apoil

broken private messages

Just read the FAQ posting on how to check for private messages.
Great stuff.
Turns out I had one that was a few days old, but when I try to reply to it, when I press the "submit" button, it tries to DOWNLOAD the perl program (the CGI Script)
mess_reply.pl rather than EXECUTING it on the Server.
I've tried it in Netscape, IE, and Opera, all with the same results so very likely a bug on your end.
Same thing happens when I try to send a private message.
I'm prompted to download "sendmessage.pl".
Curiously, when I download these files they are not perl scripts, but html pages.
That's about the extent of my diagnosis. Suffice to say it ain't working.

Windows NT 4.0
Netscape 4.76, IE 5 and Opera 5.12
I have a suspicion that it is because .pl is a registered executable type on my workstation (I'm a developer and have activestate perl installed)
and the page is labeled with .pl and might be given a funky or nonexistent content type.
I notice that other pages (like this one) are
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forums/newreply.pl?Cat=&Board=bug_reports&Number=37854&page=0&view=collapsed&what=showflat&sb=5&o=7&part=1&vc=1
which is also a .pl, but has arguments..
When posting the private message, perhaps the lack of arguments are confusing the browsers into behaving the same way as if I were downloading a .exe URL.
I'm going to play with my local settings and see if I can find a fix.

This is weird. I just sent a PM and replied to another, both to Michele, but now when I try to reply to or send to zclubber1, I get the "Save" dialog.
This is on Mozilla 0.9.3 on Linux. I tried using Netscape 4.47 w/ the same results!

Morning, HH.
Not to confuse the issue any, but the two people I get this with is Zclubber and Wildblue. I tend to go through my control panel to the little PM box, and hit "send a pm", but it has happened when I have clicked over on their name.
It invariably happens with at least these two guys each time. One good note: even tho I get the box, the pm gets sent anyway.
BTW, thanks again for an excellent site, and for all the work you do here on our behalf!
ciels-
Michele
"What of the dreams that never die? Turn to your left at the end of the sky".
~e e cummings~