cocheese

Have hooded sweatshirts ever caused a malfunction or incident?

I wear a hoodie sometimes when it's cold, and have never had a problem with it. The hood itself isn't long enough to caught in anything, and even then I tend to roll it up inside itself before exit, mainly to keep it from inflating and 'choking' me with my collar.

Really take a look at one being worn with a rig. Pull the hood out and see how far it goes (not that far), and then consider that it's a round peice (no edges or tails) of fairly thick fabric, and you can see that it's not likely to get caught up or wrapped up in anything.

The DZO where I started jumping used to wear a hoodie on every jump in the cooler months, even under his jumpsuit with the hood pulled out of the suit. Again, never a problem.

I'm a big fan of using the right tool for the right job, and I'm very particular about my clothes/jumpsuit and how they fit with my rig and in freefall. A hoodie with the bottom of the sweatshirt pinned securely under my legstraps passes my test for freefall safety, and the hood itself has never been a problem. I do remove the drawstring from any hoodie I plan to jump with.

Keep thinking of how the hood could get in the way on a jump, kids.

OK, so far you have 10,000 jumps telling it's not what you seem to think it is. How about you just come out and tell us what you 'think' the problem is, and let people decide for themselves if it's valid.

The thing is, the success I report is actual, based on making the jumps and not having a problem. I would esitmate that I have between 100 and 200 jumps (conservatively) wearing a hoodie without incident. Your concerns are all 'theoretical' at this point, and not based on any actual experience you have had while jumping a hoodie (I think, correct me if I'm wrong), just what you 'think' might go wrong.

I applaud your thinking, and critical eye on even the smallest detail of a jump. Always, always, always voice any concerns you have about anything, because all you know is what you know, and not what the participant in question knows. Even a guy with 5000 jumps might have overlooked something. Along those same lines, learn to 'give it up' when it seems that your concerns are unfounded.

As with any unnecessary item on a dive, there are things that haven't happened yet, but may happen. There are things you never thought of happening.

Long hair has caused problems, wedding rings have caused lost fingers, shorts pockets have been entangled with pilot chutes, nipple rings have torn out nipples, t-shirts have been pulled over a jumper's right arm at pull time.

Keep making excuses for unnecessary items on dive for your own comfort. I'll keep thinking you're not that bright. Deal?

Keep thinking of how the hood could get in the way on a jump, kids.

OK, so far you have 10,000 jumps telling it's not what you seem to think it is. How about you just come out and tell us what you 'think' the problem is, and let people decide for themselves if it's valid.

The thing is, the success I report is actual, based on making the jumps and not having a problem. I would esitmate that I have between 100 and 200 jumps (conservatively) wearing a hoodie without incident. Your concerns are all 'theoretical' at this point, and not based on any actual experience you have had while jumping a hoodie (I think, correct me if I'm wrong), just what you 'think' might go wrong.

I applaud your thinking, and critical eye on even the smallest detail of a jump. Always, always, always voice any concerns you have about anything, because all you know is what you know, and not what the participant in question knows. Even a guy with 5000 jumps might have overlooked something. Along those same lines, learn to 'give it up' when it seems that your concerns are unfounded.

+1

I may not have 22 years in this sport, but I do have 4x the number of jumps as you. No need to be disrespectful and make assumptions about somebody you don't know.

No I don't wear a packing tool around my neck, I do jump with a line knife though.

I've done tandems, AFF, Freefly, Hop and Pops (low and high) with a hoodie.

I have thought that a hoodie/sweatshirt could cause a problem grabbing handles, but the hood I see no problem.

if a hood getting in the way of a reserve opening maybe you pull your reserve on the ground while wearing a hoodie and see what happens.

And while you are at it maybe you should jump barefoot as those nasty shoestrings might get you killed some day.

So I assume you NEVER wear gloves as they are not necessary either right?

Funny you should mention that, because I literally never wear gloves. I don't even own a pair of gloves suitable for skydiving, and I haven't since my first year jumping. I picked up a pair of soccer goalie gloves my first year, wore them two or three times, and decided that gloves weren't for me.

I like how he seems to think I'm not that bright, but somehow I've made it through 17 years of constant jumping totaling 5500+ jumps, and have recieved a USPA safety award from a national director based on my commitment to safety and the safety of others.

I even tried to be nice, and compliment his attention to detail and the way he voiced his concern, and he comes back with insulting my intelligence. What a dick-licker.

I think it depends on the size of the hoodie.
If its one that fits you then there shouldn't be any problems.

...but if you can fit your whole body inside the hood of the jacket...then I can see where things might get hairy.

Moral of the story? Wear cloths that fit.

When I see someone wearing one on a dive, I just shake my head in disbelief that the jumper doesn't see this a serious hazard.

Discuss.

perhaps the better question would be does anyone know of a malfunction or incident that could be attributed to the hood on any garment.

based on the current replies, it would appear that the answer is "No". Of course that does not mean it's not possible.

as a practical manner, if someone wants the hood over their head, they should probably put some kind of helmet over it so it doesn't blow off.

I have worn a hoodie occasionally but always stick the hood inside my jumpsuit. Generally aim for hood less jumpers.

