Dutchboy

What causes end cell closures?

Not exactly sure why, but as aspect ratio increases, it's more and more difficult to keep the end cells pressurized. That's why the high aspect ratio canopies are elliptical - the shorter chord at the edges of the canopy makes it easier to keep the end cells filled.
Blues, squares,
PTiger

Basically the center cell inflates first and some time later the other cells catch air. Frequently as the center cell surges forward, the top skin wraps down over the nose, closing it and delaying inflation of the other cells. One other factor is that side loads during turns try to push the air out of end cells, collapsing them after a normal inflation.
Manufacturers have invented many cures for closed end cells, the most important cure being cross ports that allow pressure in the center cell to blow sideways and fill the end cells.
Small stabilizers also reduce side loads in turns, thereby reducing end cell closures after a normal opening.
If you want to see the latest tricks for inflating end cells, look at a new BASE canopy like a FOX.

When I was jumping an F111 7 cell loaded at about .75 I had end cell closure on just about every jump. I was told it was in part due to my light wingloading. Luckily it's an easy fix - I got into the habit of pumping the toggles as soon as I opened cuz I knew the end cells wouldn't be inflated yet.
pull and flare,
lisa

Thanks for the info.
I guess I've been having closed end cells a few times lately, and I was wondering if it had anything to do with me and how I might be packing or deploying.
I've never had the end cells deflate after opening. I'm loading my canopy at about 1.24 lbs/sq ft. With the two end cells closed the loading is effectively 1.6 and the canopy will dive a bit instead of having the normally flat glide with brakes still stowed. I just give the rear risers a couple of yanks and everything is good.
I'm curious if I'm doing something differently, because I never really saw this at all until recently.