DZBone

Safire and Alternatives

I had the pleasure of demoing a Safire last weekend, and it was pretty cool. I feel like there is a lot I can do with this canopy, that it will still be fun 500 jumps from now. I only loaded it to 1.24:1, as I have really only flown f111 canopies (similarly loaded), and haven't really learned high-performance flying - yet. I've got about 400 jumps and am pretty competent with "low-performance" flying.
My question is, what other canopies would be worth trying before making a decision, either because they are similar, or because they offer other advantages. I was thinking about the Crossfire, but want to ring out something more moderate first. I also have flown a Spectre, but it wasn't fun enough :)I'm also thinking about waiting to try the new Sabre II. Is this worth it, or will I get more from sticking with the ellipticals? How worth it is waiting for the Safire mods?
Thanks!

Can U land that canopy no problem? Then why wait? The crossfire is going to be a lot different and you will want a smaller one (I own both). There are a couple of other "intermediate" canopies out there, the new canopies by precision may be worth a look as well as the cobalt and the new PD offerings. so many choices, so little money!

Demo away dude.
I would keep the wingloading where you are and demo (buy)used parachutes. when you get the fever and begin to want somehting faster than a 1.25 (which could happen quickly once you get the hang of flying ZP), demo smaller parachutes.
Demo, demo ...it is really a good deal...in fact..you could demo all year and probably come out ahead and really know what you like :D
ramon

Safire alternatives, why bother?
I really enjoyed the Safire 149 that I tried last year.
PISA's Hornet is also a slightly tapered 9 cell designed to compete with the Safire. Hornets fly almost as well as Safires, but they mainly compete on price: substantially less!
PD promises that their Sabre II will be another slightly tapered 9 cell that is " more forgiving of sloppy packing." Geeh! sounds a lot like a Safire!

If the new Sabre flares like a "regular" Sabre, flies a little snappier and they eliminate the slammer problem, I'd seriously consider demoing one.
BTW. Do the manufactureers ever sell their demo canopies?
------------
Blue Skies!
Zennie