chuckakers

Get a gear check, dangit!

Just a little reminder that gear checks save lives and reserve repacks, regardless of who you are or how many jumps you have....

I organize jumps at Skydive Spaceland in Houston and always insist that folks on my jumps get a gear check FROM ANOTHER JUMPER before boarding the plane on every jump. Recently I was checking the gear of a good friend and very competent jumper with about 1,000 jumps as we stood in the loading area waiting for the plane, and found his cutaway handle pulled completely out of its' pocket, just dangling there waiting to be a problem at the worst possible moment.

He confirmed that he checked his gear before donning it, so we presumed that he somehow caught the handle on something between the packing area and the loading area.

We also do a visual inspection and confirm handle and attachment points before exit.

Gear checks, please.
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

+1 Chuck
On my jump 10 or so DZM stopped me when I was walking towards a plane on the taxiway call - I didn't do my chest strap at all. 15 jumps later I found my chest strap misrouted just before leaving the plane. I nearly killed myself 2 times already, since then I always do few gear check before boarding and in the plane and keep an eyes on other peoples gear especially chest straps and handles.

I know that is a crazy idea and would literally be infringing on freedoms though.

Would they rather be injured/killed?

This is one thing I cannot understand, how can a 30s gear check infringe on freedoms? Surely it is better for the DZ to ensure their jumpers are correctly geared up - any accident that can be caused is surely more hassle than printing a copy of manifest and ensuring jumpers initial next to their own name when been checked.

He is being sarcastic.

This is exactly what we do in the UK. Everyone must get a gear check, and everyone is taught flightline checking (i.e. the key things to check) as part of their B Licence.

Students must be checked by instructors, and A licences must have a visual check that their AAD is on (compulsory for A licence and students).

I've caught a few chest straps over the last few years, although funnily enough most of them were when jumping abroad and gear checks weren't as common, I just happened to be doing random visual checks which is something I do on every jump.

What could possibly go wrong? :ph34r:

Looks fine for plan B. His Velcro was probably a little worn.
Every fight is a food fight if you're a cannibal

Goodness is something to be chosen. When a man cannot choose, he ceases to be a man. - Anthony Burgess

So true.

Yesterday I saw a jumper in Florida land under a reserve canopy because his main handle was completely stuffed into his BOC pouch. He admitted that he didn't check his gear before exit.

Wow. Checking the handle when I first put the rig on (among other times) is so ingrained that I even do it when I put a backpack on.
The "check of threes" is a very, very strong habit for me.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Well in that case it looks like a good place to put it - if you don't tuck it away, once in freefall it will be floppin' all over the place.
Maybe next time, put the chest strap through - just to make sure! B|

"Whoever in discussion adduces authority uses not intellect but memory." - Leonardo da Vinci
A thousand words...

So true.

Yesterday I saw a jumper in Florida land under a reserve canopy because his main handle was completely stuffed into his BOC pouch. He admitted that he didn't check his gear before exit.

Wow. Checking the handle when I first put the rig on (among other times) is so ingrained that I even do it when I put a backpack on.

Same here, wear a backpack to work and find myself checking for the handle rather often to the point where ive been asked wtf im doing. also i can no longer wear said backpack without the chest strap closed....

Then ya get it fixed, sayin' it's OK to jump with gear rigged like that is about as dumb as doin it.

How'd that fishhook taste? It's not too often someone snags you... ;)B|
Every fight is a food fight if you're a cannibal

Goodness is something to be chosen. When a man cannot choose, he ceases to be a man. - Anthony Burgess

Then ya get it fixed, sayin' it's OK to jump with gear rigged like that is about as dumb as doin it.

How'd that fishhook taste? It's not too often someone snags you... ;)B|

Comin' from you 'I' knew it was tongue in cheek, problem is the 100 jump wonder using something like that as fuel for foulin' up. . .;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

It's apparently been a while since you've hung out with the CRW dawgs? ;)

I've seen one sewn in the pocket with red reserve seal thread once on a crew dogs rig...:S

Yeah THAT should be just fine! B|

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Remember many moons ago doing gear check for someone I was going up doing 2 way with. I caught a twisted leg strap on ROL throw out which would have resulted in PCIT and on that same jump he also had a floating reserve handle.

You should have done a full gear check and he wouldn't have had a floating reserve handle :P

Remember many moons ago doing gear check for someone I was going up doing 2 way with. I caught a twisted leg strap on ROL throw out which would have resulted in PCIT and on that same jump he also had a floating reserve handle.

You should have done a full gear check and he wouldn't have had a floating reserve handle :P

I'm just guessin' but maybe he found AND fixed it on the ground.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

You should make it a rule that every jumper on the load should be checked by someone, who then puts their initials next to the jumper's name on the manifest. I know that is a crazy idea and would literally be infringing on freedoms though.

Now, that might make some lawyer's job a little easier! :S

Few years back there was a pic going around of a rig that had been checked into a boogie, then jumped several times before anyone noticed that the person tagging the rig had put the tag (zip-tie) around the main lift web through the reserve handle.

Look for the stupid shit as well at the expected.

JW
Always remember that some clouds are harder than others...

So true.

Ditto. When I put on the rig, before I get on the plane, after lift-off, getting ready before the door goes up, and usually right before I get in the door.