Brokeneagle

ZP vs. F-111

I am downsizing and changing over from a Fury 220 to a Sabre 170- have never flown a ZP before- what will be the differences of the landing characteristics/ flare-abilities of the two? I'm a conservative-to-timid flyer and have been told the Sabre is a stable canopy that holds pressurization well. I'm sure I'll have to change flare technique to adjust to the flatter glide of the ZP, but that's all I'm sure of. :)

Thanks for the reply, Doc! I weigh 142- exit weight approx. 162-- been under the Fury 220 for over 60 jumps--before that, rode DZ rentals or O.P.s, all F-111's, all 200 ft or bigger... I wear a leg brace full time,(hence the nickname)and am nervous about the big change, but have been told that the downsizing will improve my landings; just not getting enough lift or drive wing-loading the Fury so lightly. :)

As the other sting says: Sabres are less forgiving of sloppy packing.
Aside from the flatter glider and more energy in the flare, the biggest difference when down-sizing will be the speed. The key to surviving under faster canopies is keeping your mind ahead of the canopy.
Never let a canopy get someplace that your mind has not been five minutes earlier.

Im not sure if he has any seminars coming up, but John LeBlanc(performance designs) gives an incredible lesson on landing high performance canopies, everything from approach, flare, to general flying of the zp squares/ellipticals. you might try to look at PD's website to see if there is anything there.
blue skies
jaybird

Thanks, guys- feedback and research are showing MANY complaints about the Sabre I was not aware of- some folk are claiming only the slider needs to be modified to even out the openings, but with so many people telling horror stories of whack openings, mebbe I'll just in-ves-tee-gate this thang further before I plunk down my money- still need to downsize, that Fury's too big for my Dolphin D-2-- have heard many good reports on the Spectre... Blue Skies!! :)