chuckakers

Get a gear check, dangit!

Ok so some places also do it a little differently where you must sign next to your OWN name to say that someone else has checked you.

This allows those that really arent bothered about a check to just sign for themselves, but encourages everyone else to get a proper check. The DZ is then covered showing that they do what they can to make sure everyone is checked and to keep a record of it.

You should make it a rule that every jumper on the load should be checked by someone, who then puts their initials next to the jumper's name on the manifest. I know that is a crazy idea and would literally be infringing on freedoms though.

That's insane. It exposes the signator to legal liability and implies a responsibility which does not and should not exist.

After an incident the specifics of gear and events are often uncertain and open to speculation. People have been sued for selling a piece of paper used to record reserve I&R found in a bounce rig.

This is one thing I cannot understand, how can a 30s gear check infringe on freedoms? Surely it is better for the DZ to ensure their jumpers are correctly geared up - any accident that can be caused is surely more hassle than printing a copy of manifest and ensuring jumpers initial next to their own name when been checked.

There's a difference between giving inspections and signing a document certifying the correct rigging of someone else's gear each load. However the existence of any kind of formal check rule implies responsibility and threatens to financially ruin any jumper should someone go in reagrdless of fault.

It sucks but that's the reality of the legal system that has arisen in the USA and elsewhere.

You won't find a window or green on my pilot chute or bridle since
I jump a bungee pilot chute. Make sure you know someone else's gear as well as your own before doing gear checks for someone else!

Not all kill-line style PC bridles have windows.
Was surprised when my new Racer arrived without one.

JW
Always remember that some clouds are harder than others...