footballhokie

Cold Weather Skydiving

I got my licence over the summer and it was great, but then school came back and I've been out of the air for about 90 days so i lost my currency. the good news is that with thanksgiving break i will be able to go spend i weekend at the drop zone and burn the rest of my bank. but with the resent whether i am a bit concerned having never jump in anything colder than 50 degrees. so basically i was just wondering what clothing is appropriate for jumping and staying warm? obviously gloves, check, but what else. i was reading that hoodies create a potential entanglement hazard, and i would have never thought of that. so what are your thoughts on what you jump with in cold weather?

Welcome. This has been discussed a few times on here. You'll find the Search function on the 2nd toolbar up top to be helpful. Here, I'll get you started:

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=search_results&search_forum=forum_18&search_string=%22cold+weather%22&search_type=AND&search_fields=sb&search_time=&search_user_username=&sb=post_time&mh=500

Weather you jump in the cold whether is up to you. :P

Wear layers, you aren't exposed to the cold that long, but you will sweat you butt off once you are back packing in the warmth. I don't know why you would want to jump with a sweat shirt when you could wear a heavier weight base layer, warmer and way less crap under your jumpsuit.

Gloves are good, but they shouldn't be bulky, and they should grip your handles well. Practice how all of your handles feel with the gloves, don't forget the little tab on your RSL lanyard.

I would rather have thinner gloves that leave my hands a little cold in the tail end of the season, than toasty hands in gloves that make it hard for me to hookup my students, feel all of my handles.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

Beware of glove/handle combination. It can be deadly.

Wear gloves which allow you to feel precisely your main and reserve handles. And, REPEAT and do an ACTUAL PILOT CHUTE THROW AWAY on the ground. I cannot be clearer.
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.

About the glove, I use thin neoprene glove and they are perfect (i use to have it for kayaking). Make sure to practice before because some neoprene gloves are bulky.

If you have a full face helmet, make sure you have anti-fog on your visor. That make a huge difference

I'm new in this sport too and was searching for the same answer on here. I went last weekend while it was cold and dressed in layered shirts and sweatpants under pants under jumpsuit. Only thing that was cold was my feet..they were numb for landing. But otherwise, not bad at all. Like veryone else said though, check your gloves. I wore thin snowboaridng gloves and they are a little too bulky, but as long at you can throw your pilot chute and flare..

I'm new in this sport too and was searching for the same answer on here. I went last weekend while it was cold and dressed in layered shirts and sweatpants under pants under jumpsuit. Only thing that was cold was my feet..they were numb for landing. But otherwise, not bad at all. Like veryone else said though, check your gloves. I wore thin snowboaridng gloves and they are a little too bulky, but as long at you can throw your pilot chute and flare..

.... and are able to properly grab AND pull cutaway & reserve ripcord handles, able to grab riders to kick out linetwists etc.

There's more to it then you'd do during an "all-goes-well" skydive. If the gloves don't keep you from being able to do all things you might have to do during yourjump, then they're suitable gloves;)

I bought this pair of Monkey Grease multipurpose gloves from Home Depot for $10. (see attached)

Got 3 jumps with them today. Work great and can feel the hacky just fine! And no cutting feeling on the hands when pulling the toggles after freezing them in the air lol

I carry around a box of disposable latex/rubber gloves during the winter. Put the gloves on under at std pair of neumans (sp?). Was ~ -15F today when I got out. Hands were toasty warm. Used them all last winter too.

A box of 50 is ~$5 at your local food store.

Cheap Mechanic's gloves w/cheap $10 liners work in all but the coldest temps for me. Latex gloves hold in moisture. Neoprene duck hunting gloves w/those same liners cover the really brutal days.

OP, talk to your instructors. There are too many things you might overlook before pull-time. Everyone has their preferences here. Talk to the peeps that are partly responsible for your safety.

Last weekend I used those little warmer pouches in my gloves. Wish I had started using those years ago. B|

I wouldn't suggest using them in your shoes though.

Especially heavy weight military combat boots.

Trust me. B|
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message