harro

Question about reserves

Nothing wrong with a 1992 reserve, and there really isn't a specific industry wide limit on the number of jumps. A reserve is good to go as long as your rigger inspects it and says it is airworthy.
Personally I wouldn't buy a reserve with more than 4 or 5 jumps on it, especially if one or more of those jumps was a terminal opening. But there's really no valid reason for that, just my personal bias.
pull and flare,
lisa

Lifetimes on reserve canopies are vague. It is really an "on condition" issue.
Repacking slowly loosens fabric. High speed openings put more strain on fabric and lines, but the worst wear comes from dragging through the weeds.
Practical limits include 40 repacks, 4 terminal openings, more than 1 sewn patch or some vague chronological guidelines. If a rig has been jumped hard (300 jumps per year) in the desert, the container is probably worn out, which leads us to suspect the condition of the reserve canopy. If a rig has been carefully stored in a cool, dry, dark closet, it is probably still airworthy up to 20 years. Older than 20 years, you have to start asking design questions. The oldest square reserves I will repack are Swift 5 cells, which were certified in the low speed category of TSO c23b in 1981. Mind you, the Swift owner will have to listen to a lengthy explanation about how any reserve certified in the Standard Catagory of TSO c23c or c23d would be better. Reserve technology has not changed significantly since TSO c23c was introduced in the mid 1980s.
Finally, I refuse to repack any reserve that is older than me! I turn 44 this month.

What you have to remind yourself is that a reserve is just a parachute. Reserves are designed to be jumped and to be used. A reserve with a number of jumps isn't to be expected to be un-safe. As long as the rigger does his/her job and inspect the canopy and lines each re-pack then there should be no problem using an "older" reserve. However, how much more will it cost you to buy a new reserve?
Blue Skies,
Adam, Senior Rigger