Andy9o8

Browser hijacked by ads on DZ.com

In the past couple of days, whenever I'm on DZ.com, my browser gets hijacked by something from "affiliatetargets.com" whick basically hijacks my browser saying "please check out our sponsor", and redirects me to a site with ads. It's very disruptive. It only happens when I'm on DZ.com, not any other sites, and regardless of which browser I use. I've run anti-spyware/adware programs, but it keeps happening. It only happens on my home computer, not at work.
Sangiro - Is this really a DZ.com-affiliated sponsor?
Others - has this been happening to anyone else, too?

Others - has this been happening to anyone else, too?

Nope.

Sangiro - Is this really a DZ.com-affiliated sponsor?

Doubt it.

it keeps happening. It only happens on my home computer, not at work.

Yup. Spyware.

I've run anti-spyware/adware programs

Then your software is either not up to date, or you need to run a different program. One software title won't catch all the spyware/adware. A lot of the IT guys I know run atleast 3 different programs to clean systems. I typically run 2, then if I still have a major problem, I'll go hand edit the registry and start digging through .dll's by hand as well.

Do some googling on the ad's domain and removal techniques. You'll find something I bet.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Thanks Dave. From past experience it certainly is behaving just like spyware/adware.
I've already run the latest (and definition-updated) versions of Ad-Aware SE Personal, and Spybot. There's another brand, also (the name escapes me, but my IT pro neighbor has it) which I will run, too.
And, yes, it's now time to dig thru the registry, etc. Been there, done that on other computers, so I think I know what to do.
Thanks again.

I'll second that. Even with the best spyware/av software you're in for a ton of hurt with IE simply because of how it's supposed to work.

Firefox design model tends to err far more on the side of the user and that keeps your surfing safer. In real terms I can't think of any major (or minor) sites I've used recently where using Firefox degraded the experience - of course, I hang out here where a degrading experience is expected :P

TV's got them images, TV's got them all, nothing's shocking.

I've already run the latest (and definition-updated) versions of Ad-Aware SE Personal, and
Spybot.

You probably have done this, but make sure you download those *directly* from their manufacturers -
Lavasoft for Ad-Aware and Safer Networking for Spybot-S&D. There are lots of programs that want
you to think that they are Ad-Aware or Spybot, but are at best useless and at worst vectors for more
spyware.

You may want to consider downloading a clean copy of the anti-spyware programs and updates on
your known-clean work machine, and transferring them by flash drive or CD-R to your home machine.
It may also be helpful to boot up your home machine with no network connection when you run the
anti-spyware programs.

I don't have much experience with this, but if you install one of those software firewalls like ZoneAlarm
or similar, you might at least be able to figure out the name of the .exe that is doing the deed. These
programs are fairly useless for daily use, but it might help solve the immediate problem.

I second the recommendation to switch to Firefox. Besides the better security, you can use the "block
images" function and get the Flashblock extension and basically not see ads anymore.

Don't laugh too loud, but if you are still running 98 or Me, consider an upgrade to Win2K or XP. The
security in 2K and XP is marginally better than 98 and Me. Whatever you run, make sure it's got the
latest patches from Micro$oft.

You could go off the deep end and never worry about this crap again. :)

Eule
PLF does not stand for Please Land on Face.

The security in 2K and XP is marginally better than 98 and Me.

It's a hell of a lot better - there is no security in any of the 9x line and there's quite sophisticated options in NT/2K/XP. The problem with Windows security is that it wasn't really architected for dealing with untrusted executables.

The problem with Windows security is that it wasn't really architected for dealing with untrusted executables.

No, I'd say the real problem is PEBKAC. You can make a NT/2K/XP box very secure. You can even semi-secure a 9x box, but you can't secure a user from themselves.

PEBKAC: Problem Exists Between Keyboard and Chair. Pronounced "PebKack":P
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

PEBKAC: Problem Exists Between Keyboard and Chair. Pronounced "PebKack":P

I'm sure it's some of the more slightly weird sites my teens visit. I've run Spybot & Ad-Aware weekly for some time, but I got busy & hadn't run either for about a month. The result - this crap.
Anyhow, update - yep, it was spyware all right; I ran the de-bugs, found the crap, cleaned the system, and re-lectured the kids for the 87th time. Problem solved. (Until the 88th...)