phoenixlpr

missing thumbnail from Classifieds

I suspect a crappy parser...

Looking at the ad that phoneixlpr originally posted, I get the same thing - no thumbnail, but when you click on it, you get the full-size image. I did a right-click and "save as" on that image and got a file named "ben under canopy.jpg". Linux file(1) says

$ file ben\ under\ canopy.jpg
ben under canopy.jpg: JPEG image data, JFIF standard 1.01, comment: "AppleMark"

and it would be fun to blame it on the Mac, but I looked further. The same seller currently has another ad with a picture, but the thumbnail for that picture displays OK. Full-size, right-click, save as yields "IMG_1482.jpg". file(1) says

$ file IMG_1482.jpg
IMG_1482.jpg: JPEG image data, JFIF standard 1.01, comment: "AppleMark"

So it may not be the file format.

One obvious difference is that the first one has spaces in the file name, and the second one does not. That would be enough to throw off a parser that was written by someone who wasn't thinking clearly.

It should be simple to test. (Probably one of the classifieds editors should do this so they can quickly delete the test ads.) Take any random photo and copy it to two filenames, one with a space in the name and one without. Make one test ad with one photo and another test ad with the other. If the thumbnail doesn't show up for the one with spaces in the filename, there's your answer.

If this is the problem, the Right Way[tm] to fix it is to make the parser not suck. (It probably would take adding exactly two ' characters in the right spot.) The other ways to do it are to somehow stick a shim in between the user form and the classifieds software to rename the file to something without spaces in the name, or to put up a notice on the place-an-ad form that says "don't use filenames with spaces".

Eule
PLF does not stand for Please Land on Face.