faitor

235lbs @ 160mph++

I was wondering if anyone can tell me what some good and bad chutes are? I am at 235lbs and plan on doing some extreme flying as I get more advanced. The only problem is that I am concerned with the idea of a blowout or damaging my chute when/if I deploy at higher airspeeds. I am at a DZ altitude of 5,000ft if this is also a consideration. I am not really concerned about getting the big name brands such as PD,Icarus...I would like to hear about all of them. I have recently heard some good things about P.I.S.A?? Any help is appreciated,Thanks!!

My container and PD reserve are tested under TSO C23d, which I believe are the latest standards out there, for max weight of 250 pounds (254 pounds for reserve) and 150 knots max deployment speed. My main is rated for about 135 knots max. Just curious, why not slow down before deploying?
Craig

Just about any tso 23 chute will do.
If I where you, I would be more concerned with makeing sure your harness/container system didn't allow you to be in a situation that deployed at 160mph (Buy a very good freefly rig). That and dual audibles, and whatever else you need to be able to deploy, at the proper altitude and speed. Your DZ altitude does add a bit to the problem.
Have fun.

Get super baggy freefly suit with double fabric in arms and legs, and stay around 150...heh heh.
Actually I think Cobalts and some Icarus chutes are placarded for Higher deployment speeds. I dump in my Space 150 (1.5..precursor to Cobalt)) in a track all the time and it opens slowly. In anycase they open more gently and probably experience less stress to themselves and the jumper compared to our favorite hard opening chute. I have heard of at least 3 heatwaves by Pisa blowing up, but all of those were loaded about 1.8. A bigger Hornet (190) would probably be fine.
If you're really worried about it get a used Triathlon with good lines and a tight rig and get on your belly before you pull.
Ramon

Why did you say that about the Triathlon? My husband and I just bought Triathlons and now some people are telling us stories about them spanking people on deployment and blowing up. We had always heard really good stuff about Triathlon before. I can definitely say you can't beat Aerodyne's customer service! They've been super.

Mabye I was a little vague.
Triathlons are a good soft opening canopy albeit they are not surf machines ( I put 175 jumps on one, without a hard opening and I can surf it a little, but not like an eliptical 9 cell). If he is really worried about blowing up a new one, buy a used reliable canopy.
ramon

First of all flip on your belly for at least 10 seconds before deploying any canopy at the bottom end of a speed dive.
Secondly, those stories about Triathlons opening hard are circulated by sloppy packers and salesmen for other brands. Triathlons only open heard if the slider is not all the way to the top of the lines or the rubber bands are loose.
If you want a reserve certified for more than 150 knots deployment speed, you might want to wait until Precision releases their new line of reserves this summer.

those stories about Triathlons opening hard are circulated by sloppy packers and salesmen for other brands. Triathlons only open heard if the slider is not all the way to the top of the lines or the rubber bands are loose.

Glad to hear that! My husband's is due to be delivered today. He's been following it with the UPS tracking number. He has called from work about 5x already today asking if it's here yet. My Tri is on the table waiting to meet her new brother! :)blue 111,
D

riggerrob wrote:

Triathlons only open heard if the slider is not all the way to the top of the lines or the rubber bands are loose.

Okay, since were talking about Triathlons now, I have a question. Aerodyne wants you to use microline rubber bands. The only thing that seems to be a pain is that it looks like I will have to replace them every five to ten jumps cause they stretch out and don't grip as well. I don't want to use tube stoes but have seen the "Super Bandz" Aerodyne sells (see here). Can anyone vouch for these? Are they going to break in the situations you want them to like regular rubber bands will? Just curious if anyone has any expierence with them. As a sidenote about hard opening Tri's, mine was Mfd. 3/2001 and I have about 10 jumps on it so far loaded at 1:1 and other than two off-heading openings with no linetwists (packing expierments:)Craig

I saw those but didn't know anyone who had tried them and I knew they hadn't been out too long so we decided to hold off on using them. I'd be interested to hear what others had to say about them, too.
BTW My husband's rig finally came... about 6:00 tonight! He must have called me 20 times today even though I said I'd call as soon as it came. We had given up as the UPS building closed at 5:00 but guess they still have trucks out, you just can't drop off packages. Now I'm sitting here laughing watching him try to get it in the bag. Of course, it came all packed but he had to play with it! :)blue 1111,
D

the "Super Bandz" Aerodyne sells (see here). Can anyone vouch for these? Are they going to break in the situations you want them to like regular rubber bands will? Just curious if anyone has any expierence with them.

I use the super Bandz and really like them, but leave yourself some extra time for packing because until you get used to them they are a bitch to get your bag closed. After my first couple of pack jobs with them I was ready to throw them away. But they do work great and they will break when they need to, however they also last alot longer then the conventional rubber bands. After you get used to them its not bad at all. I jump a Triathlon 175 loaded at a 1.25
Bleau Skies

I don't want to use tube stoes but have seen the "Super Bandz" Aerodyne sells

I've been using some called SkyBands, which are also high-quality flat elastics. I have to say I liked tube stoes better for packing, but I feel a bit more comfortable with these heavy-duty elastics. They do wear and break, but less frequently that standard "office" elastics.
Oh, and they are a hell of a lot cheaper than tube stoes.
Carl