I did however do a jump a few years ago where I had an odd snag. I was wearing sunglasses with a soft attachment cord (can't think of the right name but you get my drift), attached under my helmet, although the strap did stick out below the lid. On deployment my head was pulled around quite a bit and I felt something snap. Something (risers presumably?) had caught the sunglasses cord and ripped it off - it tore at the rubber attachment point inside the helmet. If that can snag surely it is Possible a hood could...

CJP

Gods don't kill people. People with Gods kill people

I think that it is quite possible for it to be laying over the 3 rings and therefore prevent a cutaway. Of course it could be that the rings would just pull themselves right through, but maybe not.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

I think that it is quite possible for it to be laying over the 3 rings and therefore prevent a cutaway. Of course it could be that the rings would just pull themselves right through, but maybe not.

Again, I would suggest inspecting actually wearing a hoodie and a rig, and you'll see that there's no way in hell that a hood could reach around to the front of your shoulder and even touch a 3-ring. Even if it could make contact, it would need to be able to reach the 3-ring and extend far enough past it to get stuck on something in order to pin itself down and obstruct the funciton of the 3-ring. Once more, try simply laying a hood over a 3-ring on the ground, and try pulling the cutaway handle, you'll see that the rings simply push the hood out of the way, regardless, the hoods on my sweatshirts cannot reach that far far around. None of this is mentioning the fact that the wind would be blowing the hood back, and not forward and down.

Again, critical thinking is good, but at some point you have to believe that some people out there do have half a brain (sometimes more), and poses the ability to vet different ideas or techniques than what you may be familiar with.

Keep making excuses for unnecessary items on dive for your own comfort. I'll keep thinking you're not that bright. Deal?

So I assume you NEVER wear gloves as they are not necessary either right?

Necessary is subjective in this case. I wear gloves on every skydive regardless of weather conditions or type of jump. I started wearing them after getting cuts on my fingers and broken nails from riser slaps during deployment early in my career. So for me, they are necessary.

As for the hoodie thing, it's a lot like the reserve flap mounted slider keeper. As far as I know there has never been an issue with them....yet.
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

It just doesn't seem right to see 5000 jump jumpers defending the right to have a big piece of fabric flopping around your neck.

It could catch on the plane or aircraft you are jumping from in an emergency exit. It could do the short's pocket thing to a burbled pilot chute. It could catch on your Go Pro or helmet cams that caught a line. It could wrap around your lines in a violent cutaway situation, It could make a canopy wrap worse. etc etc.

Would you want a student wearing that stuff? Now a student thinks since Chuck and Dave said it was ok..... I'll wear this stuff..

And we have another poster above that thinks the moral of the story is to wear clothes that fit. How about: Don't wear street clothes because they present unwanted hazards on a dive for nothing in return.

Yes I wear gloves on every jump even if it's hot. But I don't wear scarves, hoods, floppy clothing, packing tools, jewelry, or things I think could and have caused problems to a jumper.

And I don't look up to jumpers with more jumps than me when they set a bad example or do things I think are not a good idea. Like Mr. Bill jumps and hoodies, I'm a "dick-licker" for thinking they are wrong.

Oh well that's fine. But if we get one jumper to think safer from this thread, my job is done.

If we get one jumper to think all these 5000 jump guys said it was not a hazard then I guess your job is done as well. Cool.B|

Well, out of the possibly billions of skydives and BASE jumps with hoodies that people have done across the world, there as been 0 incidents that involve them.

Having a problem with a hoodie is like Homer pouring his cereal and having it catch fire for no reason. (See attached)

So Homer's milk went bad and created a methane gas which was sparked by static. This is why we don't drink milk past the expiration date.:P

So why do people wear hoodies on a jump? Does it keep you warm on any part of the dive? Do you not wear a helmet? Do you wear the hood over your head after opening? Should they be an option on new jump suits? Do you take out the draw string?
Have you ever had a violent cutaway situation? Has another jumper ever caught themselves on any part of your gear during a dive?

Go ahead and think less of me for THINKING there are possible hazards with a hoodie. And like I said.. I will think less of you for NOT thinking there are possible hazards. Fair enough?

Well I hear ya bro..... yep in fact watched some of that weird shit happen over the years. But as you know, we all do something that another might, can or will think is stupid or dangerous. As Mr. Wales once put it, "A man has to know his limitations". You accept the risks you want to accept and others accept theirs.

I have also used a hoodie for many years without a problem, like jumping the many different camera set ups I have used over the years, I did put some thought into my choice of using that attire on jumps, I choose to accept the added risks in using that attire.

wedding rings have caused lost fingers

As a person who has seen 100 yr old ring lost in FF and also knowing a person who left a ring and a finger attached to an airplane on exit..... It always perplexes me when I'm doing my spiel to TDM's about removing phones, keys, jewels & rings..... there is always some know it all who interrupts me and starts to tell my PAX it's ok to leave a wedding band on, they been jumping for all of 10 yrs and never seen a problem with a ring.

I'm thinking, really numbnuts, why the fuck do you think I ask for them remove that shit.
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo