Andy9o8

Right margin gets all f***ed up

Could you link to some threads that are having the issue or post some screenshots?

Sure.

post with cut-off right margin:

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=3490432#3490432

Thread with endless right-margin:

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=3488634;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread

The first link looks correct to me with Firefox 3, the second is off since some one used a string that pushed the boundry box of their post to beyond what the page is formatted to. We can ban them if you want :D

Could you post a screenshot and provide some info like your screen resolution and your browser?

Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I've seen this happen from time to time. Sometimes I've been able to get the entire post viewable by downsizing the full screen window to a smaller window, sometimes not. I'm not sure why it happens though. I'm using IE 7
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

OK, this might narrow it down a bit:

The "cut-off right margin" problem happens only in IE7, but not in Firefox. It seems to happen whenever a poster replies to a post by hitting the "quote" button (which copies and pastes the previous post), but not when the poster just hits the "reply" button.

The "endless right margin" problem happens identically in both IE and Firefox.

==============

Now here's another problem (unless you want this in another thread): Firefox seems to be not fully compatible with DZ.com. Specifically, in FF:
(1) whenever I try to insert a code (like reply, quote, url, bold, etc.) in the middle of the text in a text-entry box, it always bounces down to the very end of the text in the text box.
(2) The "Copy shortcut" link in each post is missing in Firefox.

Happy hunting, guys!

The Copy Shortcut is a known issue, its an IE only feature. The Javascript needs adjusted for the tags to work based on clicking, its been an issue for a while also.

I think its because there is not a closed "Quote" in a lot of those posts and as such the format is off.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I think its because there is not a closed "Quote" in a lot of those posts and as such the format is off.

Yeah, I came to realize that myself after fiddling around with it awhile in IE. Funny that it only happens in IE, though. I hope you guys can fix that, since lots of people like to use the "quote" button when replying to a post. I also hope you can fix the tags problem in FF, since it makes composing posts in FF kind of a pain.
(And thanks for the info about the Copy Shortcut link.)

Yeah, I came to realize that myself after fiddling around with it awhile in IE. Funny that it only happens in IE, though. I hope you guys can fix that, since lots of people like to use the "quote" button when replying to a post. I also hope you can fix the tags problem in FF, since it makes composing posts in FF kind of a pain.
(And thanks for the info about the Copy Shortcut link.)

I'll run both these by the code monkeys. That FF thing has bugged me for a while, too, actually.

(1) whenever I try to insert a code (like reply, quote, url, bold, etc.) in the middle of the text in a text-entry box, it always bounces down to the very end of the text in the text box.

You know it doesn't do this on Rockclimbing.com. This might be an easy fix.

OK, this might narrow it down a bit:

The "cut-off right margin" problem happens only in IE7, but not in Firefox. It seems to happen whenever a poster replies to a post by hitting the "quote" button (which copies and pastes the previous post), but not when the poster just hits the "reply" button.

The "endless right margin" problem happens identically in both IE and Firefox.

==============

I'm still not quite clear on this one; I can't reproduce it. Will you post me a screen shot?

You know it doesn't do this on Rockclimbing.com. This might be an easy fix.

This one is fixed! Still waiting on screenshots.

It's happening again: right margin extending out into infinity.

See this thread:
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=3544567#3544567

My Netscape browser handles it okay.

It's probably because of Amazon's message #53, in which she appended a thousand smiley-face icons.
If you reply to that message, you'll see how the smiley-faces extend way out all on a single line.

How bout this one? On my FF it extends way out to the right.

(may have to log in) http://www.basejumper.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=2905242;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG