the start of the thread. I have over 2700 camera jumps filming AFF, Tandem, and 4-way teams ranging from intermediate to open.

I don't think less of you for thinking something might pose a hazard. I do think less of you for not paying attention to replies from others.

Also if you had half as many jumps as you do posts, people might take you more seriously.

Gary do you have information about that particular ring injury? How it happened etc?

I have learned something here today. Thanks.

The pictures he linked were from a climber, that apparently put his finger in a bolt hanger just as he was jumping down and the ring caught.

Gary do you have information about that particular ring injury? How it happened etc?

The pictures he linked were from a climber, that apparently put his finger in a bolt hanger just as he was jumping down and the ring caught.

A good frield (retired Marine) knows personally of a jumper who left his wedding ring, finger and most of the supporting tendons in a C-182. He WAS also wearing gloves at the time... the ring caught on the door frame through the gloves. So... can happen.

As to the hoodie, don't personally know of anything happening with them, but I suspect that if long hair can be a problem, a hoodie could too...

JW
Always remember that some clouds are harder than others...

that's irrelevant i can personally assure you it is VERY possible in skydiving too. I almost degloved my finger on a loose blind rivet on the door whilst exiting a Caravan.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Oh I don't doubt rings can/have caused injuries in skydiving. I was just curious as to the event that picture was from.

As far as hoodies go I tuck mine into my jump suit when I wear one. Could it cause a problem? My answer.....MAYBE. Meaning there is some possiblity. So why risk it? It does not benifit me leaving it out. The arguement "I have hundreds of jumps with one and it has never caused a problem before" seems dumb. That doesn't mean it can't or won't.

To each their own though.
I am an asshole, but I am honest

that's irrelevant i can personally assure you it is VERY possible in skydiving too. I almost degloved my finger on a loose blind rivet on the door whilst exiting a Caravan.

Somebody posted a 1st account story a couple years back of a woman leaving both her ring and the finger it was on in the aircraft, IIRC it was reattached.

The arguement "I have hundreds of jumps with one and it has never caused a problem before" seems dumb. That doesn't mean it can't or won't.

Ok, but gloves have been linked to deployment problems, but people still jump them. Camera wings have also been linked to malfunctions, deployment problems and entanglements, but people still jump them. Camera helmets, ring sights, t-shirts, shorts, etc, all linked to actual incidents, and people still jump with them.

Hoods on sweatshirts - no reports of any actual problems. On top of my 100's of trouble free jumps with them, I would suggest that there are tens of thousands of other trouble free jumps from jumpers around the world. I don't think a hoodie is an unusal piece of gear to see on a jump plane, yet there has not been one person to come forward with any type of related incident. Not even a second or thrid hand account, or even a 'a guy once told me about a guy he knew who met some dude who's brother....'.

For the record, I started freeflying before there was such a thing as a 'freefly jumpsuit'. All we had available was street clothes to jump in, and we learned quite a bit through trial and error about what works and what's better left on the ground. At that time, hoodies made the grade, and 15 years later they're still performing well on skydivves all over the world.

To tell you the truth, I think most of you guys are crazy for jumping full face helmets. I don't like the reduced peripheral vision (or the fogging) one bit, and I think it's a liability. Same goes for hand mounted altimeters, I don't want something attached to the back of my hand if I have to reach into a mess of risers, toggles and lines to clear a mal of some sort. Despite my personal feelings, I see that people are comfortable and successful with this gear on a daily basis, so I keep my opinions to myself, and make my own choices accordingly.

Get over it people. One guy started a thread because he thought there might be an issue, and then for whatever reason just wouldn't back down when it appeared that his concerns were unfounded. His unwillingness to admit that he was wrong doesn't make his position any more valid.

To tell you the truth, I think most of you guys are crazy for jumping full face helmets. I don't like the reduced peripheral vision (or the fogging) one bit, and I think it's a liability. Same goes for hand mounted altimeters, I don't want something attached to the back of my hand if I have to reach into a mess of risers, toggles and lines to clear a mal of some sort.

Have you tried the Cookie G2-G3? My G2 I can't see the helmet when I'm wearing it, oddly enough lol. It's just got that huge of a view range. And fogging only happened after you open your chute...which then you just lift the visor up.
I know what you mean about the Altimeter, though. After I got my Alti-track, I was supper excited! Then I saw someone wearing the Pro-track wristband thing and I was jealous.
If I ever wear gloves, it's my cycling finger-less gloves so I can still feel my sac with the tips of my fingers. ;)

I had an incident directly caused by a hooded sweatshirt once!

I loaned mine to an EXTREME hottie one chilly night at the DZ...her boyfriend showed up to return it the next day sporting rather aggressively unpleasant disposition.
A wuffo unfamilar with Skydiving protocal regarding such matters, I offered to hammer it out for him.

She told me over a romantic dinner the following weekend that her EX-boyfriend was 'wound too tight' and that the obvious malfunction caused her to initiate a cut-way procedure!

I conscientiously did a complete & thorough inspection of her hardware and performed several system checks... in the interest of safety ONLY of course. :$

So I do indeed concur ~ Use of hoodies does have the potential of creating unforeseen situations in the skydiving enviroment that require quick & decisive action!! :)

Here is a video where they are testing a bridle getting snagged on a GoPro, notice the attire the tester has choose to wear ;p
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsEI_6cErbM

Hoodie + Skydiving is probably just as dangerous, if not less dangerous then skydiving naked! Imagine someones willy or boobies getting caught in their bridle or risers! (Not sure how but imagination is key here!)

"get over it people. One guy started a thread because he thought there might be an issue, and then for whatever reason just wouldn't back down when it appeared that his concerns were unfounded. His unwillingness to admit that he was wrong doesn't make his position any more valid. "

Dude, you get over it. I'm not wrong that there is a potential hazard. Just because nobody posted an actual incident here in the past 2 days means nothing. Yes I agree the risk is small. But shit happens... more often to dumb people ...who don't try to minimize risk. Everything we wear has been caught on something at one time. So anyway, your unwillingness to admit that there is a risk of unwanted hazards doesn't make your position any more valid either. It's cloth pilot chute, the size of your head, around your neck. Yep, "no way anything can go wrong with that. Never has, never will." Sounds a bit stupid to me.

As for being taking seriously and my post numbers.... That's why I try to stick to Bonfire. I'm a joke and I know it, but I take every jump seriously. Peace out.