SuperGirl

horizontal ad banner containing vertical ads

so the banners at the top that should be containing horizontal ads only now also show vertical ads
http://screencast.com/t/ENIMoeqn

I'm using latest version of Chrome on Mac OS 10.7 btw.

It's not just annoying, though... since the ads are flash-based, they grab focus on the entire element containing them, which also includes the space to the left, which often contains clickable links that are now unclickable (except for the main nave, that one seems to have a better z-index)

here's a screenshot with the selected area when I click it:
http://screencast.com/t/w4TtlcccJz2y

even in order to write this post I had to inspect the page, kill the div containing the ad, and only then was I able to type in the textarea.

(edited cause I forgot to clickify screenshots)

and here's a FF7 screenshot. broken in different ways..
http://screencast.com/t/G2mhvF4CNWcw

fwiw, putting a height or a max-height css rule on the "#leaderboard iframe" element appears to keep it under control (or at least chrome seems to respond nicely when I add that on the fly in the page inspector). probably not the best fix, but a good quickie :)

Edit:
same in IE8/IE7 on XP... since I just 'happened' to have a vbox lying around ready for testing :)

I have a work-around: Get into your browser options and disable Javascripts. Then refresh the screen, and the vertical ad goes away. Apparently it's thrown out there by a Javascript.

Note: this may have some other undesirable side-effects, for which javascripts are needed. Like inserting the html tags for composing a reply. But at least you'll be able to read the darned message.

Argh, I got an e-mail last night saying that the problem had been sorted out.

I just did 30 minutes of page refreshing with a U.S proxy, and I couldn't get any vertical ads hiding content.

Can someone confirm that it's still doing it for them at this current point in time, if it indeed isn't resolved I'll be removing the banner ads completely until they sort it out.

Thanks for the heads up people, I have already contacted the ad department and I trust the issue will be resolved in the next few hours, once business hours begin.

Still doing it.... and I have IE9

I don't know what computer you're using but it may require using software rendering instead of GPU rendering.

This doesn't appear to be the culprit of the vertical ads however if you're having strange floating ads and video issues with your IE9, see if this is an option.

Click: Control panel
Click: Network and Internet
Click: Internet Options
Click the Advanced tab and scroll to the top.

If there is an option to use Software rendering instead of GPU, select the box, Click apply then OK.

Restart IE9

I gave up on the ads and finally use Adblocker on IE, Chrome, Firefox. This site is often unusable if ads are allowed.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

It just started today for me.
Can't even read much of what
I'm writing now, with ad covering
most of it. Can't proofread. Sorry.

Using Firefox. Will try with
another browser.

Now editing in IE7. Vertical ads still appear where they should be horizontal (top and bottom of page), but don't obscure forums. (just waste a lot of space) I can read posts, and see what I'm writing.

It just started today for me.
Can't even read much of what
I'm writing now, with ad covering
most of it. Can't proofread. Sorry.

Using Firefox. Will try with
another browser.

Now editing in IE7. Vertical ads still appear where they should be horizontal (top and bottom of page), but don't obscure forums. (just waste a lot of space) I can read posts, and see what I'm writing.

Its Baaaaaaaaaaack great big vertical ads pusing everything down.. but at least its not visually over the top of the threads just shoving everything else down.

It's happening to me right now on Chrome and IE9, screen caps attached (quality is reduced due to attachment size limit)

The chrome screen capture also happens to show a blank banner add that has not loaded. This ad failure seems to send the web browser out to lunch, which takes some doing with Chrome.

Chrome screen cap attached, IE9 is as others are reporting.

Its Baaaaaaaaaaack great big vertical ads pusing everything down.. but at least its not visually over the top of the threads just shoving everything else down.

That is browser dependent. On IE it pushes down, on Chrome it is over the top of the forum text.