ChasingBlueSky

GDI & JPG vunerability

While browsing the site from work, something on DZ.com forums sets off the security alarms on our network and blocks access for periods of time.

It warns that is has detected the GDI & JPG buffer overflow vunerability.

This doesn't happen on every page so I have to believe it is caused by the images some people use as avatars.

After a process of elimination I've found the culprit to be Gawain's avatar. I'm not sure I understand the impact of this as he has used that picture for some time.

The question I have, is this an issue with the picture that is stored on the DZ.com servers or is it related to the version of IE they are running on our thin clients (its locked down, so I can't update it).

[217] Microsoft Multiple Application/OS GDI+ JPEG Processing Buffer Overflow Vulnerability attempt detected (CAN-2004-200)

From 216.18.5.81

(this only happens on my work laptop. never happened before this last couple of days. when the notice pops up from the symantec protection agent, I can no longer navigate to other pages, eg reply to a post etc)

"The reason angels can fly is that they take themselves so lightly." --GK Chesterton

[217] Microsoft Multiple Application/OS GDI+ JPEG Processing Buffer Overflow Vulnerability attempt detected (CAN-2004-200)

From 216.18.5.81

(this only happens on my work laptop. never happened before this last couple of days. when the notice pops up from the symantec protection agent, I can no longer navigate to other pages, eg reply to a post etc)

exactly what I get Mark.....check to see if it happens when you pull up a thread that Gawain has posted in