Zennie

Broken Front Riser Loop

So I'm out doing a couple of mid-week jumps to get my fix in. Last jump of the day I decide to play with front riser turns up high. So I reach up, grab the right loop, start pulling down and **SNAP**, the thing breaks. WTF?
So I do a left riser turn instead.
I got down, trash packed and took the rig home so I could repack and examine the riser & loop. The loop broke right above the stitching. It doesn't appear to have damaged the riser itself (though I'm gonna have a rigger look at it before I jump it).
Has anyone else had a front riser loop break on them like this? Anything I can have my rigger do to prevent this from happening again? Seems like if that happened at the wrong time it could seriously ruin your day. :o
------------
Blue Skies!
Zennie

Were your actual loops made out of type 17, or are they the thinner 1" material that toggles are sewn out of? Also, as questioned in the first response, did you just pull out the stitching or did the webbing itself break? If your loops are type 17 and they actually did break, then there is a very high probability that the risers themselves (if type 17) are deteriorating also. Definitely get your local rigger to check it out. I always have at least one extra set of risers laying around "just in case". I used sew my own dive loops, moving them around if I didn't like the way they were. Luckilly, I never had a set fail on me due to excessing sewing.
If you just pulled the stitching out, or your loops were made out of the thinner webbing and tore over the bar-tack, then you should be good to just re-sew them.
Chuck

It broke right above the stitching. The stitching itself is still intact on the riser webbing.
The loops are made of thinner material than the riser webbing. Maybe even thinner than the steering toggles. The webbing appears to have just given out.
------------
Blue Skies!
Zennie