Staso

packing volume

hi all !
currenlt i'm looking to replace my pd-190 main. i have dolphin d3 container and my rigger says that it is
understuffed for pd-190. i was looking for something smaller and higher in performance, but something
what still would fill in my container good. suprisingly, the canopy i consider, which is Icarus Safire 169
is actually bigger in packing volume that PD-190 ! PD190 has 442 cub.in, and Safire 169 has 452
cub.in. packing volume ! I know that Safire is ZP and PD is not. But anyway ZP 169 shold have
smaller pack volume. Sabre 170 for example has only 364 cub.in. packing volume !
It's not a big concern for me now, since it will fit my container good, but just curiosity sake, why safire
is so big in terms of packing volume?
thanx.
stan.

Ignore most of the pack volume numbers published by canopy manufacturers.
Stick with volume numbers published by Altico - the folks who made your Dolphin. They are the ones who know best which canopies will pack gracefully into your D3.

Each canopy manufacturer measures differently. Icarus is actually changing their method to match PDs because the numbers a quite different. It's not only pack volume where a 170 does not always equal a 170.
-mob

I know that icarus measures canopies differently, but it makes it's even more strange. Basically, safire 169
in PD terms has even smaller square footage, but still has big packing volume.
I sent a message to Altico (Dolphine) and to Icarus and I hope their answers will clarify it.
Thanks to everybody for responds !
Stan.